Maternal & Child Community
baby bumper safe??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

baby bumper safe??

well we just got back from our baby beginnings class and learned stuff-this is my first child -so of course i want to do what i can-i have lots of knowledge but htere are still some stuff i dont know-well yesterday was my surprise baby shower and i got lots of good stuff-i got this winnie the pooh set and bumper was included for the crib-the nurse that was teaching the class said they are not safe and can cause SIDS-she said all that should be in there is the baby and light blanket-what do you think?? what would u recomended-
I didn't use the bumpers at all with either of my girls because of those reasons.  It's just a piece of "prettiness" that really isn't need, especially with newborns.  And as long as you have an newer crib the slats aren't an issue for getting stuck (except for legs when they get older and are trying to climb out! lol)  Be on the safe side, don't use the bumper, find a home for it or toss it away.  Even if it is part of a set, it is only for design not practicality or safety.
thank you-yeah we plan to use bassinet at first anyway
I didn't use bumpers with either of my DDs. I bought them but couldn't bring myself to use them because I felt to guilty knowing of the SIDS risk. Please don't put any light blankets in your baby's crib either. No stuffed animals, blankets, pillows or bumpers. A sleepsack is perfect.
I used the bumper that came with a quilt set to replace a dust ruffle on a daybed that we left in the baby's room (for mom to collapse on in the middle of the night LOL) and it looks really cute as a dust ruffle.  The SIDS thing is that bumpers can block air flow and the baby will be in a pool of carbon dioxide, or else the baby can roll his face into the bumper and not move it away.  It is a good idea to heed the nurse's advice, the manufacturers of those quilt sets have not yet gotten the message.  Good luck!

ps  I also recommend a sleepsack or swaddler, not a light blanket, because the sleepsack/swaddler will keep the blanket out of the baby's face.
I didn't put the bumper in until my DD was older, newborns don't move at night anyway so they won't bump their heads.
They do little mesh bumper things, it's not paded, I think it's just for them not to get their members stuck between the bars
I made a beautiful set for my ds, went to prenatal classes and realized I had wasted the afternoon.  I put them on the crib when he was older, but he kept sticking his head under them and I was worried he was going to choke.  I don't think I will bother with this baby at all.

I love sleep sacks.  I made several for my son and for shower gifts.