Maternal & Child Community
baby shower

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

baby shower

ok well i was just wondering when is a good time to have a baby shower about how far along should you be. i am 20 wks and i have a very close friend who wants to throw one for me next month but i will only be 24 weeks i told her i think it might be to early but she is moving out of state in about 6 weeks and really wants to do it anyway i just am not sure it it would be ok or not. you can use this as an open forum if you want
I am due at the end of January and this is my 2nd Successful pregnancy so I have said that I don't want a baby shower, but I was thinking about a diaper party and a lunch. With the holidays coming up, November and December almost seems out of the question, and maybe even January. I was almost thinking of letting my friends do something for me next month. I will only be 6 months, but I want to be able to enjoy the time with as many friends as possible. With having two boys and a husband who works for UPS(odd hours) I don't know when I will get that time again for a while. ;)
I had my shower at 6 months since my frineds were in town for the Summer.  I think it's fine whenever you choose.
I was due in December but had my shower early september. My younger sister was in college and student teaching and it worked best for her schedule. But i liked having it early. Gave me lots of time to prepare and buy things and return stuff, etc.
w/DS#1 had my first shower at 32wks He was born at 36wks!!!
I even had one shower after he was born which was great but still the earlier the better, this way if you have your baby early you'll already be set plus if you need to exchange anything you'll have plenty of time & you'll probably be feeling better than if you do it at like 38wks or so. Hope yall get to have the showers early:)I
f you scrapbook you can already have the pics develpoed & be a few pages ahead in your book so when the baby arrives you are not too far behind :)
I am 23weeks and am having B shower on October 29th. By then I will be about 30 weeks and as somebody else said above, if you have family out of town, it is not a good idea to fly them over Nov or Dec. If your family and friends are all in town or near, have it the first two weeks in November and by then you should be far enough to not worry about anything else. Good luck!
Me again. With my first DD, my co-workers threw me a shower 3 days before my due date and guess what? I was in delivery whle they were calling around looking for me. They spend alot of many on the food and ended up eating it themself. They save the cake for me though, so I have no pic. from my first shower either. Do not wait too long, that is what I am tryingto say!
I was due Mid December had my shower the first week of November.  It does make things easier to plan and put away.
I am so glad you posted this question, I was wondering the same thing, I am 22 weeks and cant make up my mind when i want my baby shower or when to start registering.
Friday I get to find out if it's a boy or girl, maybe knowing will push me to want to have it sooner than later!
It's my first baby so i am new at these things :-D
i was due in March and had my shower in late January. I think a little earlier is better, just in case the baby decides to put in an early apperance! :)
I have a biiiig fam. So with my two I had baby showers on both sides.Diaper showers, food showers( for after baby) etc.24 wks. is ear;y but since friend will not be there I think its o.k.Only it will be torture on you seeing all the baby stuff & having to wait till baby comes!Take care & have fun,lol nanis
Pinksugar: I say, register whenever you want to now. I registered after I had my 20 week u/s and the doc said everything was ok and I found out it was a girl. Just because you register doesn't mean people have to start buying, but it is better to have that done early. This is my first and when I went to the store to start my registry, I found out just how little I knew about baby stuff. If you register now, you still have time to research and change thngs if you need to.

Mary: Go ahead and have the shower when your friend is here. It may be a little early as far as the traditional timeline goes, but that doesn't matter that much. It would be so nice to have your friend there too. You're past the halfway mark and can definitely start getting a nursery put together and stocking up on baby things.
I recomend one thing! Before you register, do your homework. I registered for a stroller which I though I would like and then when I actually went to baby's R us, I found out that a friend of my already got me the stroller even and I absolutely hate this stroller. The only reason I put it on the registry was because I wanted to make sure I do not forget the style (I now seem to forget everything!!!) The closest bRu is 45 minutes drive, so I knew it was going to take me a week or so to get there. On top of it, stroller is something I wanted to get myself. Anyway, turns out that my friend who is throwing me my shower got it already. Bumer...had to ask her if she does not mind that I will take it back..felt so bad, but on the other hand, she new I wanted to get my own...so be carefull, some people wait till the last minute, some are early birds!
I'm having mine next month and I'll be 24 weeks at time of shower my family is doing it before the holidays and just in case I don't get to travel thru the holidays. You can have one at any time ...I just finished registering at Target and Babies r us it was fun hadn't done that in over 6 yrs.
I say if your friend wants to throw you a shower and she'll only be in town for a short time - I say GO FOR IT!!!!!  I don't think it is ever to early to celebrate a baby :o)  Good luck to you and I hope you have a good time.
I agree. I am 19 weeks along and my shower is going to be next month as well.(at 25 weeks) It just make sense due to the upcoming holiday season. Plus, there will be plenty of time to get ready for the blessed event.