calcified placenta
i am 36 weeks pregnant and went in for an ultrasound, the dr. told me that my placenta looks very aged in was covered in calcium deposits. i am scheduled for another ultra sound soon, the thing that worries me is all the dr. said is that we cant reverse it but they want to recheck it. i have not found much info on the subject nor has the dr explained it much. does anyone have any information on what i can expect, and what the down fall of this condition is for me and my unborn baby? i am very scared!
I was  monitered yesterday (non stress test) and they said the baby was fine. Do you think they will let me go till my due date in 4 weeks? I am going for an ultrasound tomorrow to check the placenta again. My concern is since they said it was extremely calcified will they keep me or let me go until they think the baby is struggling?

I don't know about the "calcified" part, but with a placenta that looks aged, they will want to monitor the baby and make sure it seems to be growing at the appropriate rate and that its heartbeat is normal, not depressed.  If they think the baby is getting less support from the placenta, i.e., has a depressed heart rate or whatever, they might induce you earlier rather than waiting the full 40 weeks until you go into labor naturally.  So expect the heart rate to be monitored when you go in.
Hi.

I had a calcified placenta when I was expecting my second baby, I had a scan at 40 weeks and 2 days and it showed the placenta looking calcified I had to stay in hospital from that point and be monitored until I was induced 3 days later (hospital went hectic with women giving birth so I wasn't considered priority as they were monitoring me) I was shown my placenta after the birth (lovely huh!) and it was quite calcified.  Has your doc said about getting you in to be induced? As once calcification starts the placenta is not doing its job 100% apparently.

All the best

Claire
Most likely when you hit 37 weeks (which is considered full-term) they will induce you.  They will continue to monitor you until then and if something else arises, they will induce sooner.  Everything should be fine, the more weeks that pass the healthier your little one is and you are very close to the finish line so try not to worry.  I wish you the best of luck!
Hi again.

Yes I have to agree with the lady who said they will prob induce at 37 weeks, as long as babe is doing ok inside then best to give as long as possible, babys lungs will be fully mature by 37 weeks too.  The reason I was kept in and induced was I lost 3 babies before I got pregnant with my daughter and then whening my son, my blood pressure shot the day I went in for a check up, I was 40 weeks 2 days by then and they decided to induce.

Is this your first baby?

I'm sure all will be fine, just think you will prob be holding your little bundle sooner rather than later!

Claire
thanks for the great advice. i am suppose to go in today for another ultrasound, so i will keep you posted.

to answer your question, this is my 5th baby. my last pregnancy was 6 years ago i had twins a boy and girl at 35 weeks!