Maternal & Child Community
bleeding after d

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

bleeding after d

I had a miscarriage two weeks ago.  Had the D&C and did not bleed for five days not even a spot. 5 days later I started spotting then I called the drs office and was given methergine.  it made me bleed more..  (still not alot but enough).  still bleeding after two doses of methergine no fever or cramping.  Anybody bleed like this??  HElp.  DEaling with the miscarriage was enough but to go through this too is ridiculous...

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this.  I had a d/c early in May.  I bled very lightly the first couple of days, thought it was going to end very soon and then continued to bleed for almost 5 1/2 weeks.  I never bled enough to fill more than one or two liners a day, and by the time weeks 3-4 came there were days where I wouldn't bleed at all.  I'd get my hopes up just to bleed again the next day.  My doctor never put me on anything.  He said there wasn't much he could do since we wanted to ttc again.  Right before the bleeding ended it got heavy enough to be almost like a period and then it stopped after a day or so.  I was so frustrated and going out of my mind, especially when I would get on here and see that most women stopped bleeding after a day or two and I was still bleeding 5 weeks later!  I hope that you don't go through the same experience I had, but just know that you are not the only one even though it may feel like it.  I'd let your doctor know that the drug you're taking is not helping, and if the bleeding gets very heavy, definitely let someone know.  The only other thing I can tell you is that even though it doesn't feel like it right now, the bleeding will stop.  Your body just needs more time to recover.  I know that doesn't help the frustration though!
thanks that helps.  I just keep thinkning as soon as I stop bleeding my cyles will get regular and I can start ttc again.  My husband had a vasectoimy - reversal in march and the dr only gave us a year window...  before the vas start to close up again..  but thanks
When I was going through this, I read a couple of posts where some women went on bc for a week to a month to stop the bleeding.  My doctor didn't seem to think that was the answer since we did want to ttc, but it might be something to discuss with your doctor.  He might have a different opinion being that you have a time limit.  I've also heard from many different places that a woman is more fertile after a m/c for about six months, so hopefully it won't take you long to conceive again.  Here's hoping for the best for you!
Thanks so much.  I have called the doctor and will see him today...  after my missed miscarriage that came as a complete surprise we just want this to be over.  I know I will feel better once I start trying again..  thanks for all of your support..
Hello there! I went thru the EXACT same thing as you. I had DNC 07/03 and spotted for 2 days. Then like 5 days later started again with cramping and i thought i had a period. It stopped after 7 days (normal for an AF in me) and 4 1/2 weeks later i started to spot again.....i don't know if they have been periods but i know it hasn't been a normal cycle since we couldn't conceive right away (eventhough doctor adviced to wait, we haven't...)so, i don't know girl, what i can tell you is that mine did stop after 2 or 21/2 weeks so, you will stop too....just be patient (i know easier to say than done) but it'll come sweetie.
after having a late miscarriage i was given methergine in the hospital before and after a DNC - i swelled up in my face and hands alot -  are there alternate drugs that can do the same thing??

i do have a history of miscarriages and am concerned