Maternal & Child Community
blood type

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

blood type

does the child's blood type match the daddy or mother?
Confusing, but here goes:

"Each person receives an A, a B, or an O gene from each parent. In this system, the A and B genes are co-dominant, and the O gene is recessive. Thus a person whose genetic type is either AA or AO will have blood type A, those with genetic type BB or BO will have blood type B, and only those with genetic type OO will have blood type O. This means that a child with type O blood could have parents with type A, type B, or type O blood (but not with type AB). Conversely, if two parents both have type O blood, all their children will have type O blood.

Another medically important blood type is described in the Rh system. These genes were first discovered in the rhesus monkey, hence the designation Rh. The Rh system is actually far more complex than the ABO system in that there are 35 different possibilities that one could inherit from each parent. These, however, are roughly grouped into positive and negative types. In this system the positive are dominant over the negative. Thus if your genetic type is ++ or +-, your blood type will be Rh positive. Only if your genetic type is -- will you be Rh negative. This means that if both parents have Rh+ blood with the +- genes, they could have children who are ++, +-, or --. In other words, their children could be either Rh positive or Rh negative. Children who are Rh negative can have parents who are either Rh positive or Rh negative.

This is why two parents who have O positive blood could easily have a child who is O negative. In fact, most children who are O negative have parents who are positive, since the +- combination is so much more common than the -- combination."
Hello you sound like you know your stuff about blood types so here I go.I just found out I was RH negitive since I found out I was pregnant.Now what if I have no clue what my fiances blood type is?Do it matter now that Im already 25 weeks or is there still a chance of problems?If there ever was a chance for a problem?Do you miscarriage if the two bloods dont match?Write back at ***@**** Thanks
I don't write anyone off the board, sorry.

Doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot if you don't know the father's blood type.  At 28 weeks you will get a shot of Rhogam that will help protect your baby until birth.  Then, after the birth, the cord blood will be checked for the baby's blood type.  If the baby is RH pos, you will get another shot.  

If your fiance had his blood type checked and he was negative, then you could elect to not have the Rhogam at 28 weeks.  The baby's blood type would still be checked at birth.
How come you are just finding out now that you are 25 weeks?  I thought that they tested for that at the beginning??
Is there any affects the baby could have if the parents have the same blood type one positive and one negitive? Like i have O- and he has O+. Is there anything i should be worried about?