Maternal & Child Community
bilateral hydrocele with possible hernia ex-preemie

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi! I have a 5 month old ex-preemie (28weeker) with bilateral hydrocele. Last week his testicles looked different and his pediatrician thinks he has developed hernias. I can't see the urologist till next week and was wondering if anyone has had a boy with this problem. I read that if it is indeed a hernia, he'll need surgery. I was just wondering if anyone knew about this surgery/recovery. On the internet, it sounds like a routine thing. Thanks!
how is his neck support and other interaction with you?? Was he born with it??
Hi Avanna, don't understand how I didn't see your question, I checked several times and posted on the 8th, but didn't see your question to my own. Did it appear later on the board? Probably just me.
Anyway, my son is doing great, he is acting like a normal 2.5 month old (that's his adjusted age) so he is holding his head up most of the time, smiling, pushing up... Do you have an ex-preemie yourself? As for the hydrocele: when he was born his testes hadn't descended yet, but by the time he left the NICU they had and the drs. had noted the hydrocele, so he had is by the time he should have been born...
my brother had a premie with bilateral hydrocele and henias, he developed fine untill he turned 6 month and diagnosed with some genetic disorder... he start loosing his musle tone and neck support..it was very scary for us...thats why i asked..... good luck with everything... and hernia surgery is minor with good recovery, its just very hard for parents to see their child go through all that.
i think with this prematurity - it is normal to have it.
O my gosh, that must be very hard on all of you! My son was preemie because I had a bad placenta (accreta which caused low amniotic fluid) so as far as we know there is nothing wrong with him, but you are right, it is good to be aware that these things can happen, so you can watch for signs (without obsessing over it). So he first gained muscle strength and then lost it again? I hope they can do something to help him!
I saw the urologist and she is pretty confident it's just the hydrocele. Don't you just hate explanations like "it's not exact science but often we see it getting a bit worse right before it resolves itself". Anyway, let's hope it does go away by the time he is one.