Maternal & Child Community
bleeding after c-section

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

bleeding after c-section

Hi all. I just wanted to ask my first question. I have responded to others, but never left a question. As I have told you before I just had my 4th girl, and my 3rd c-section. I am still bleeding, not heavy and some days I don't bleed and some days it is red. Can anyone tell me about how much longer it will be before i quit bleeding. my daughter was born 08/25/05. And i have a hard time after my c-section and now my incision is almost all the way together (thank goodness). I hemmoraged and he had to open my incision back up. thanks in advance
I'm not sure about the differing times between a woman who has a vaginal birth and a woman that has a c-section, but I had a vaginal birth and I bled for 6 weeks.

Be sure to take care of yourself and don't over do it.  The fact that you don't bleed some days and then start bleeding again is telling me that you're overexerting yourself.  Be sure to get plenty of rest - that will help you heal faster!!  I'm sure it's A LOT easier said than done, with 4 kids, but please please try.  The faster you heal the sooner you'll be feeling 100%!!  Good luck!
With my last section I think I bled for about 3 weeks then it stopped for a week then on again for about 2 weeks
Of course we are all different.
I also found that sometimes the more you do (physically)
You would bleed more or in my case the incision would ooze more
(my incisions usually took a long time to heal due to infection)
Thanks for all your comments. I had a hard time like I said the doctor had to open my incision back up because of the bleeding and had to cartarize the vein that was bleeding. Then he could not close my incision again because of that. To start out it was 8 inches wide and 3 1/2 inches deep, it is almost closed now. I was on a wound vac to help close it for about 2 weeks now I just have to clean it with saline and gauze and they call it a moist to dry. I have never had this many problems with any of my other children and I am on 29! So if any of you have had any of these problems could you share them with me....makes me feel better to know that I am not going throug this alone.

Thanks,
Jamie
i had a c-section on 08/23 and stopped bleeding 3 1/2 weeks afterward.
I had two vaginal births and one c-section.  With my c-section I did bleed longer.  7 weeks to be exact.  I don't know why this was.  My doctor wasn't too concerned but ordered blood work to see if I had become anemic from all the bleeding.  My blood work was fine.  Best wishes.
My scar seems to be healing properly with the exception of one area.  There is tissue on the outside that is painful to touch and bleeds if I do (not for any extended period of time though).  My doctor has called it vascular tissue.  However, I have never had this with a prior c-section.  It has been 5.5 weeks.  There is a very slight yellow slime there, no smell, no fever.  There is also a bump below which I was told was scar tissue (but it is rather large)  I have seen the doctor after two phone calls a couple of weeks ago and no one seems concerned except me.  Did anyone experience this?  What did they do or did it go away?
Hi, I had a c-section with my daughter who is 5 1/s months old, i am still bleeding. I have non-stop. Does anyone know what could cause this... This is my second c-section the first went fine but i am worried
question:  i had a c-section 5.5 weeks ago.  i bled for about 2 weeks and than it stopped.  then i started bleeding again this last saturday. i thought it was my period, but i am still bleeding 7 days later.  is it normal to stop bleeding and than start again?
I had a my 3rd c-section on 6/15 and I am still bleeding. It is very little but every day. Is  that normal to last six weeks? I can't remember my other two lasting that long. I am also nursing with this one. My first child I nursed and didn't have a period the year I nursed him. I also had my tubes tied with this one, so I didn't know if that had something to do with it.
My daughter had a c-section Aug. 27th. She has started to bleed and ooze from the site. The doctor says this is normal and just to watch her temperture and call if she developes a fever. She was given no anti-biotics at the hospital, or for home. Only pain medication. She was realeased 4 days after the surgery. There are also some blisters forming around the incision. Is this normal?
I had my c-section o the 29th and i have a little bleeding at the site as well, my doctor told me to just continue to keep it clean and dry.  But if the bleeding is oozing more and more to come back in immediately.  He gave me antibiotics which helped out a lot, but as far as pain, the meds don't work for me.  I think the fact that I had my tubes tied along with this c-section has a lot to do with it.  Tubals are very, very painful after surgery, I learned this the hard way.  
I also had my tubes tied after my third child. How long does it take for the pain to subside? It has been two weeks and it seems as if the pain is moving to different parts of my body (legs, arms, knees, etc).
hello I had my 2nd c-section august7,2007 I bled so bad in the hospital they put me on medicine to firm my uterus.it worked only after I clotted a HUGE Clot! I slowed the bleeding,Now 5 WEEKS LATER IM GUSHING TO THE POINT OF I HAD TO CHANGE MY CLOTHES!! I CALLED MY DOCTOR and she said it was my period if im not clotting and im not constanly bleeding no fever or light headness its not a hemmorage thats its normal to stop and start bleeding! IT was so bad I was at a meeting for school and I hadto run out of the school today it was allover my dress! IM 26 and this c-section has been worse,IM nervous and its very scary! If you wanna talk because everyone i know never went thur this . ***@****
HI,

