Maternal & Child Community
black tongue on 9 month old baby

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

black tongue on 9 month old baby

my baby is 9 months old. half of her tongue down towards the back has big black spots. i noticed it about 1 month ago, but i thought my husband gave her some blueberries,she was eating quite a few at that time. so this past saturday i saw it again, its not something u can see unless ur looking for it. the front half of the tongue is normal pink, but towards the back is dark. i tried to wipe it with a cloth and some dark stuff came off on the cloth,like dark papillae, but the tongue is still the same,the spot didnt come off, like a stain or something. we went to the doctor today. "he's never seen this" he said. i am worried. im scared that its been like that ever since i saw it the first time. she is a very healthy baby. never had any problems with her. not even a cold. thats why i probably disregarded the darkness the first time. we are europeans and we have no history in our families of something like that. anybody has any idea what can it be? thank you .
If you google "baby has black tongue" you get tons of responses,  but nothing really specific.

Pepto Bismol causes it,  but it's not likely she's had pepto.  

The other most common answer is a form of thrush,  which usually is white,  can also be black.  

Seems like it's also a buildup of debris (sounds unlikely).  They recommend rubbing the spot with meat tenderizer.

I think if I were you I'd go back to the doc and ask for a treatment for thrush,  and also he should maybe do a scraping and give it a look under the microscope?

Best wishes.
I've seen a photo of this in the Mayo Clinic home health book, though it was on an adult tongue.  It is labelled as an overgrowth of bacteria sometimes caused by antibiotic therapy (are you breast feeding?  If so, are you on antibiotics?) and they suggest a light brushing with a soft toothbrush 2 times a day.  Google "Hairy Tongue" and "Discolored Tongue" and you might find some pictures of blackened tongues and info about it.  
Yes, in the medical world black tongue is overgrowth of bacteria typically.  I'd call your pediatrician.  
My son has the same thing and he is 9 months... from what I can tell, babies have weaker immune systems and have a harder time fighting off bacteria in their mouths... they can develop "hairy tongue" and most, if not all peditricians have heard of it... if yours has not, I would seriously consider changing doctors.  It is really quite a common thing in babies.  They can also get it if they have been on antibiotics.  Has it gone away yet??  I hope so since it has been a few months now!

Jessica

hey hi im a worried first time father and my partner and i have noticed the same thing on our 5 month old baby girl..went to a DR ..he had no clue so i asks to get a referal..to  see if it deadly..or bad in any way she seems fine but ive no clue on what it is ive done searches on the net..to no avail....if any has any answers..me and my partner would be stoked..and how to treat it as well..thank you for any answrs..i love my lil girl..and would crussh me to find out its really bad...this black mark on her tounge....
hi my son has had a dark tongue for weeks now been to the docs and they dont know what it is? plz help as im worried! is it treatable?
my son is just about 7 months and has black on his tongue - my ped said it is an overgrowth of bacteria - might be because he is starting to get teeth and drooling quite a bit - the ped said not to worry about it - just to let him know if it gets worse or persists for a long time, and then he would prescribe an antifungal medication
Hello, first thing, my prayers to all who posted with concern for their child. My 1 month old daughter had a black/brown tongue one day. Me being a 33 yr old 1st time father freaked out. After reading for a few hours I asked my wife if she had drank any Pepto. She replied "Yes, Friday when my parents left". She was breast feeding (as GOD intends) but we also use formula due to her not making enough milk (as Nutramigen intends). The Pepto also upset Baby Liberty's belly for 3 days or so then everything went back to normal, eat, sleep, poop. Hope urs turns out as simple as mine.