Maternal & Child Community
bleeding gums - pregnancy??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

bleeding gums - pregnancy??

I am curious if anyone out there has had a problem with bleeding gums during pregnancy? I am 8wks, and have had severe gum bleeding for about a week. I had a bit at night when brushing, that turned to some bleeding while I sleep - but now it is all out war. I get spontaneous bleeds that are quite heavy. It is alarming and embarrassing. Today while talking to a friend my mouth just filled up with bloody. Could hardly stop it. I knew to expect some gum bleeding but this seems excessive? Has anyone else had the same thing happen? What should I do? Do I need to go to my OBGYN or Dentist?? Mouthwash, extra brushing, flossing and even teething gel hasn't helped! Oh NO?!!
Yes, I have had the exact same thing happen to varying degrees in each pregnancy.I have used hydrogen peroxide (put it on a cotton ball) on my gums to make the bleeding stop. If you press it on for a minute or two, it will stop it. It is a sign that your gums are more sensitive and more prone to gingivitis so extra flossing & mouthwash is all a good thing, but hydrogen peroxide saved the day every time. I have also had to use a warm tea bag as well when I was out (and I did not have the peroxide with me). It has always been one of the first signs of pregnancy for me. And, sadly, I also developed pregnancy tumors on my gums (they go away right after delivery!). These can be removed by a dentist (if you get them too), however, I found they grew right back within two weeks. Best of luck. Do see a dentist regularly during your pregnancy-they also can help you maintain great teeth & gums.
Go straight to the dentist you sound like you have a severe gum infection,such as piareeher,sorry about spelling,anyway it needs treating straight away before all your teeth get infected by the gums
Going to the dentist can help and it is a good idea to always get things checked out, but I can assure you it disappears as soon as the baby is delivered and that it is brought on by hormones. The dentist was unable to do more than clean the gums and I took excellent care of my teeth (and dental health) throughout my pregnancy...it is very unlikely it is a severe infection. My dentist was able to confirm that it was pregnancy related each time and even told me that there was nothing more I could do other than maintain healthy gums, brush, floss, use mouthwash (all which I was doing).
is it possible to have bleeding gums in early pregnancie...and take it as a sign?
It is possible to have bleeding gums in early pregnancy and it "could" be a sign, however, it can't be counted as the only sign...I always had bleeding gums in early pregnancy which led me to follow it up with a pregnancy test, which confirmed the bleeding gums as an early pregnancy.
ok thank-you, ya no it def not da only sign, happened 11dpo, jus hope it not a sign of needing make a dentist app asap.
Gums become more sensitive with hormone changes. However, it does also show that you are more prone to gingivitis.
ya i def learned something wit my last pregnancie where al i wanted was m&m's now im in da middle of two half done root canals. not fun! next pregnancie chocolate is outta da question which wont b bad anyway less unneeded weight gain
Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately I have suffered a miscarriage at 9.5 wks. Since then, the bleeding has gone down, but not completely stopped!! Why is it still happening? advice? My dentist says that my gums look healthy, just swollen and sensitive?!! I wish it would stop because it is a constant reminder of the pregnancy that didn't work out :(