Maternal & Child Community
blood

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

blood

where does the blood of the feotus come from? (the father or the mother?)
I believe it's whatever the two combined. Hmmmm, interesting. I think that's how they can test if a man claims a child is not his, if their blood together doesn't mix to what the child has, bingo!
Well the blood type comes from either, which ever has the domonite blood type, just like all the other features. The baby gets half of it's chromosomes from the mom and half from the dad and then it just depends on which genes are domonite.

I read somewhere that the mother's blood and the baby's blood never actually mix. The mother's blood passes by the placenta, where all the nutrients and oxygen are picked up and transfered into the baby's blood. This way if the baby and mother have a different blood type neither have side effects from the other.
Mandi
Still A Mom is right. The baby technically doesn't get his blood from either parent but rather creates his own blood. The placenta helps with this and for all his nutrients the placenta takes from YOUR body to give to the baby, then gives YOU back all the waste. Hence the reason they can do a blood test like the AFP just by taking your blood.
I agree with still a mom Normally during pregnancy, your baby's blood is kept separate from yours and very few blood cells cross the placenta.Your blood is not likely to intermingle in any significant way until you give birth. That's why Rh incompatibility is usually not a problem for your first baby: If your blood doesn't mix until you're in labor, the baby will be born before your immune system has a chance to produce enough antibodies to cause any problems.You'll need a shot after the birth if your newborn is found to be Rh-positive, because if you were exposed to Rh-positive blood during delivery, the shot will prevent your body from making antibodies that could attack an Rh-positive baby's blood during a future pregnancy.The shot (Rh immunoglobulin) is given to you during the pregnancy and then again after you deliver or m/c. This is only an issue for mom's that are RH- factor like I. The doctor told me if they didn't give me a shot after my daughter that my next pregnancy would end in miscarriage. I remember telling my husband make sure they don't forget to give me the shot!!!I kind of went off in a different direction but I agree the blood comes from both parents!!!