Maternal & Child Community
bruise that won't go away

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

bruise that won't go away

Ok Well my son is almost 6 and was running in the lunchroom about a month ago and fell and got hurt he had a nice size bruise on his face i didn't think much about it considering he was always finding new ways to hurt himself lol well it's been a month now and most of the bruise went away well there is still a small portion that is still rather dark and when i touch it it feels hard it's kind of hard to explain he says it doesn't hurt and i guess i am just wondering what you think it could be i am taking him to the dr on tuesday to get it checked out
I don't know about it being hard, could just be a knot but typically when bruises take forever to go away it's because of anemia. You could take him to get a blood test done to see if he's anemic. That's the only guess I have.
you know i never even thought about that he actually is anemic he is such a picky eater but has been taking iron supplements for it can some medication interfere with iron supplements he is on respiridol, medadate, ritalin, and tenex i bet anyone of those can cause the iron supplements he is taking to not work as well i will ask his dr on tuesday
I think there is always some med that will interfere with another but I'm not sure aobut iron and have no idea what might interfere if there is a med that does. You'll have to ask his doctor.
     I'm not sure if you've already talked to the doc about your son's lump/bruise on his face, but I wanted to say that my son (4 1/2) has the same thing.  It was actually back in Nov 2008 that my son fell and hit his cheek.  It formed a bruise, then a lump.  He's had the lump now for 8 months and the bruise is gone, but I can see little red capillaries.  Back in December my doc said it was a calcified bruise and that it may take a year or more to go away.  It still worries me though and I was wondering if you found out anything from your doctor.
My eight yr old has a bruise on his forehead and its been for months he said he was running and ran into a pole I didn't think too much boys are boys right but I didn't get concern until a bruise on his left cheek formed should I be worrie?