Maternal & Child Community
breastfeeding and missed period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

breastfeeding and missed period

My baby is now ten weeks old, and I've been breastfeeding exclusively the whole time.  Last month, af showed up, which I was surprised about but learned it happens to lots of breastfeeding mothers.  The problem is, my period was due three days ago, but I only had about a day of spotting.  Is it normal to start your period when you're breastfeeding and then skip the next one, or is it possible I'm pregnant again (I only had sex once a couple weeks ago but I guess it only takes one time)  I'm really hoping that isn't the case, just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else?
It is not irregular for your periods to be off for a while, your hormones ahve not gone back to normal yet so this is very common happened to, and few months for them to get regular again, but..... wow that would not be unheard of to get preg again if you got your period, what do they call that irish twins or something, I guess you will have to wait and see if anything is different over the next couple of weeks.
thanks for answering, yeah, I'm hoping it's just that my hormones are still not back to normal, I'm just a little freaked out since I had a perfectly normal period last month and things are all weird now.  Good to know it happens :)
i GOT MY AF EXACTLY 30 DAYS AFTER DELIVERY AND THEN AT 60 DAYS AND I'VE YET TO START THIS MONTH AND AM A WEEK LATE. I TOO EXCLUSIVELY BREASTFEED SO IT'S WEIRD THAT I GOT IT THE FIRST 2 MONTHS ON TIME AND NOT MY 3RD.
breastfeeding is not baby proof.  You can definitely get pregnant again and you could even get pregnant before your first period after giving birth.  I know a girl that had her kids 10 months apart.  (She didnt wait for the 6 weeks) Who does?;O)
This is CRAZY!!!!!!   I know exactly what you are going through.  I just had a baby 10 weeks ago.  I had my first period after the baby was born on August 2, it is now September 6th and nothing.  I know its only a couple of days but I can't understand why I would have a normal period one month and then nothing the next.  I am also breastfeeding as I did with my other 2 children and this never happened. My menstral cycle has always been very regular and predictable and the only time I ever was late was because I was pregnant not for anything else.  I am soooooooooooo freaked out.  I can't be pregnant again.  I am finally feeling like myself again and fitting in all my old clothes and I just bought a business.  What in the world am I going to do.  My husband is going to freak.  And yes incase you are wondering we did use all the proper precautions.  Oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!   I am either very cursed or very blessed.  I am going to go with blessed for now.
At this moment i'm passing through something similar...my son is 17 months i've been breastfeeding since he was born and i started my first period 3 months ago and they were all on time , now im worried cause i'm a few days late this month..........Does that mean i can be pregnant or is it normal if im still breastfeeding?............
I am currently breastfeeding my fourth, he is 13 months old, and had my first period, and only, december 8, 2007. so far i am about 10 days late. I took a test on jan. 11, it was negative.   my first child was 2 yr9mo before my period returned, then four periods later i was preg.  my second was 18 mo when i got preg, with 3 periods before. my third was 14 mo when i got preg, with 2 periods before. everytime was it was a normal cycle . i have been tired, nausea, and sore breasts, not good with bf. two weird things. first in nov. my fourth slept all night once which could have cause a single period, but close to the time i should have started i had a dream my husband where my husband said he thought i was preg, and i replied the same thing in the dream.  then i told my husband about the dream and he told me he had a dream, the same night, that someone asked about our family and he replied we have a 9, 5, 3, and 1 yr olds and my wife i preg with twins. then just before i took the test i had adream i took one that came out positive. weird, right. I think i probably am . any thoughts.
PS every other dream my hus. had about our kids was exaltly right.
i dont know if i should go to the doctor or not my baby is thre months and i still hae yet to have any period at all i do breastfeed and ive only had sex once and it was protected so i dont know? what do you think? is this common?
I am in the same boat as most of you.  I have an 8 mo old baby, I stopped breastfeeding exclusively 4mo ago. I had my first period the last week of May (and boy was it a heavy one). I have not had my period since so I am about 2 weeks late. My husband and I are usually pretty careful about using protection, but we did not use  any thing a few weeks ago.  All of my hpt have come b ack negative
You can get PG while breastfeeding it ISN"T birth control SORRY, Just be careful (unless you want one that quickly OMG I would have died but that is me my babies are 9 1/2, 7, 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 she was a surprise the first three (boys) were planned at exactly 2 1/2 years apart--- Jan 99 my oldest was born June of 01 and Dec of 03 then my little one shocked us and SHE was born Oct. of 05 WOW) but they are great and NO form of BC worked for me I now have a tubal ligation!!
Okay so I just had a baby 3months ago. When I first got home I had the regular 6week period after baby and then like 3weeks later I had random spotting here and there but nothing heavy. Now its been since june and I havent had anything at all! I have been breastfeeding off and on and my husband and I have been trying really hard to be careful but we did have sex once without any protection. Now im worried that im pregnant again and im really freaked out!
well if you two didnt use any protection just one time, you two arnt being careful!

