Maternal & Child Community
bicornuate uterus, another baby?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

bicornuate uterus, another baby?

Hi, I'm 35yo and have an almost 2 yo toddler. My husband and I are thinking of having another baby, but I am worried because I have a bicornuate uterus. I was very lucky with my first pregnancy and got pregnant right away, he was 3 weeks early, transverse (so I needed a c-section), and he was my first pregnancy. I am worried, now that I've read more about it, that I will miscarry, or something will go wrong. I feel very lucky that my first pregnancy went as well as it did. I guess I just need some support, and advice on how to make the decision to have another baby..

Thank you!!
I have a bicornuate uterus, and wouldn't hesitate to have a second pregnancy.  The first one was full term and presumably stretched my uterus out a little.  My RE says I have a "proven" uterus; it's their name for someone whose uterus has successfully supported a pregnancy and it is significant in the assisted-reproduction world if you have one.  Talk to your ob-gyn and see if he or she feels the septum should be removed before you try again (it's done in a D&C, not a huge deal).  But after having one child, I should think you'd be less worried instead of more worried, about the shape of your uterus.