Maternal & Child Community
can being overweight cause no period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

can being overweight cause no period

ok here is another question from me...an online friend told me that the reason I haven't had a period since March is that I am slightly overweight..I was 136 pounds before I got pregnant with my son, went up to 204 while pregnant, after he was born I dropped back to about 180 but then at 5 months postpartum I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My thyroid has been under control for over a year now, I take 125mg of synthroid daily. My weight has gone up ever since being diagnosed. I don't exercise and the cost of "healthy" food here is beyond what we can afford (for a 2 litre of milk, it cost $3.59 and we don't have 4 litres), I weighed myself last night and I weigh around 208-210...I was just wondering if this would be the reason for not getting a period and if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing..thank you
Tags: maternal
Weight gain and weight loss can affect your cycles.
being overweight can cause your hormones to not function properly which can cause you not to ovulate and therefore prevent cycles (I'm overweight and had/have this problem, so I know alot about it).  However, the reverse could also be true. You could have a weight problem because your hormones don't function right and you don't ovulate (thyroid and how your body metabolizes glucose). This could be the case particularily if you find it difficult to lose weight (seem to gain no matter what you do).

The first thing I would do is get your thyroid regulated (eventually the dose of your synthroid will level out). Once that is taken care of if you still aren't able to conceive (regardless of your weight) I would see your OB and ask them to test your insulin resistance and evaluate you for PCOS (Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) Both can be treated with medication which can eventually correct infertility.

That said- I know you said you don't exercise, but I'd just like to tell you that walking (even 30 minutes 3 times a week) can make a huge difference in the way your body regulates hormones and if you're serious about having a baby you may want to try it. It's not that bad once you get used to it.

Myself- I finally got pregnant after 5 years of trying, but it took diet and exercise to do it (south beach diet and 30 minutes of walking per day) Good luck and hang in there. :o)
Newfie - I know what you mean about weight.  I graduated in 1990 and weighed 105 pounds.  By the time I was 24 I was 160 pounds.  I am like you I do not exercise either.  I do not know if I have a thyroid problem.  I got pg with my DD at 25 yrs old weighing 164 lbs.  By the time I was 9 months I gained 30 which I lost all of in the 6 week time but gained it all back and then some.  I did lose 20 lbs by cutting back how much I ate and danced around to Richard Simmons videos.  I of course gave up and gained all my weight back again.  I got pg with DS and got up to 225 and after I had him I was down to 185 only to gain 10 lbs back again.  I have never had problems with my periods or getting pregnant.  If anyone has any advice on how to lose weight that would be great.  I am a carbaholic and the only meats I eat are ground beef, pot roast and polish sausage only on special holidays.  

Stacie you said walking 30 min a day 3 times a week - Is that all that is recommended for weight loss?????  I have a wedding I am in Oct 8th and would really love to drop A LOT of weight by then if possible.  I had to order a size 24 dress (which they said would be way to big in some areas but then some areas it may work)  I can't walk down and aisle looking like this.  Thanks and Take Care
not all that is recommended, but my doctor says that even that small amount can make a huge difference in hormonal balance and affect weight loss. I'm up to 30 minutes per day every week (but that's mainly because if I don't commit myself to every day I find myself justifying why I don't need to do it that day. hee hee).

he's right though, I know since I've been monitoring my blood sugar, just that amount of walking a day seriously impacts the #'s.
Yes being over weight can influence having your cycle also a problem with your thyroid can too.
I also take medication for my thyroid it affects your metabolism and hormones.
I find with the  thyroid problem its alot harder to lose weight.
Just exercising a bit and even cutting back a bit helps instead of two burgers eat one and a salad stuff like that or eliminating sugar from coffee. You might not find yourself losing 50 lbs but 5 or 10 and thats a start
We all want to lose it fast but thats when it re appears just as fast and more!
I lost 45 lbs about 5 years ago but found it again!
Its easier said than done! Good luck to you
About weight loss, if you find that you snack alot, just try to stop snacking between meals.  Dont even worry (at first) about what you are eating at meal time.  Just start out with baby steps, take out your snacks, start walking 3 times a week.  In a month or so you will see progress and you will want to cut back at meal time also.  We do all want to lose it fast (especially me!), but it is a daily thing.  I have now lost a total of 40 of the 50 I gained during pregnancy.  I have 10 of that left, but 20 to get to what I want to weigh ( i had already gained some before preggo HEHEHE).  Dont be hard on yourself or you will get discouraged and that might make you eat more.  Good luck.
I have alot of trouble with "dieting" I find that I am hungry all the time...when I was pregnant with my son I had gestational diabetes and couldn't eat what I wanted, when I wanted and it was awful. I seemed to be hungry ALL the time and even now I find that it's the same thing. I have tried to cut calories and it was not fun..my mom is cutting calories and she seems to be doing good on it but I just can't do it. I hate feeling hungry and that is what happens when I try to lose weight...any suggestions..
Dont tell yourself you are "dieting".  Just stop snacking between meals.  Find something else to do instead.  It is hard.  Read a book, if you work, take a break and chat with a coworker if possible.  Just do your best to stop snacking between meals.  If you find that you must, take a snack with you like an apple, bananna, yogurt, anything.  Just try not to snack on empty calories.  A good snack that usually satisfies me when I want something sweet is a glass of chocolate milk made with skim milk.  you get the sweet you crave with not so many calories (unless it is a huge glass with alot of choc).  One day at a time.  If you "fall off the wagon" one day, dont beat yourself up, just start over the next day.  You can do it girl.
I found this:

