boy or girl
Can you tell if it is a boy or girl by the heartbeat?  My babys heartbeat was 171 bpm.  Is it true that it is probably a girl?
Nope. Old wives tale. My little girls heartbeat was 164 at 7wks then in the rest of the pregnancy she stays in the 130's or 140's.
i don't think that they can know, but i heard old women says that baby boys have a stronger heartbeat than babygirls. but i don't believe it.
Both of my boys were in the 140s the entire time.  My friend was told at around 17 weeks she was having a boy.  At 18 weeks, for her check up the heart rate was in the 160s and then doctor just said "I'd be surprised if this is a little boy"  He was right, at 20 weeks it showed girl plain as can be and she is now 36 weeks along with many many u/s (for pregnancy complications) and it's been a girl ever since.Her first girl was also 160s.

Nicki
My baby is usually around 169bpm and it is a boy.  
I don't know about any of you but I always had a very destinct dream one that you woke up going wow!!!  And in that dream I knew the sex of my child and it was right every time. Has anyone else had this happen.
I posted a question about this a while back, pertaining to having dreams of what you were having. Both my mom and I have had a dream in which i had a girl, but I don't know if it's true yet. Hopefully Monday I'll know. It'll be interesting to see if the mother instinct was correct!
My boys started high and they went lower each visit but bounced around 160's to 130's, averaging 150's most often.  With my first one I just knew it was a boy, even my dreams had a baby boy.  My second boy I kinda knew, I started to waiver just before the u/s, but my inital gut instinct was right.  I have had a few dreams recently that I was pregnant again with another boy.  I have pretty much made peace that when I try for my third and last baby it will be a boy, I just can't picture a girl, eve though I would like one.  Weird, huh.  My friend said her little girl came up to her and hugged her one day and told her she was pregnant again and it was a boy.  How freaky!  She had no idea because they were not trying and she was not late yet, had no signs or thoughts that it was a possibility.  We are waiting to see if the gender prediction is right, that would be pretty strange and cool.
My little girl had a hb of 170, so it was true for me, but probably just a coincidence. This baby has a hb from 160-140, but I won;t know what is is for a few weeks.