Maternal & Child Community
can i get pregnant without ovulating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

can i get pregnant without ovulating

I have not had a period since may 2004. The one before that was december.  It is now november 2004 and i would like to get pregnant within the next 4 months. How can i chart my ovulation if i dont know when i am ovulating becuase i am not having periods. How do i even know if i am ovulating at all? My doctor says i have nothing to be worried about but i dont understand why i am not having a period.
Have you been tested for PCOS?  That is one of the symptoms, generally no period=no ovulation and therefore no conception but there are meds you can take to fix this if it's the case...  good luck!
hmmmmm.

Ummm...you have to release an egg to get pregnant. If you are not ovulating or having cycles your best bet is to go to a doctor. Good Luck.
I just opened the forum seen the topic and your name and before clicking on it knew what you response would be :)
I would think that if you are only having about 2 periods a year and are seriously trying to get pregnant your doctor would have done some sort of test.  Even if someone is not trying to get pregnant i would think that most doctors would try to get the patient's period regulated.  It sounds to me like you shoul consult another doctor if you are serious about this.
umm i have never heard of anyone not getting pregnant w/o ovualting unless you have eggs transplanted in you by a dr. but no you cant get preg. w/o ovualing because for one you have the have the eggs relaeased on order to get pregnant. hope this helps
christie.
Ovulation by definition is releasing an egg from your ovary, and you can't get pregnant without doing this.  Your doctor should have ordered tests a long time ago if your periods are that irregular AND you are trying to get pregnant.  I would give him a call now.
I agree.
No, you cannot get pregnant without ovulating.  However, you may not ovulate every month, therefore you may still become pregnant.  You may be heading towards premature ovarian failure.  You did not state your age, but it happens as early as 21, but lack of menstral cycles is a characteristic of POF.  Menstruation becomes sporatic and eventually ceases.  I would ask your doctor to do the following blood test: LH and FSH, these will tell doctors if you are going through premature menopause.  Oh yeah, if this is the case and it is caught early enought they can give you progesterine that may help you become pregnant. Don't give up!
You cannot get prego w/o ovulating, but you can get prego if you ovulate w/o having your period. Trust me I know.
with yah as usual.
Hey Cheryl,

You and I are in the exact same situation.  I just went to the doc 2 weeks ago and told my doc that I am trying to conceive but I hadn't had a period since August.  I was put on Provera to start my period, which I did, but it seems like whenever I dont take those I dont have a period so I'm not sure what's going on.  My doc also did bloodwork on me and everything was normal so she put me on what's called a Nuvaring, which is a vaginal insert that will regulate my cycle for a couple of months and then after that I am going to try again.  I have been looking for answers to this question for a long time so if anyone else is experiencing this or have been able to conceive after this please share.

thanx
Hi Cheryl, sounds like me, im 29 with my second parner trying for babies, im lucky if i have two periods a year, ive been tested so many times when i first started trying i was told i had p.o. even had a small operation where they make a small hole above belly button and put dye in my tubes. that was clear. so ahead with meds, that failed we went went our seperate ways. next partner we been trying without any help for three years. have had all the blood test again but strangely they all came back fine, problem is, its not as im still not a proud parent. periods not coming but have all symtoms (symptoms) like im going to have one, not given up new year coming new start. take care emma x
Hi I'm 25 and I was having the same problem.  My doctor prescribed provera to start my cycle and Clomid to help me ovulate.  I have a 3 yr old daughter now and starting the process again.  It took me 6 cycles the first time so let's see how long it will take this time around.  Good luck to all
Hi! I'm 37 and have had the same problem i just found out today that i have (POF). My husband and i (2) have been wanting to have another baby together, my tubes are tied and i have only one ovary. Well, i had tests done because of no periods and this has gone on for 3yrs. of less and less periods and then down to 2 periods in one year and then barely anything at all 4mths.ago. My blood work came out ok but my LH and FSH came out not normal i think it was too high. This should have been caught with the previous doctor that i had gone to but all he said was i needed to lose weight for my periods to start back up again. It turns out that something should have been done and wasn't. Why do we have to go through this isn't it the  doctor's responsability to take care of his patient? When i did not fully understand the results i went to the clinic to get answers but all i got from the nurse was a sheet explaining what i had and symptoms she also told me to be thankful for the 4 kids i already had and that no one wants to here about going through menopause but it is something we need to deal with. I was hurt and very upset when i came home needless to say i am not giving up can i still get pregnant if i take the hormones i need to take to get my periods going again or is it too late for me? My husband and I want a child of our own my daughter is willing to donate her egg to help us out but if i can do it the other way with hormones i would like to give it a try what is your input?
i am very irregular also. i was put on clomid, and this is cycle day 21, still no ovulation for me.  my mother inlaw said to try progesterone cream. or wild yam root cream. it is supposed to regulate your cycle.  you can buy it at walmart for about $10.  it might be worth the try. im going to.  i'll let everyone know how it works.

by the way lonely37, dont listen to your dr about menopause. you might be having symptoms of menopause, but you can still get pregnant. my mom was 40 when she had her last child. she was told she couldn't get pregnant anymore because she was going through menopause.  they were wrong. if you want another baby, try your hardest to have one! it is your life!  keep trying, and good luck
hey! I just wanted to say that i havent had a cycle, or a period in like 9 months and 3 days ago i found out i am 5 weeks pregnant! so there is hope, im not sure how it works but it sure did! i will ask my dr next time i go and hopefully get back to you with more of  a solid answer! good luck! and know that it is possible!