Just Desserts  

by Mary Daheim

It is a murder mystery if this is the same book.   Go to google.com and type Just Desserts in the search site.
You need to have things ready in the fridge
I snack also I think it just becomes a habit
So some days i spend cutting up carrots celery, radishes, green beans raw
And eat all I want I figure that its better than a choclate bar so I eat whatever amount of those foods.
I would love to go on a "fad" (lol) diet like south beach or weight watchers or even Jenny Craig but there is no way that I could afford it...I can barely afford even remotely "healthy" food let alone a diet and the food you need to eat while on it...I want to lose weight but I just don't want to be hungry all the time..It seems as if everytime I try to lose weight I end up giving up cause I am starved and can't take it...I don't drink alot of soda but I don't drink alot of water either..I hate tap water and if I am going to drink water it has to be bottled or some type of spring water...DH refuses to buy it..he says "I am not going to pay for water when it comes out of the tap for free"..so there goes that idea....
my sister gained a lot of weight and read just desserts.  Well she lost a ton and has kept it off for over 11 years.  I read it ten years ago and weighed about 105 prebaby but ate like a HOG!!!!!
Heres the trick.  Never eat anything with the calories from fat being more than 30%  of the total.  So if something has 210 calories - you should only eat it if it has less than 7 grams of fat.  It is so easy and you can eat so much more.  I eat all day every day,.  You should see me at a buffet I outeat everyone.  You even learn what candies are OK - three musketeers milk duds etc.   I was 98 pounds before my son.  Went up too high after my diforced and stayed between 105 and 120  by eating right  (if I ran that I stayed at or below 105)  and moderate excercise.  SOmeone once told me if you eat butter on your toast and cut it out you can lose a pound every ten days just from cuttingout the butter on your toast in the am.  (The same holds true as someone above mentioned for drinking regular pop - every ten pops is  a pound!!!  3500 calories equals one pound)  And yes also mentioned above - a heavier person can lose weight quickly just from walking!
Good luck gals!
Actually water is great
Its also a mind thing you have to tell yourself Im going to do it
When i dieted the last time everytime I was hungry i would take 10 drinks of water.
If I can get past two weeks  Im set its those two weeks that is the hardest
You have to set your mind to it
do you drink tap water though..I can not stand tap water...it just doesn't taste good...how do I get DH to buy water?
ok- don't hate me, but I'm going to point something out- this isn't done out of meanness. I'm a heavy person too, so please keep that in mind.

what I'm hearing from you are excuses which are fine if you are ok with how you look and feel. I know I was fine with my appearance and health for a long time, so I'm not putting you down for it, but if you want to lose weight you have to give up the excuses.

excuse #1- healthy food costs more... maybe so- but if you are eating less of it the coss balances out. you'll get much fuller (and stay fuller longer) on a chicken breast and brocolli than you will a bag of potato chips.

excuse #2- I'd like to drink more water, but I don't like the taste of tap water and bottled water is too expensive.... buy a $20 britta pitcher- way cheaper than bottled water and tastes just as good.

excuse #3- I'd like to diet, but when I do I'm hungry all the time... you're hungry all the time because your body is used to having large quantities of "bad" food (easy to digest cheap carbohydrates).  To change that, you're going to have to commit to changing eating habits... believe me- you won't be hungry forever, especially if you eat healthy snacks in between meals (string cheese, a piece of fruit, etc.)

excuse #4- and I haven't heard you say it yet, but I'm sure I hear it coming- I don't have time to exercise.  Sure you do- you just don't MAKE time for it. In the 1/2 an hour it takes to watch a sitcom or talk on the phone (or surf the internet) you could have walked at least a mile...

I know all of this sounds really harsh, but sometimes it just has to be said like it is.  All that said, I wish you the best of luck with your weight and your quest for a baby.  It really is possible that you're having trouble with your weight because of your thyroid, so hang in there.

I'm really not mean, I swear I'm not... :o)
who is the author of the book Just Desserts...it sounds like something I would be interested in reading..I want to see if my public library has a copy of it
i had the same problem. turns out it was due to my insulin resistance (borderline diabetic. In other words, the way my body was processing insulin wasn't efficient so it was always screaming for more food!! :o) There are medications that help with this (glucophage), but what I found most helpful for me was the South Beach Diet. I know everyone says it is a fad, but I really don't think it is.  It's kinda limited in the first 2 weeks of it while it helps your body learn how to effectively use insulin, but after the 2 weeks you feel so much better and aren't ever hungry... you won't believe how much energy you have... once you follow it for a little while you'd be surprised how "educated" you are as to what foods have what kind of effect on your body... so far I've lost almost 50lbs (had to put it on hold because I am pregnant and am now following a diabetic diet due to gestational diabetes). So, it is possible.

if you think you can only handle a minor change right now- GIVE UP SODA. you won't believe how many empty calories the average person consumes with that stuff every day!! :o) (think 150 calories every 12 ounces- is that really worth it?)

Bottom line- you have to be really committed. There is always an excuse out there you can use to keep from trying to lose weight. You just have to commit to not using them...  

My doctor puts it best, I think.  He says you should "eat to live" and not "live to eat".

Anyway- getting off my soapbox now. :o)
I did drink my tap water until the Walkerton water tragedy then tested mine  it didnt have the ecoli but had some dirt in it.So i do now buy bottled water. If you watch for sales water isnt too expensive and thats coming from Canada! Where everything is more..or it seems...
You just tell dh your buying it Im sure he spends money on something ..beer, tools, golf,,or something???

Even if you have a water jug and are somewhere else to fill it up.
Its hard work and its every day to tell yourself I know Ive tried for years!
Even if you have a bad day then make the next one good
It didnt happen over night the weight so unfortunately it wont disappear overnight.
I wish it would too!