Maternal & Child Community
can beta-thallasemia-minor have symptoms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I was diagnosed with beta thallasemia minor at about the age of 5.  I never realized I had any symptoms, but as I am now 45, I'm beginning to wonder.  I had an incident that put me in the hospital for another cause, but it effected my enemia so much so, I was given a transfusion.  I almost immediatly recouperated from both causes.  I sometimes experience "frozen" fingers where the circulation stops to one or two of them stops and they go ice cold.  It usually lasts only a ferw minutes.  I have restless leg syndrome.  I have difficulty sleeping.  My sleep habits are off.  I feel extremely tired and lethargic, especially in the middle of the day.  I also have a massive craving for salt.  I been told that my bone marrow compensates for my enemia and in doing so gobbles up electrolites.  Is that true.  I have also recently found myself becoming potassium deficient.  Is that also related.