calcium deposits on fetal heart
My best friend is 24 years old and is pregnant with her first child. She is currently 1/2 way through her pregnancy and already completely in love with the child she can now feel growing inside her. She went for her first ultrasund last week and was excited to find out she was having a girl. However, excitement soon turned to dread when the doctor told her there appeared to be a calcium deposit on the baby's heart. Still not exactly sure what this means for the baby or the development of the heart she was told to wait to hear from the office about any further tests. Wasn't her normal doc and was a real jerk! Any advice as to what this means and how it can effect the baby growing inside her?
Isn't going 20 weeks without an ultrasound a little long, just wondering.  I wish her all the luck in the world!
I don't know much about it, but I have read about a lot of people that have been told during a sono and their baby turned out perfectly healthy.
The American Heart Association writes about the diagnosis of a "bright spot" and mentions that a follow-up might be a fetal echocardiagram (like an ultrasound but focusing on the heart) mostly to reassure the parents:

"... In most cases this test is just precautionary and is done to reassure you that everything is normal.  This is almost always the case when the reason for referral is a “bright spot.”  These usually represent normal calcium deposits on one of the muscles or one of the heart valves.  They almost always go away by the time the baby is born."

So it sounds like a calcium deposit is a normal thing.  Your friend could call her regular doc to be sure.
I just had my 18-week ultrasound and was told my baby has a calcium deposit on his heart, also known as an echogenic cardiac focus. I was also told that this is associated with Down's. From what I understand, lots of babies can have this and turn out absolutely normal. When it's your baby it's hard to stay positive though. I am 31 and pregnant with my second child. I have been a wreck. I am meeting with genetic councelors tomorrow.
My baby didnt have this but when i had a sono about 20 wks in i was told my baby had chroid plexus cyst. They told me over the phone and didnt even have the nerve to tell me what it was!! i was so freaked out and i read up online about it and read these horror stories and come to find out these are usually always seen and just go away on their own. Dr's have to tell you even tho they are nothing to worry about. And im sure this is the same with your friends baby. My daughter was born perfectly normal.