Maternal & Child Community
beta/hcg levels with blighted ovum? Does anyone know?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

The internet is just AWFUL!  I did not know until I found THIS board that the beta levels will continue to increase with a blighted ovum.

When I was about 5 weeks, I had a beta done, it was 653.  47.5 hours later I had another, it was 1724.  The next day I had an ultrasound but they couldn't see anything.  No bleeding, no cramping, all seems to be fine.

Until I come here and read about the blighted ovum, etc, so of course I am a wreck that I could have a blighted ovum.  (Had vanished twin syndrome with one child already.)  Silly I know, but I can't help it!

So my question is, do the beta/hcg levels double just as in a regular pregnancy with a blighted ovum?  Are there data out there, or charts I can look at? Does anyone know?  I just figured it was too early to see anything, but who knows now!  I have another U/S on Tueday, I should be closer to 7 weeks.  And another HPT was brightly positive this past week, but now that might not even matter?

Anyone know??  TIA!!
Is the only reason you think you have a blighted ovum that you had an ultrasound done at 5 weeks and it didn't show much in the sac?  Try to relax, ultrasounds don't show much in the sac at 5 weeks because there isn't much visible in the sac at 5 weeks.  The hCG levels are not a precision indicator either, and I have never read that there is any way they indicate a blighted ovum.
I had a Blighted ovum in Feb. My Hcg did not double but did rise. 5 weeks is kind of early to see anything on an U/S. What did your Dr. say? Your Hcg did double right? I had brown discharge then bleeding that is why they did an U/S on me but my Dr always hates to do one before 6 weeks.
yes, I know I wasn't worried before....  lol  Had that vanished twin once already, so it's always on the back of my mind, but I didn't think about it at all until now, lol.

I wasn't sure of how far along I was until I had the betas done, according to those, and the averages, I was figuring I was 5 weeks.  But the OB ordered an ultrasound (because I was scheduled for surgery that week, he said if I was under 6 weeks I could have general anesthesia, but we just didn't know how far exactly I was....) and the US showed NOTHING except the enlarged uterus. The report DID say 5 weeks, but also that it showed no evidence of the baby, etc.

Now another US is this upcoming week, and I completely expected to see a baby in the US!  You know how we all worry about these things, but I was just wondering if there was in fact a chart or other peoples betas to share.  

Yes, my betas doubled, the doubling time was 34 hours, so I assume this is a perfectly viable bean, but I had to ask.  Would you mind sharing, what were your betas?
http://www.ohiorepromed.com/hcg_levels.htm
Here is a website I found about HCG levels. I hope it is helpful.
I had a blighted ovum earlier this year that ended with a D&C march 2nd. My hcg's continued to double, not just rise a little, but doubled up until the 9th-10th week. Then they went up a bit, and leveled off. I had cramping and spotting that started in the 6th week (I think). It eventually turned into constant light bleeding, all different colors too. The 1st time I went to the ER at 5 or 6 weeks pregnant, my hcg was in the 3,000's and they couldn't see anything. No sac, said I already miscarried. But my levels doubled 48 hours later. By the time I had my D&C done, my levels were almost in the 20,000's. I remember in the OR before they knocked me out one of the nurses questioning my doctor about how sure she felt that it was not a viable pregnancy b/c how high my levels were.

But that was my story, shortened. You're only 5 weeks. Most people don't see the baby until 6 or 7 weeks. I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as your numbers are going up by at least 65% every 48 hours, because at a certain point they quit doubling, and you have no hard cramping or spotting, you're most likely O.K. Just request another u/s in 2-3 weeks. You'll be reassured then.
I had a blighted ovum also and had D&C the 3rd of July. Can anyone tell me please how do you know your levels? how can you monitor them? is it just about going to the doc. and then he orders blood tests each time?? Is there any way i can monitor them at home?
TTC after 3 weeks of D&C eventhough doc said to wait 3 months!! can't wait that long. It's being very hard.
Thank you.
I also wanted to add that at first my u/s showed nothing in my uterus, although at my levels they should've seen something (3,000's), in the following weeks, a sac did form and grew some. I was supposed to be between 9-10 weeks pregnant at the end, and the sac was only 7wks1day. THere was no fetal pole, no yolk sac. The placenta was fairly big, and I fought the doctor on thinking that was the baby forming. But it wasn't. It was such a long horrible ordeal. I really hope you don't have to go thru it.
that chart is helpful, thanks!
Yeah, my doctor draws the blood, too, but they do send it to a lab.  In my doc's case, if you give the blood in the am you get the answer by around 3pm that day, if you give the blood in the afternoon you get the answer by the next morning.  They don't have their own lab but the lab is right in the same building.
wow, really?  I did mine right in the office and had the reuslts in 3 hours....?
The only way to monitor beta hCG levels is to have blood drawn and sent to a lab.  I think it can cost about $100 - $150 per test, so doctors aren't in a hurry to do it just whenever.  Also, my nurse told me that the numbers can vary for no reason, and this freaks women out, so probably it's not the best idea to be tracking them at every moment anyway.
I'm sorry I don't know much about the levels, I'm new to all of this, but I did have a blighted ovum recently.  I went in to the Dr. at 11 weeks with some light spotitng and cramping, so they bumped my appt. up a week to make me feel better.  I just knew something was off.  I retested with HPT and was getting a bright positive even before the whole control window had processed.  I also had bad morning sickness.  No reason for me to believe anything was wrong, but felt "off."  With a blighted ovum you still have a placenta, or at least I did and that kept making the pregnancy hormones and made me sick.  Hopefully you have better luck.
I am what my doctors say to be 8wks lmp but I know I conceived on or around Dec. 15. Now my doctor is telling me that I may have a blighted ovum cause no fetal pole is visable. My hcg levels were 44,000 on tues and on wed.(next day) went to 46,000. I'm so confused..Tee7580

Today I was 7 wks +4 days. (first pregnancy)  I was so excited to go for my ultrasound this morning.  Unfortunately, I was told that a blighted ovum had occured.  I had NEVER heard of this before.  The ultrasound showed the sac but no contents.  My Hcg levels were 5,600 two weeks ago and today they are 21,600.  My doctors suggests that we wait until next week, just to make sure.
I have all the pregnancy symptoms, even up until this morning (sore boobs, nausea, etc).

So Im sorry I cant advise.
AMT
I was just informed today that my m/c was a blighted ovum. My levels on the 4th were 587 and on the 6th were 70. So mine happened pretty fast. You should double every 48hrs during the first trimester. I had very light bleeding and barely any cramping, so at first I was hopeful that everything would be ok.
Are your beta levels really supposed to double every 48hrs?  What does it mean if they don't?  On the 16th I was 71/2 wks and my beta was 29,674 and on the 18th, 47hrs later, they were 35,650.
Can someone help me...... i was diagnosed with Blited ovum at my 6 week ultra sound, I have had 2 ultra sounds, another one at 8 weeks, they still say Blited ovum, my HCG levels are rising but not doubling, they are 63,000 and 10 days ago they were 40,000, i have been so sick, tired and all the symptoms that come with pregnancy, i have no signs of miscarriage at all, no spotting, cramping or bleeding, i have another ultra sound book for sept 1st i will be 10 weeks...... can anyone give me any advice im so scared, we were so happy about this baby, i just need some advice... do you think they are right... or wrong.... should I hold on to my faith and just believe its gonna be a miracle or am I dilusional?