Maternal & Child Community
body piercing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

body piercing

I am trying to get pregnant and have my nipples pierced. I want to remove the peircings, anything I should do to help the healing? Someone told me about a cream called Lanolin? I do plan on breast feeding. Thank You
I never pierced my nipples, but I did have my navel pierced. I removed the ring as I started growing beacuse I was afraid that with a poochy belly, it was more of a risk of catching on something! My "hole" is healing up nicely, I just put alcohol in there the first few nights to keep it clean throughout and make sure that it didn't heal with debris inside. It is now pretty much closed up and it's been out for approx 4 months.

As for the nipple rings, I don't KNOW but in my opinion, you should do the same. Remove them immediately and just put alcohol on them occasionally. But I wouldn't use lanolin right now. Lanolin is to soothe sore breasts while nursing. It may actually delay the healing time for your "holes" to close up. A nurse told me once that unwanted piercings heal ALOT faster if left alone.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents!
I wasn't told to take mine out, I just did for practical purposes. With a ring attached to an expanding belly, there was just too much room for accidents to happen!

My best friend's navel was pierced when she got pregnant with her third child and she took it out a few months before his birth. She said after she got home she thought she would just TRY to put it back in because it looked open still and sure enough she was able to get her ring through with no problem at all. (In my case, my hole has closed up though as I mentioned before.)

My cousin on the other hand, told me she put plastic thread through her hole so that her belly could stretch but that her hole would remain intact during the pregnancy. She swears it worked but I haven't looked at her navel to see! She got the plastic thread from Hobby Lobby. Look down the aisle of kids crafts. It should be down there if you want to try it.
I am ttc. And I have my naval pierced.  I was told that you had to take it out.  I was wondering I did not get very big with either of my boys and thought maybe I would be able to keep it in.  I did not have the piercing during my prior two pregnancies.
Hey I just wanted to put my story into this.. I had the bottom part of my navel pierced.. took it out.. and started healing up pretty good.. but..... now i have a huge stretch mark where the piercing was.. and the stretch mark is getting worse and worse by the week...the stretch mark is walking its way straight down my belly.. its a OOOOGgggLLLlllYYYYyyy mark!! hopefully you guys wont have this problem!

~*Chloe*~
I took mine out when I got pg with Jonathan and I got the dreaded stretch mark from hell! Sad thing is it that the top hole is still open, but the underside is closed. Kind of irked me that part of it stayed open, almost like is was teasing me,lol!

Same with my tongue piercing. I had that done for years and after having Jonathan I had a bunch of dental work done and got tired of having to take it out and pocket it every time I went in, so one day I just left it out. A few months later I tried to put it back in and the underside closed up. The layer was thin enough I could have probably popped it through with a little force, but I decided what the heck, I didn't need that anyway : )

Andrea
Thank you.  I would most likley take it out.  I just keep thinking of all the pain I went through to get it done.  But if I could get pg again it would be worth it.  I am going to look into that thread you were talking about.
OUCH!!! The bottom part of your belly button pierced? THAT sounds painful!! LOL

AndiJ-Was yours top or bottom? I am curious because you said you got a stretch mark from it too and so far I havent' gotten one. I am wondering if I should be looking for it!!! LOL
Mine was up top. I was fine until Jonathan went from breech to head down weeks before delivery. My poor belly was ripped with stretch marks after not having any the entire pregnancy! That was one of the first things I noticed was that I had a huge one extending from my bellybutton : (

Andrea