Maternal & Child Community
can dcf take my baby away from opiates showing up in system??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

first off i would like to say i know it is hard not to judge and i cant blame anyone for being judgemental but i am very depressed and upset about this enough already even though i have ultimately done this to myself. I have been taking oxycodone off and on throughout my pregnancy, i am due to have my c section in 2 days and i took a pain pill 2 days ago. The pills are not prescribed to me and my doctor knows nothing about this to my knowledge, i have been giving urine samples throughout my pregnancy but I'm not sure if any were drug tested or not, I do have an addcition to them and im very weak when it comes to coming off of them, the reason i hadnt tried to come off of them until now is because i was still working and work was unbareable without taking a pill, ive tried numerous times throughout the pregnancy to quit but i havent been able to due to the physical and emotional pain and distress it causes me, I made myself "feel better" about taking these pills throughout the pregnancy by researching online and reading that oxycodone is only a class B drug and does not pass through the fetus wall which im not sure now if i believe, anyway my biggest fear is that my baby is going to be taken away from me at the hospital, yes i am also worried about his health but i havent worried much about it because i know many people who are prescribed opiates during pregnancy and i dont take a high amount of the drug, I just want to know if anyone knows what they would do at the hospital. I began to worry 2 days ago when i went in for a pre c section surgery run down basically, and i was asked to give a urine sample , i know if they test that sample that it will come up positivie for opiates, if they were to test me again on tuesday the day i have the c section i know i will come up clean but ive been reading that they can test the baby and that the results from that can go back months meaning there would be opiates in his system too, I really just want to know what to expect here will i be leaving the hospital with my baby or can they possibly take him from me??? im scared, ashamed and worried to death.  also i live in florida if that makes a difference i know the laws are different.
well i don't know quite how to answer your question, but i can tell you what they do up here (i live in montana)  i have been prescribed opiates off and on throughout the end of this pregnancy....i have had kidney stones, etc. and they can't do surgery while i am pregnant!  yes, they can test the baby if their is suspicion of drug abuse.  yes, it does pass through the uterine wall, in fact even though i have taken opiates, my doctor would not allow me to take anymore after 38 wks. because it can depress the babies lungs and they can have a lot of difficulty breathing when they are born.  the biggest concern is the baby coming out addicted.  the baby will go through everything that you do concerning the pain of withdrawls, etc.  if there are signs of this, yes, they can take the baby away, or at least they do up here...i don't know about florida!?!  i don't want to scare you and i don't judge you at all!!  addiction is a HORRIBLE battle, and i have been there in the past....i was clean for almost 6 months before i got hit with kidney stones, but thankfully i knew the beast, took them as prescribed and was able not to develop a problem...this time.  please feel free to pm me if you need to talk, etc.  i wish you and the baby the best of luck and i am praying for you!!
I wrote you an answer in your previous thread.  Don't worry about the laws in your state - instead concentrate on telling your doctor however painful it might be so treatment can be begin accordingly.

Best of luck to you and hopefully your baby will only go through mild withdrawal.
I would guess that if you work out a plan with your doctor, you will not lose custody of your child.  It's the women who are hiding the issue that look suspicious to the authorities (because they look like they intend to keep using after the baby is born), not those who have a plan worked out with their doctor to withdraw.  Your doc will have heard all of this before and will be able to advise you, and I think (not sure) might even be able to prescribe you something else to help you come off the original drug to which you are addicted.  Good luck, hon.  Call and go see the doctor first thing tomorrow, and tell him.  
I live in CT and have been on methadone for many years.  I am due to have my baby in less than a month.  I have been told that DCF will be called in to the hospital, regardless if I am clean or not simply because I am on methadone and will then want a full investigation (hair test, interviews with relatives, arrest record etc...)and will not allow me to take me child home until it is finished.  
IS THIS TRUE?  
It seems to me that if a mother is prescribed a legal opiate medication, she shouldn't have to be put through this.
Please, any help is greatly appreciated as I am so worried!!!!
Hi my name Ashley they take my first child away because they say I was neglect the baby because I never go to the clinic I was young they make me sign my right away but now I'm 23 years old and I'm pregnant I have a job, a place and just graduate with my associate degree I'm scared are they going to take my baby away in the hospital please let me know