Maternal & Child Community
belly button sensitivity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

belly button sensitivity

I am just wondering why my belly button is extremely sensitive to touch?  I am 28 wks.  It doesn't hunt when I move or cough just when it is brushed or pushed on, and I don't remember having this much pain with my 1st child.  She didn't move as much as this one though.  Thanks.
I am with you on this one, but I have always had a sensitive bellybutton even when not pregnant.  I remember it being an issue for me with my ds 18 years ago, and here we go again.  It is miserable when they do an ultrasound, or when the dr measures me, I feel like such a baby. My kitchen sink is right at that level and every time I use the sink I forget and lean on it, ouuuucch.  I have always thought it was herniated, but the doc says no.  I guess we will just have to live with it.  It does get better after the baby is born though.

Carolyn 25w0d
My belly button was sensetive with my first pregnancy and this pregnancy as well.  My ob/gyn told me that I have a hernia in my belly button so I figured that was the reason.  
My mum is 51 and still to this day her belly button is very sensitive and when she touches it a sharp pain shoots down towards her cervix.
I was her second baby and she said she only started getting the pain when she was pregnant with me because i kicks lots and HARD (sorry mum) So im just assuming it could be something to do with this.
My sister in-law also experienced the same pain when her daughter kicked.
I have a friend who is now 7 months pregnant and she is starting to develop all the signs since the baby become active and it always seems connected to the cervix.
I dont think you should be concerned at all unless it is causing you alot of discomfort and then you should go to your gp
My ObGyn said it's totally normal for your belly button to be sensitive once your expanding uterus pushes it outwards (especially if you had an "innie").  This area of skin/nerves is not usually stimulated; so now that it's exposed, it's super sensitive.
Try putting a bandaid or tape some guaze over it to make it flatter (so not so easy to bump/brush), and give it some padding.
Mine isn't as sensitive this time as with my 1st ds, so I guess it can be different with each pg (or else it's because my belly button is toughening up! :))
It is actually very natural for the navel to hurt during pregnancy. you might have seen in other posts - sticking a band aid on the top can help avoid the abrasions against your clothes.
The pain is pronounced when you have a hard knot in your navel that does not stretch well. Rub some lotion - like Cocoa butter jelly.
If your husband (or whoever) does not mind, you could ideally have you outie licked.. there is nothing more soothing than that.
thats normal.
I'm 33 weeks pregnant and my belly button isn't the problem, it's the area around it. I'm assuming (hoping) it's from the stretching my skin has gone through this past month. It only hurts on contact though. Has anyone else had any similar issues? Please let me know, I'm a hypocondriac -- however you spell it :)
My belly hurts but mostly inside than outside. It doesn't hurt when I touch it, it only hurts when I move or lay down. Is this normal?