Maternal & Child Community
bipolar/ miscarriages

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

bipolar/ miscarriages

I just had a miscarriage last night, the 3rd in the last 13 months, My thyroid tests etc...all came back normal. I was 7 weeks and 3 ultrasounds showed all looked fine. My last pap came back abnormal and my doc said it was the early form of irregular cell developement, possible later to form cancer.But not uncommon. We where waiting untill I was 15 weeks to do the micro exam due to me being hi risk. Could my Bipolar be a part of this miscarraige (miscarriage) problem? My miscarraiges are all at about 7-9 weeks.
Are you on any medications for your condition?  Anxiety medication?

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you can figure out what is happening soon.

I'm also very sorry for you loss, but I do not think it was related to your Bi-polar.  However, some medications are very bad for conception and pregnancy.  Lithium is one of the commen Bi-polar drugs thats not so good for a baby.  I have been diagnosed Bi-polar since I was 15 years old, I'm 25 now, and I've been on different medications since then.  I have two kids.  I have a 5 year old son, who is healthy as can be, and I'm 20 weeks pregnant with a girl, who so far checks out healthy.  I'm also a high risk pregnancy, but not because of my baby or my bi-polar, its because of a rare stomach disorder I have.  If you try to get preggo again you need to talk to your doctors about your medications and work with them for the health of you and your baby.  Its not impossible and they would have great advice for you.  Before the baby I was on Celexa 80 mg once a day,  1,000 mg of Seroquel once a day, and 2 mg Xanax bars three times a day just for the bi-polar.  Now, its change to Celexa 40 mg once a day and Visterel 3 times a day.  Durning my first trimester I stopped everything cause it was better for the baby, however I got really depressed and needed to get back on.  They are working with me and my meds and I'm so much better.  Its a little harder, but its possible.  I hope this helps.  If you ever feel like to need to talk, feel free to look me up.  Once again, I'm sorry about your loss.  Keep your chin up, good things are right around the corner.  Take care!