I just had my 1st C-section after having a vaginal birth 6 years ago, As scared as I was, it turned out to be "not so bad". Immediately after the surgery I had NO bleeding.  then as soon as I got home 4 days later I started bleeding alot. Now 13 days after coming home, I'm wondering if its ever gonna stop.  I noticed that my stomach hurts when I nurse and I thought that was a good thing, but now I just have random pains between my stomach and my incision.  I just wonder how normal that is.  I am so happy that my little bunddle of joy is here, but I can't wait until I am fully recovered and able to continue with my normal activities.    
I had a C-section 1 month ago, I was bleeding 2 weeks. This was my third C-section and doctors told me that it would be my last, since you are only allow 3 C-sections. I am a little nervouse because my breast hurt and i feel nasause and im scare of being pregnant so soon. I am not breast feedind since my baby passed away I gave birth to her when i was only 5 months pregnant. Has anyone felt nasauness after a C-section this never happen to me for my other 2 kids.
I had a c-section about a week ago. My incision site is still bleeding and there are two wounds that are open. Will these wounds close and when willl this bleeding stop. I also need to mention the fact that I had a myomectomy last year in Mar. 07. This is my first pregnancy. I'm wondering if the bleeding is still occuring because the c-section was made in the same area as my myomectomy incision. This is very concerning to me.My doctor just keeps putting gauze and dressings on my wound and keeps telling me to do the same. She didn't give me any cream or anything. Only pills for cellulitis.  Also if I have another child would I experience worse with having another c-section? So what else can I do?
I had my 1st c/section almost 10 years ago. I had a general anaesthetic and woke in quite a lot of pain. After my pain medication was altered I felt fine. My incision begun to heal very well. I had very little pain when getting out of bed etc but during my last day in hospital I developed a haematoma (a small bubble full of blood) on the right side of my incision. The haematoma burst, splitting the end of my incision about 2 hours after I discovered it was there. Apart from that my c/section was fairly easy to recover from. I bled for about 2 weeks.

I had my 2nd c/section In Sept 07, my son is now just over 10 and a half months old. This time I had a spinal and stayed conscious throughout the surgery. For some reason I couldnt keep the morphine down, I kept throwing it back up. It meant I got through my recovery on just paracetomol and ibuprofen. It was hard, definately harder than the 1st one and my incision was failing to heal as fast as the last time. I did have a bigger baby this time. My son was 9lbs 4oz whereas my daughter was only 8lbs 3oz so I don't know if that had anything to do with the harder recovery. I found I was in more pain this time when trying to manouvre myself out of bed and carrying a heavy baby didn't help. This time I bled for 3-4 weeks. I've already been told that #3 will definately be a c/section but I'm not planning on that for at least 2 years.

Hayley x
Hi, I just had my 2nd c-section 2 weeks ago.  It was my third child.  My first child was vaginal, and m second child was emergency c-section.  This time the c-section was planned.  Anyway, I went to the doctor yesterday and she said that the incision is healing fine and looks great.  Over the past two weeks I haven't had much pain, when I do I just take my ibuprofen, I try not to take the percocet bcuz it makes me a little loopy.  Anyway, I haven't had any bleeding since I left the hospital (four days after the c-section).  I've had a little bit of white or brown discharge last week, but suddenly this morning after making breakfast I started bleeding (dark red) and quite heavy, to the point I went thru 3 pads in an hour.  I have a fever, but it's not really that bad at all (it's only 99.0).  I don't really have any pain in my incision but I have a little cramping in my lower back.  Could it be my period coming back already?  I was breast feeding up until a couple days ago, but I stopped.  My doctor's office is closed today.  Should I not worry about the bleeding?  Or should I call the hospitals labor and delivery area and ask the nurses there?  I'm just curious.  I'm 25 years old.  I don't remember if I had problems with my 1st c-section so I figured I'd ask others who've been thru it.  Thanks!
I am having the EXACt same problem.  3rd section, 2 weeks ago, I stopped bleeding last thursday and starting bleeding again, heavily, today.  I am cramping in my tummy and back as well.  I have called the doc and since its saturday, the doc on call from my office said to lie down for a few hours and if it continues...go back to the dreaded hospital! It could be an infection or remnants of the placenta (which I thought they would've gotten all of in the surgery)!!  They said that heavy bleeding and cramping at this stage is not normal at least for any singnifigant length of time.So I guess we'll just have to wait it out and see.  keep me posted please.
I had my 2nd c-section 2 weeks ago and have had great support from doctors and midwives.

