Maternal & Child Community
baby losing weight--any ideas?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

baby losing weight--any ideas?

Hi there.  I have posted a few times about my little one, who is now 9 months old.  She was 5 weeks preemie, but for the most part healthy.  But she is just a puny little girl.  She has gotten everything you could think of:  thrush (that got resistant to Nystatin), acid reflux, multiple ear infections, tubes put in a few weeks ago, and catches every little sickness that goes around.  Ever since the tubes she has been up a lot at night and eating much more--I have started ovew the last few weeks trying to give baby food 2-3 times a day.  I am still breastfeeding and she usually eats around 6-8 times a day, whereas she used to eat 4-5 times a day and no solids.  I took her to the dr yesterday for yet another sickness:  pink eye, a bad cold, and possibly strep throat.  When they weighed her, she had lost weight.  My dh and I both knew she was losing, but I figured with all she was eating that she would have gained it back by now.  But over one month she lost .5 pound.  She is 9 months and weighs 16 lbs 11 oz, so she isn't underweight, just small.  She is behind developmentally (rolling every now and then from stomach to back but not ever the other way and sitting up but that is it) so she isn't expending alot of energy.  The dr seemed concerned but we go back in a month and he said we would look at it then.  Any ideas on why she is losing weight?  Anyone go through this with their little ones?  Thanks--any info would be helpful!  I am finding myself worried yet again!
Some times when they are cutting teeth children loose their appitite.

The other times I can imagin is when they are sick or becomming sick with a flu..

sorry I am not much help but best of luck with your little Angel.

RUbbie
Has your daughter been evaluated for her delays? If you live in the US, there are a few resources you may be able to tap into, but it varies greatly by state. Also, have you seen a dietician? Sometimes they can give you some great advice for keeping or putting weight on babies.

A huge thing to consider is genetics. If your family or dh's family are small in stature, it will reflect on her and would make her size little cause for concern.

I agree that the weight loss is more than likely due to her being sick and 1/2lb isn't a huge loss, even though it seems like a lot. Just keep doing what you are doing and see if you can pull her through her yuckies and get her back on track.

Good luck!

Andrea
She may eat more with the tubes in because it no longer causes pain to swallow, my son had tubes...My daughter is 13 months and only ways barely 20 pounds, and eats like food is going out of style.  I would however be concerned with her catching everything, she must have a weak immune system, and the delays should be follwed up on. My son had the speech of a 6 month old at 26 months, and now at 38 months with the help of programs for delays, he is speaking almost at his exact level.  In the US there are a  ton of programs to help out with almost any problem, most are free, and wonderful! Good luck I hope things turn out for the best! Jana
why is she not eating solid foods yet?  by 9 months she should be eating almost ALL solid foods.. is it because she was a preemie?  Maybe she's not getting enough calories through breastmilk only?  My son had breast and formula since day one, becuase of his appetite? We started solids at 5 months and by 6 months he was eating finger foods.  He is now 10 months and eats everything we eat.  He gets about 40 oz of formula on top of that and he is STILL only in the 65th percentile for weight!  He is on schedule to be 7 foot tall however, so he's always been long and thin.  He weighs 23lbs and is 31 inches!!  haha

momttc
Thanks for the comments.  She does eat solids--it took her a while to adapt to them, but she loves them now.  She eats 3 times a day (solids) and then I nurse her every 4 hours and Cheerios.  She definitely acts like that is plenty, so I don't know how to force more.  Already with the solids more frequently she is spitting up alot more.  

When we go for her 9 month visit I am definitely going to ask about her development.  The dr mentioned it being slow at 6 months and us doing therapy, but he was 50/50 on whether it was needed at the time.  Our families keep saying how good she looks and that we are overreacting to her being behind.  At 9 months, what exactly should she be doing?  My sister's 10 month is crawling and pulling up; my dh sister's 6 month is starting to crawl and rolling over, so I know there is a wide spectrum.  Mine is only rolling front to back some and sitting on her own, although she still falls over every now and then so we have to pad around her.  She was preemie, so I think she will be slow.  But is this too slow?  Is 16# 11 oz too small for a 9 month old?

Thanks again!
Crawling isn't considered a developmental milestone, surprisingly enough. But rolling over it and so it sitting up unattended. By 6 mos, most preemies (not the case for micros) are catching up with their peers developmentally. I would get a jump on getting a developmental screening. The sooner things are addressed, the better. It may be nothing, but it is better to be safe.

As far as her size, girls are smaller than boys by nature and like i had mentioned, genetics plays a huge role. I think you are on the right track with the nursing, it is definitely the best form of nutrition for the first year. If she seems full, trust her, don't force her to eat if she isn't hungry. Just be mindful of her hunger cues and make sure she is eating frequently : )

Andrea
All kids roll and such at different ages, but it doesn thurt to jump start it. My son was standing holding on to things at 6 months, rolling at 3 crawling at 4 and half, my daughter on the
other hand was a little slower at it all, my son turned 3 in november he is 43 1/4 inches and 40 1/2 pounds.  My daughter at 13 months is 20 pounds and kinda short although I dont know her exact measurement.  I dont think 16 pounds at 9 months is small at all for a girl especially a premie. My cousins twins are 2 and they are 22 pounds, they were premie.  It all varies! Jana
Thanks for all of the comments!  I think we will call the dr Monday and try to schedule an evaluation for her development and just keep a close eye on her weight.  It is quite ironic, however, because today she has eaten less than she has in quite a while (she is not wanting to nurse very good) and now that I am mindful of her weight I am keeping tabs on every little bit she doesn't eat!  She is just going to keep us guessing.
Thanks again.
Be very thankful for your 16# 11oz.  I have a grandson that is 9 months and a whopping 9 # 12 oz.    He also has trouble eating.  (full term 3# 3oz, clef lip & pallet)   He has his lip fix and we are waiting till he's 15 months to fix the pallet.     He can not eat solids due to choking,  He can not sit up at this time.  

