Maternal & Child Community
bathing a one year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

bathing a one year old

Okay, I need help on this one.  My one year old son is now crawling and pulling himself up to standing.  Therefore, when I bath him, he wants to crawl around the tub and tries to pull himself up, using the top of the tub or the faucet.  I have decals in the bottom of the tub so it's not too slippery, but he still slips constantly.  I've only been putting a couple of inches of water in the tub, as he was swallowing quite a bit each time he slipped when I had more water.  He doesn't seem too upset by his slips, but I'm concerned, and he's starting to get bruises.  Help!  He refuses to sit still (I do give him bath toys to play with) and refuses to lay on his back (to rinse his hair).  Any suggestions on making bathtime easier would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Tags: maternal, Baby
I have a few suggestions

You could try an infant/toddler tub and put it on a counter in the kitchen so he is at your level (easier on the back) and you could hold and watch him easier.

You could actually wash him in the kitchen sink (I have done this many times (again easier on the back) I don't figure they get super dirty and need to spend A LOT of time in the tub.

You could invest in a bathtub seat.  Walmart or Target and places like that carry them.  They have suction cups on the bottom of them and my DD used one.  I have not gotten one for DS.

Last but not least and I just did this last night - You get in the tub with him and you can hold him or stand him up and let him splash and all is safe and you get clean too BONUS!!!!!  Good Luck and I hope I was of some help to you.  Take Care girly.  It is so good to see you back on.  Say Hi to little Liam for me.
About the washing the hair thing - My little guy is still kind of bald so I just use a washcloth but I also just put some water in my hand and pour it over his head.  Yes it goes into his face but he does not seem to mind.  If yours has a lot of hair I really cannot help you out there sorry LOL!!!!!!!  I would say just dump the water on to rinse.  Use a tear free shampoo and it should be fine and if he does not like that he may learn to start putting it back.  It sounds harsh but worth a try.
Thanks for your input.
I had been using an infant/toddler tub, but figured he was getting to big.  I have tried the kitchen sink, but he just wants to climb out.  I did receive a bath ring as a shower gift, so I think I'll try that next time.  He has a full head of hair (was born with it) so that's what I've been doing, using a bowl and just dumping it over his head to rinse.  He doesn't love it, but what can you do?
Thanks again for all your suggestions.  It seems he just was to go, go, go - won't sit still for a moment :)
Those bath rings (chairs) we suppose to be "UNSAFE"
because parent would leave their kids alone  in it and think it was a support ....UMMM HELLO they are in the tub HOPEFULLY with supervision!!

Supervision is the key!!!

If your there with him  just put less water in the tub.
My little fellow does the same He is just a week away from 11 months. He loves to splash, flop around
Yes he gets the odd mouth of water and coughs but my Older two girls go swimming and do the same thing in the pool!
I've heard that Health Canada wants to ban the bath rings, because there have been incidents on the ring slipping on suctioning onto the side of the tub and holding the baby underwater.  My questions is - where were the parents?
You are totally right - supervision is the key, I never leave the side of the tub when I'm bathing Liam.
I think it was blondie who suggested getting in the bath yourself as well.  This is what we do.  As Dh is at work all day and doesn't get, much time with Joshua he loves to get in the bath with him before he heads off to bed.  It seems a lot easier to hold and control him to and it is alot easier than bending over the edge of the bath trying to hold them.  I am always at the edge waiting to catch the wet baby at the end and it makes bathtime an enjoyable and safe experience for all concerned.
My son will be one in just a couple of weeks.  He too tries to stand up a lot in the tub and crawl around.  I tell him in a firm voice "no, sit down."  I give him two warnings and on the third time I physically put him back down.  Most of the time he sits back down on the first warning because he understands.  Your baby understands, believe me.  You just have to be firm and set the rules - no standing in the tub.  If my son tries too often to stand up then I take that as his cue that he is DONE and I take him out.
They make these squishy/pillow things that slip over the faucet to soften the blow should baby hit it.  I bought one from the Disney store ( pooh bear).  I think they have them at Walmart and Kmart.
how about padding the faucet with a towel or something so if he fell on it he wouldn't get hurt as bad? never tried it- it's just a suggestion. i'm kind of passive when it comes to this kind of stuff though. when my kids went through this (and both of them did) i just smacked the faucet with my hand, made a painful face and said OW then I made the same face and noise when they started to do what was going to hurt them. worked for me...
I used a bath ring, it does help to support the baby in sitting up straight.  As for washing the hair, I used to fold a wash cloth into a 2 inch roll and hold it against the forehead while rinsing, it worked well.
Not sure if this will help your little one but it did mine...We used a both seat and filled the bath with toys and bubbles - he would stay in there for ages - again supervision is the key but with all his toys around him there is no need for him to move anywhere.
We sat AJJ in the bath in his chair washed him all over and then did his bits just as he was getting out (keeping standing to a minimum) Before I found the bath seat he was constantly trying to walk around and therefore constantly spitting soapy bubbles - As for the hair, at first we used a visor (to catch the bubbles and water) and as he got older we held toys above his head as he looked up we gently poured the water down from front to back...it worked for us....now he is nearly 2 and is excellent in the bath - Way too big for the bath seat but hardly ever gets up just sits and tends to wiggle from one end to the other.  We made bathtime really fun and i think that is why he is so good now!  As for washing hair good luck...x