Maternal & Child Community
bleeding and cramping 1st trimester

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

bleeding and cramping 1st trimester

I am about 5 weeks pregnant and I have already had some spotting and cramping which took me to the ER last week. I was told my levels were all normal and had a sonogram 48 hours later showing my pregnancy not to be ectopic.  It is now 1 week later and I am BLEEDING, like the start of a period with mild to heavy cramping.  I am starting to worry that things are not okay.  My levels have been increasing normally and my last sonogram showed everything to be normal, but now I am bleeding not spotting and I also have pain in my lower back.  It is brown and bright red.  I am not soaking through santintary napkins and I am not bleeding heavily enough to go to the ER again.  Does anyone out there know what this could be? I fear that I am miscarrying. This is my first pregnancy.  Thank you for any and all advice!
Call your doctor immediately...this is a sign of miscarriage unfortunately (I've had 2).  However, my sisters both had bleeding through their pregnancies and had beautiful, healthy children.  It's better to be safe than sorry.  Not to mention, go on your gut instinct...it's okay to call the doctor.  Good luck.
Thanks for your response!  I did call the doctor this morning and went in to have my hormone level re-tested.  The cramping is very faint now and I'm back to spotting.  Sometimes the cramps feel like crushing pains, but then they seem to subside. I think my doctor is getting sick of me calling and me worrying, but that is JUST TOO BAD, right?  Thank you again for your comment and I will post back to let you know what the hormone levels turn out to be.
14000 and still spotting/bleeding.  I'm so confused!  I have an ultrasound on 4/17.
hey i just wanted to say thanx for your response. and i hope that your pregnancy does well.. ill be praying for you!!

chloe
I am also in my 1st trimester. I thought I was 5-6 weeks but Friday I started bleeding and cramping.. Like a period. I went in and they checked my hcg level.. It was at 10. So, They told me I'm more 2-3 weeks pregnant. I started bleeding heavier on Sunday and went back in and my level went up to a 13. Not exactly doubled but it hadn't been a full 48 hours. I go in tomorrow morning for another blood test and hopefully my hcg level is high enough for an ultrasound. All I'm holding on to at this point is knowing there is deff a pregnancy because my hcg level is rising. I'm bleeding and cramping.. It basically feels like I'm on my period. Except I'm bleeding a little less then I would if I was on my period. The cramping is also in my lower back. This is my 2nd pregnancy but I've never had anything like this happen in my 1st so I'm just as confused as you! I'm freaking out!

I hope your pregnancy is ok!