I found feeding for the first few days caused some cramping - this is because breastfeeding helps the uturus to contract back to normal size.

My surgeons this time were wonderful and I only bled for two days post-op, but I was told to keep wearing pads as at some point within 5-6 weeks I would have a 'gush'.  This is caused by the scab where the placenta attached to the womb coming off, and is nothing to worry about.

When I spoke to my midwife about bleeding, she was concerned that it was red; not orange-ish or smelly - these are signs of infection.

The recovery from my 1st (emergency) c-section was much worse. I haemoraged during surgery and bled heaps for weeks afterwards (don't remember how long though).  Also  I did too much and split the wound - it got infected and weeped lots.  Used sanitary pads and antibiotics and it cleared up but it increased the internal scarring.
Yes, looks like the same story keeps happening.  My last birth was a c-section and my son is already 5 month old and I'm still spotting occasionally like this time, it's been 3 days.  It's been like this since 8 weeks after the birth.  I would be totally clean for a few days, then I found some brown spots.  Sometimes it would be bright red, then turned brown.  I think the latest situation is that it was two weeks that I was totally clear and I thought the bleeding finally stopped, then I started to bleed again... I don't know how long it's going to bleed this time...I really hope it will end soon...
I had baby number 8, and 2nd c section, 14 weeks ago, including tubal ligation, My bleeding stopped at 8 weeks started again at 10, then a period at twelve,now bleeding for 2 days again, and massive pain in lower back and lower tummy! feels like I'm miss carrying, I have had a few, this feels the same, is it supposed to feel like this after having tubes done?, and yes my c-section scar has finally closed and finally no more weeping pusing smell, go natural if you can!!
I had a C Section on Nov 19.  I'm a first time mom so I'm not sure what's normal after you have a C Section.  I'm still bleeding.  It's not a lot.  It's mainly, and sorry if this is too much info, like a brown color.  I haven't stopped since I gave birth it's been light for awhile but I'm not sure if it's normal.  I'm going to talk to my dr about it at my next appt but I don't know if it's worth bringing up.  It just scares me and I want to make sure it's normal.  So anyone that can help that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi all,

Had a c section on the 4th of dec but lost my baby girl i bled for three weeks and it stopped for about a week and it started again but it was not bright red but brownish and even yellowish on some cases and it stopped after about two weeks and after another weeks i started bleeding heavliy i mean gushing and i  went to see the doc and she said it was my period and gave me some bc pills but my worry now is two weeks after am still bleeding though no so heavy but i began feeling an internal pain on the incision site which had completely healed. am beginning to get really worried. i need advice cos i have seen two different doctors who think i should not worry but the third is of the opnion that i might need an internal cleaning up, evacuation he called it
I had my c-section 2/26 but lost her 2 wks later, she was born pre-term. My bleeding was at first light coloured and small, but in the last 3-4 days I have observed more bleeding and redder blood, is this normal?
Non stop heavy bright red for 14 wks baseball clots. I had a c section 3 mths ago. There has always been heavy bright red blood since then. I had one clotty thing larger than a baseball. There was a time I bleed so much I had to stay on the toilet, then passed out. This was over 6 weeks post when that happened. I am now 3 months pp and just passed a harder kinda like a rubber ball thing the size of a little bounce ball. I went to my OB she says I'm fine. I went to ER they say it's normal. I don't think it's normal to last 14 weeks non stop bright red. I'm not breastfeeding.
I had a C-Section the 21st of June. My son will be 3 months the 21st of this month. I started bleeding in the hospital bright red, then it went to brownish and almost stopped, then now because we were at the beach, my mom decided to try to lift me and pressed really hard on the left side of my incision and it hurt really bad, as its still tender to the touch now, and caused me to start bleeding bight red again, i dont know if i should be worried or not because im bleeding bright red, ive been bleeding for the whole going on 3 months, its scaring me, its my first C-Section. Someone please help me!