Maternal & Child Community
baby orajel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

baby orajel

did any of you ladies ever hear that baby orajel restricts the growth of the teeth coming in? a couple months ago, edward was having a hard time with teething and one night my husband had to run out to get some more orjael when a lady approached him in the aisle and explained that she never used the orajel b/c it restricts the growth of the teeth. she suggested buying baby advil and rubbing that directly on his gums instead? does this make sense to anyone? it has been a while since then and edward has not been having as hard of a time with his teeth, but he never got any teeth either, so i'm starting to second guess that maybe the crazy lady was right. any thoughts?

also - edward is 6 months old now and still getting up during the night quite a bit. i feed him a bottle almost every time he gets up as this is the only thing that will get him to go back to sleep. i have heard many opinions on what to do and the dr. suggested i try to "ferberize" him. you know, that book by dr. ferber. is 6 months still too young to try and do such a thing? i'm not sure i can tolerate the process as just fedding him is so much quicker and less involved. i don't particularly like the idea of hearing him scream at 3 am, but i also work full time too and am pretty much always exhausted so i'm at a loss.

lastly - should babies be sitting up by 6 months? i recently read a post on here about someone who was concerned about their 6 month old not sitting up as children usually sit up by 4 months. what? that seems way too early to me. edward rolls pretty good and can hold himself up in a sitting position for a good minute or two before falling over. this is pretty average right?

thanks for all your help, as usual! <3
I never heard of that rumor for Orajel.  We used it on our daughter and she has a full set of teeth now.  Baby Advil is good for teething, because it helps with inflammation and bone pain (better than tylenol).

At 6 months I would expect that a baby would still be waking up at night to feed, probably only once though.  I don't think my DD slept through the night (8+ hours) till she was 8-10 months old (geeze, I can't even remember exactly!).

I think most babies sit up by 6 months...but it just depends on the kid.  I think bigger kids take longer to learn those things.  

Your Edward sounds very 'normal'.  :)
About the sitting, I meant to add she said that he'll be sitting like that by his 6 month appt., not 4 months. Sorry!
Your son sounds normal. I never heard that rumor about the Oragel either. My son's dr told me not to give him baby Advil or Motril until he's 6 months. His dr also told me at his 4 months appt that he should be able to sit a little with his hands in front of him holding him up. Don't have any tips on night feeding, my DS sleeps through the night.
I have heard that the Oragel really doesn't help much since the saliva will rinse away.  It can't hurt any though, but our Dr. says it's pretty useless, only makes the parent's feel like they are helping.  They told me Tylenol, that's what we used for my first son.  This little one is teething too and I have given him Tylenol when it's bad, I also give him a cold wet washcloth to chew on.  You should not give baby motrin till they are at least 6 months though.  My co-worker swears by teething tablets.  She makes a paste and rubs it on the gums.  I tried it once and it didn't seem to change his mood any so I quit.  As for the sleeping through the night, if he's eating and going back to sleep he's probably hungry and going through a growth spurt.  If he just wants to play or barely nibbles on his bottle, then he's in a habit.  They say after 6 months you can let them cry it out, but I think I waited a little longer.  If they are hungry they need it.  Plus if baby goes down earlier then he is sleeping for a long stretch and probably needs to get up and top off his tank.  If he goes down at 11 like mine then 3 am comes a little quicker than say my neighbor who puts hers down at 7 pm.  He's just growing and sounds fine.  Babies also don't usually sit at 4 months.  I was a little surprised to read that post too.  It depends on their hip extenders and when they are developed enough, it's not a milestone they hit at a certain month, usually around 4 months they are more solid, but even then not ready till around 5 or even 6 months.  Same thing with crawling and walking, there is a broad spectrum of when they will do it.  If you are worried, mention it to your pediatrician.  Mine was crawling at 6 months and sitting at 5 months, but he didn't roll till 5 months either.  They do it when they are ready.  Try working with him to build those muscles, but he sounds fine.
I loved the teething tablets, hated orajel as it messed with the latch. Babies are continually growing, so waking in the middle of the night for a feeding isn't necessarily a concern. I am against the ferber method or any other CIO, babies need to know their parents are there for them. People try and try and try for babies and then they can't wait to shut them up once they get here. It is part of the territory, cherish it.
What I've heard about the orajel is that it can freeze some of the tongue, thus making it hard for babies to swallow properly. I would use infant tylenol or advil to ease the pain of teething.

I ended up ferberizing my younger DD at around 8 months. It took about 3 days and she's been sleeping through every since and she's 10 mos now. Her cries weren't strong cries so I was able to follow through without feeling so bad. The first time I tried to ferberize she was about 6 mos and she started screaming and wailing and my whole goal to ferberize lasted all of 10 minutes and I felt she was still too young and I just couldn't do it.

Lastly, most babies should be sitting up unassisted by 6 mos. Some babies may take a few weeks longer and other babies may do it a few weeks early.
I don't think orajel had any part in your son's absence of teeth.  He's still young.  He'll be getting them sooner than you think.  DD got her first two bottom pearly whites at 6 1/2 months.  As far as the sitting goes, DD did not sit until in her late 7th month.  I contributed to that b/c I wouldn't sit her myself.  Sitting them down too early is not really recommended as they don't have strong core muscles to hold them up.  Your son is doing fine.
Waking up at night at the age of 6 months is normal.  I am also very against CIO method.  Tried it on DD a few times and still nothing came out of it (just lots of tears on both ends and nerves).  Good luck, they grow up fast.
oops. didn't mean to do that above. sorry.

i didn't ever give him the baby advil as the lady suggested and i did continue using orajel and tylenol combo. i just thought her suggestion about orajel restricting growth was odd. my husband was all over it though and now he swears what the lady said was true.

he usually is eating when he gets up. i always try a bottle first. i am not so cracked up about the crying it out options either Andi and thats why i am trying to get a lot of opinions. edward has gone up and down with his sleeping habits and i am in no way complaining - just want to make sure im not doing anything wrong or not doing something i should be doing. i do try to put him down around the same time every nite and i put him down somewhat awake so he can try putting himself to sleep. it ususally takes a few tries, but we always eventually get it. we have a bedtime routine, bath, bottle, etc. so, im not sure what the issue is. maybe he is just hungry. he's a big boy. oh and luv babies - could your ds come over and have a talk with mine about sleeping through the night? haha.
I have heard that it "toughens" the gums and might slow down the eruption of the tooth. Again, only heard this. I haven't read anything about it. But, I have read where people can get too much in the baby's mouth and cause a numbing in the throat and choking. But, as long as you stick to the instructions for use and follow them, there shouldn't be any problems. My kids always loved chewing on a washcloth with a ice cube inside. I would put a rubberband around the bottom of the ice cube so it wouldn't fall out. This numbed them up pretty well and they enjoyed it.