Maternal & Child Community
bad heartburn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

bad heartburn

Hi everyone. I am new to the site and just wanted to say how happy I am to have found such a great place. You all seem so nice and all have been so helpful (from reading all the posts).Anyway I have been having really awful heartburn from everything and just wanted to know if anone had any tips on how to get rid of it, because the tums just are not helping anymore. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
i heard if you drink milk it will help your heartburn. I had it really bad too and I ate like 4 tums at a time and just tried to stay away from food that made me have heartburn...but even that was pretty hard because even ice cream gave me heartburn! Good luck!
amber
I get heartburn BAD! Nothing over the counter worked so I went to the Dr. and he gave me previcid. (sp?) ask your Dr. about that if you can't find anything else that works. It worked like a charm. No heartburn even with spicy foods!
good luck
With this pregnancy I got heartburn so badly that it was like being hit in the chest with a baseball bat, and I'd sit up for hours at night with it.  My doctor okayed liquid Mylanta, which I kept in the fridge and would take big gulps of, and it did work after several gulps.  But just this last two weeks, I've discovered something that works even better.  Though everyone had recommended ginger and I had even bought a box of ginger tea, I hadn't drunk any of it because the flavor isn't my favorite.  But about a week and a half ago, I bought this tin of Swedish ginger snaps, the really thin kind, and ate four of them after dinner.  No heartburn!  I have tried it several times now and it isn't a coincidence.  I have taken to sneaking ginger into things and assume that if you eat that soft, cakey gingerbread it is probably as good as the ginger snaps, as long as there is really ginger in it.  It's amazing.  I don't know if it would work for everyone, but even milk was giving me heartburn and it works for me.
Hi Niksmom,

Sorry to read about your struggle with heartburn, I can empathize.  I've had the same trouble.  Because I always choose to go the natural route when trying to deal with anything physical I consulted with my CNM about natural ways to take care of the heartburn.  Most of what she recommended I had already tried and had no success with but she mentioned something new.  She said that eating a papaya before the onset of heartburn usually takes care of the problem.  Now, I get heartburn at the same time everyday (7-8 p.m.) so its an easy instruction for me to follow - I think it may be more difficult for someone who can't predict when their heartburn is going to pop up but I thought I'd mention it in case you'd like to give it a try.  She also told me that you can find papaya tablets at the co-op or herbal health stores as well (all are perfectly safe for baby as papaya is just a fruit).  One correlation I found was consuming chocolate and heartburn.  If I drink hot chocolate anytime during the day then my heartburn is more severe in the evening than usual.
I have heartburn sometimes when I haven't eaten ANYTHING! That burning sensation starts at the base of my throat and gets worse if I don't do something quickly.
I drink a lot of chocolate milk (can't stand plain milk!:-), and I also use Maalox extra strength in the Strawberry flavor (it's actually pretty good when refrigerated, and I'd rather have a swig of that, than eat Tums)

The only Tums I have found to really work are the "Smoothies" which are easier to eat because they're not so crunchy like regular ones. Plus, the flavors are actually tasty.

Anyway, this is what I've found to work (although there ARE days when NOTHING seems to help!)besides cutting back on greasy and spicy foods.
Thanks everyone. I am gonna try it all, because I cant take this anymore. Thanks again