Maternal & Child Community
back sleeping in 2nd or 3rd trimester??
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

back sleeping in 2nd or 3rd trimester??

I am wondering how serious back sleeping is in  the 2nd or 3rd trimester.  I am having problems staying on my side and sleep much better on my back.  When I sleep on my sides my arms lose circulation and my hips hurt by the morning.  If I sleep on my back I feel great.  Can this do real harm to the baby??  I am almost 21 weeks but not very big yet although she is measuring correctly for gestational age.  I just don't want to harm her!!  Is this really a big deal?
Related Discussions
9 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
From what i hear it's a no no in the 3rd trimester. I guess it's not good for you AND the baby....i think it has to do with your heart.
I don't know about you..but i miss sleeping on my stomach, i'm 17 weeks.
Have you tried using a body pillow yet?
Blank
I still ended up on my stomach every night.  It would hurt my back as the baby would be pushing on my spine.  I tried my best not to but how do you control that when you're sleeping?
Blank
After certain weeks, you can't sleep on ur back. u changed to sleep on ur sides automatically. Don't worry.
I slept on my back always.I think i slept on my back till my second trimester.  I don't know when i changed to sleep on sides, it happened automatically.
Blank
You cant controll how you lay when your asleep.... I am 37 weeks and I still wake up on my back..... for me when I wake up on my back, my stomach is very sore and I know that my baby is uncomfortable because hes moving from side to side.... of course at 37 weeks, I dont think there is any comfortable way to sleep.. haha.... but you try to practice sleeping on your left side because thats the best position for your heart and blood flow but if you wake up on your back, dont feel bad... :-)
Blank
145992_tn?1341348674
I was unable to sleep on my back once I hit 29-30 weeks.  It was the pressure of the baby that made it uncomfortable for me.  It really doesn't harm the baby, it's more of a comfortability thing for you.  I wish I could lay on my back, I miss it so.  Now at 31 weeks, I am not comfortable sleeping at all in any position.  I get numb on my sides if I lay too long, I think I switch sides every half hour.  It sucks.
Blank
Up till when did you sleep on you stomach? Didn't that hurt? I wish i could!
Blank
I'm right there with dpw2007.... I'm 37wks too and I still wake up on my back... it's just how I'm comfortable. No matter how I fall asleep I end up on my back. Don't worry.... If it's hurting you or the baby you will wake up  and move.
Blank
189192_tn?1261345228
I'm a stomach sleeper too.. and OH how I miss it already.. I'm only 15wks and just stopped sleeping on my stomach less than two weeks ago.  I try to sleep on my side, but it just isn't working out.  I usually end up on my back.  I've tried laying on my side with the pillow under my leg... that makes it even harder to get comforable and the pillow usually ends up on the floor..

I'm hoping it just takes some getting used too.... I literally crave sleeping on my stomach..
Blank
Thanks for your comments!  I am so paranoid that I am going to cut off her circulation if I sleep on my back!!  I guess I shouldn't worry about it so much.  I hope I would know if something was wrong!  I am not sure which is worse or less healthy for the baby, sleeping on my back or being very tired and cranky from sleeping on my sides!!!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...