Is'nt it a blessing the way GOD show us that what we consider to be big problems are not so big when we look at someone else's problems.

God bless you and you child
a half a pound is really not that much weight. Especially if your baby weighs that much already at 9 months. my dd at one point of time was up to 36 pounds. now at age 2 1/2 she only weighs 31 pounds. I know its not a great comparison as she walks and is all over the place, but i too worried when she started losing weight. i think its a normal feeling for a mom! Again a half a pound is not really all that much!
another thing...she went up and down at every well baby check up since birth!
"why is she not eating solid foods yet?  by 9 months she should be eating almost ALL solid foods"

NOT true. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children up to one year get most of their nutrition from breastmilk. Eating solids is considered only "for fun." The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years. Babies should not receive solids before 6 months of age AT ALL. This is from the AAP, go look it up.

"Maybe she's not getting enough calories through breastmilk only?"

Breastmilk changes according to demand. There's really no way not to get "enough" calories from it. If a baby drinks less breastmilk, the milk itself changes to become more nutritious. Look it up. Kellymom.com is a great site for info.

"My son had breast and formula since day one, becuase of his appetite?"

There is your problem. If you supplement with formula, you are not keeping up the supply and demand with breastfeeding. Breasts produce milk as needed. Every oz of formula you give a baby, that's an oz less of breastmilk they're getting. Breastmilk is full of antibodies and immunities that continue to keep baby healthy while formula does not. Formula will only help baby become overweight.

"We started solids at 5 months and by 6 months he was eating finger foods."

That was a mistake. AAP recommends not feeding babies solids until after 6 months. They have immature digestive systems and you set them up for increased risk of food allergies by introducing solids too soon. Some baby foods a baby should not have until 9 or 10 months old. "Finger foods" often contain wheat (like the Gerber Graduates Puffs) which babies gut has a harder time processing before 9 months.

"He is now 10 months and eats everything we eat.  He gets about 40 oz of formula on top of that"

He gets no breastmilk at all? Just formula and table food? Poor baby.

I suffered with preclampsia n i ad a c section. My baby was 2wks prem and was in special care unit she weighed 5lb 2oz.she wasnt intrestd in a bottle or boob juice she was tube feed. Shes came on leeps n bounds now but she asnt put any weight on in 2mnths. Im finding it very hard 2 get solids let alone milk into her. Yesterday she went to the dr,s n shes lost weight shes 14lb 6. Her development skils are perfect but its trying 2 get anything into her wats a problem. Yesterday all she drank was 9oz of milk n half oz of juice. 2 spoons of baby rice 5 spoons of hme made lasange. Any1 got any advise on what i can do? She gos bk 2 hospital nxt month 2 see her pediatrition. Thxs
Im hoping someone on here can help me bc im not getting help from the dr. My son is almost 8 mos old and he only weighs 13lbs14oz...he was at the beg. of january 14lbs6oz..the dr keeps telling me not to worry, but im having a hard time not worrying. He sits up and rolls all over, although hes not babbling or trying to. He was born at 41 wks and was 8lbs 7oz..so he was a healthy baby at birth. He eats oatmeal and a jar of baby food 3x a day, plus he gets breast milk after every feeding and b4 he goes to bed. Im wondering why hes not gaining weight and instead losing it? The dr has told me to supplement with formula but hes giving me a hard time taking it..seems like he doesnt want it or like it...I dont know what to do..Is there anything else i should try? Should I get a 2nd opinion? Thanks soo much.

Jen
My son was 9 weeks premature so I understand the developmental delays.  He started rolling over and playing with his feet at about 7 1/2 months adjusted age, 9 1/2 months old by his actual birthday.  He isn't crawling yet at 8 1/2 months (10 1/2 months), but our physiotherapist says as long as he does all the developmental things eventually and in the right order there's nothing to worry about.  If your little girl was 5 weeks early then her adjusted age for development is younger.  Preemies lose out on the last months of being in a constricted womb, scrunched up in the fetal position, so they don't develop strong tummy muscles like term babies and end up doing things later than they should.  She should catch up by the time she's 2 or 3 though.  If she's not sitting up, rolling over or bringing her feet to her mouth sometime in the 5-7 month range (adjusted by 5 weeks) then I would see a physiotherapist or at least your dr.  It doesn't hurt to go early because they can give you exercises to do with her to get her on track.  That's what we've done and you can't even tell our son was born over 2 months early. He has also just lost almost half a pound over the last month.  It's a combination of being sick, getting teeth and eating solid foods.  Try nursing the baby right before you feed her solids.  She should be filling up mostly on milk and then eating food as a bonus.  Under a year she still gets most of her nutrition from the milk so only give solids as a top up to milk and see if that helps.  That's what our dr just told us to work on with our son.  Hope she feels better soon.