you could be pregnant. you should know that already. if you think your pregnant then take a test
im having some of these same problems. i had my second child on may and the usual period after having a baby. my husband and i had unprotected sex twice within the first month after having our child. now in july i had spotting for i like a week, but i havent started since!!! im kinda freaking out i mean i would love to have another baby but not so soon! i do get stomach pains ( very mild) and clear discharge kinda like when you loose your mucas plug ( sorry so graphic), but still nothing happens. ive taken 5 pregnancy tests and they have all come back negative! i do breastfeed (he also takes formula) but mostly breast. any suggestions on what this could be?
hey me again! i did a little research on the matter, and found that it is very normal for breastfeeding mothers to not have a period after giving birth. the website said that some mothers go up to a year without having a period. it said that once your baby starts sleeping through the night that your period may return. you can check it out at i-am-pregnant.com then click on the "babies"link at the top. then scroll down to where it says breastfeeding..and then under that there is a link that says menstruation...click on that and thats where it says that stuff i said earlier. you can also check out...
breastfeed-essentials.com/menstruation.html. that one is a better one to read. hope this helps!!!
I just gave birth to my third child and this time a girl about  6 months ago. I have slowed down on breastfeed this last month. I did get my first period beginning of september and it was heavy and lasted about 1 week. This month i have not gotten my period and i am nervous cause i had a my first c section with this child. I did have relations with my husband end of last month at was unprotected. Could I be pregnant? I am usually regular with my periods. I am nervous cause i am afraid that my body might not be ready for another pregnancy.
yes you can be pregnant concidering you had unprotected sex
i have the same problem. i breast fed my son for over a year. now cutting down to only once in the morning when we are trying to go back to sleep. i have been taking my bc pills pretty good. sometimes im off and take them late but not to late. we have unprotected sex with no condom..so there is a chance of getting pregnant. i had my first period last month on the 17th. lasted for about a 5-6 days. now its been like 34 days...no period but some light brown spotting for the past two days! oh no...i need to know. im thinking about watching it for the next couple of days then going to take a pregnancy test. i dont need another child right now. but you cant hide the fact that you could also be very happy to have another one...
i had my first daughter august 12th and exactly 6 weeks after birth i got my period again even tho i was BFing. i have been regular until now. my last period was around the end of december so im not technically late yet but i stopped BFing 2 weeks ago and now i have no period yet no cramping no bloating slight moodiness and my husband and i didnt use a condom the week after my last period...could i be pregnant or am i not getting PMS like usual cos i stopped BF
I also got a problem on my menstrual period its been about a month and a week ago since a got my period. and my baby is almost 3 months old now.. and i am worrying now cause my period was not back in normal.. i am hoping that you can help me.
omg! im going thru the same thing im totally freakn out i only breastfeed my 3 month boy i gotten my norm period 6 weeks after giving birth by c section in feb, i recieved my period in march light spotting in april and nothing since i have been experiencing some cramping and bloating for about 10 days now but no period i have taken 4 tests and they were all neg my and my hub used protection every time bc i kept forgetting to take my bc pill but now i just dont no wat to do this is so stressful
Going through the same thing, my daughter is 2 1/2 months old. born on july 31. around sept 13 i started to spot randomly dark brown discharge and a little pink. Few days later, i started to spot heavier. and now its
Oct. 16 and supose to have my period this past weekend. Could i be pregnant or is this very normal to most full time breast feeding moters?