Maternal & Child Community
baby wipes on newborn?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

baby wipes on newborn?

hi everyone! i had a quick question. we had a newborn care class while in the hospital. they told us that for the first 2 weeks we should not use wet wipes. they said to use a wash cloth, moistened bounty, etc... we actually took many of the paper-towel-like things they wet and use in the hospital. this am i noticed a sore on her bottom, and wonder if it's from not being cleaned properly and the towels. i'm not surprised to see irritation- she has poop literally every time we change her, and we change her at every feeding and if she stinks in btw. my ped didn't mention anything about not using wipes. wondering if anyone used wipes on their newborn or what their ped said.
I used wipes on my newborn..each brand has a sensitive line...thats what i used and had no problems..im due in a few days with my second child and i bought pampers sensitive wipes..there is practically no scent to them and they are super soft..i'd try them..i actually never heard not to use wipes but i suppose everyone's different good luck
Go and get the Pampers Sensitive, they are so soft you will want to use them! They are wonderful!
i agree with kierstynsmommy, she might be alargic(sp?) to what you are using.  i also have never been told not to use wipes. my husband had to change our baby in the hospital and the nurse showed him how and she used the wipes they have. so i dont know why they wouldnt want you to not use them. ??
yes use pampers sensitive i used it on my ds but not on my dd and she would get a raw tush i still use them on my ds and he is 19 months old.
Altenativley you can use baby lotion and cooton wool balls. I have used unscented wipes with my second since he was born but I use lotion and cotton wool for particularly messy diapers. Also use barrier cream after each clean up, they poop so much as newborns they very easily get diaper rash!
we got an extra box of those towely things the hospital uses... used that till they ran out then just switched to regular wipes.
After wiping, a good barrier lotion is "Boudreaux's Butt Paste," if you can get past the goofy name.  My son's pedi recommended it.
I have never used wipes regularly
I think those chemcicals are horrible for baby

not to mention a complete waste and no reason to add to garbage in our world

we have never had rear end problems!
thanks everyone!
Get some sensitve whipes for your little one, they are much better!  I think what you were using are just too harsh on your little one!
I always used wipes. In fact, my hospital supplied some when we were in there. I used regular pampers wipes with my 1st, but this time decided to go for the sensitive ones. My girls have never gotten a rash from pampers, but have gotten red from huggies and generic. That said, my mom would just wash babies bottom in the sink with mild soap every time they pooped. She always did cloth diapers thoug, and wipes werent that common when we were little.
I always stick to the sensitive wipes, not the scented ones.  We were told with our sons to use those wipes till the circumcision healed, but that was just because the skin was healing.  I'm not sure why they told you not to use wipes, maybe because baby has sensitive skin.  You should be fine by now to use a mild baby wipe.  I always use the brand, I know generic is supp[osed to be the same, but sometimes the inactive ingredients are different so I stick with what I know.  If she's pooping alot maybe use a cream too, Desitin is good, but I found that Aquaphor was a lifesaver when my little one reacted to his formula and his little bottom was so raw it was almost bleeding.  It will coat her bottom and keep it protected.  We were also told you can use petroleum jelly, especially at night when they go longer periods before being changed.  I am also a freak and change as fast as I can when the diaper is wet.  
I generally only use wet facecloths.  However, the first week I used sensitive wipes.
With my dh they said not to use wipes the first couple weeks. I didn't, and even after that, he had some sensitivity to them the first couple weeks. After about 3-4 weeks he tolerated them just fine. I'd try just using a plain damp cloth, and when the irritation clears up, try a different brand of wipe. If irritation occurs again, just don't use the wipes for a couple weeks, and when baby's skin gets a little tougher, it should be okay to go back to wipes.
oops, I meant my ds, it would be weird if I were using wipes on my dh!!!! :)
I just had a baby boy on 7/25/07 and the hospital did tell me the same thing as you in regards to using the plain towel like cloths with just water for the first 2 weeks.  My husband and I talked about it and are going to switch to the sensitive wipes immediately after the first 2 weeks.  I believe the reason at the hospital was to see if the baby's skin was too sensitive but since they have sensitive wipes now, it makes more sense to be sure the baby is cleaned properly with wipes with a mild soap.
I have the mild, no scent/additive type of wipes stocked up for the baby this time.  I also use the All "baby" version of soaps to keep down allergies (both my children had sensitive skin, I'm expecting the same from this one.)  Just make sure they don't have a ton of un needed things in the wipes and you should be fine.