can i have hcg hormone in my blood without being pregnant?
I have taken two two test for my hcg level the first one was 4.25 and the second test was lower. i was taking clomiphene citrate 50mg to help me get pregnant. I was told i was pregnant with my first lab test,then they told me i wasnt on my second lab test because the hcg level was to low. i have done research on hcg and to my understanding hcg can only be developed when we are pregnant. I am confused. I am bleeding if i were on my regular period with lots of cramping. My question is was I ever pregnant?
If I remember correctly, I think you can have a 1-3 number and it would be considered negative. I think I heard even men can have a 1. As for your number, I'm not sure. That could be your normal low. However, it is possible you could have been preg and the number is on it's way down. An ultrasound might show the extra tissue there if you were. But usually with a misscarriage your period would be a little heavier sometimes a lot and usually it's more painful. Sorry! I'm not sure if this will help any. Mine weren't that low post missarriages. Only once I had my d/c's did they get back to that range.
5 or less is considered not pg. so yes you can have trace amounts without a pregnancy.
Hi have a look at these web sites I think you might find them helpful.

http://www.bobrow.net/kimberly/birth/hcglevels.html

http://www.betabase.info/showBasicChart.php?type=Single
I've heard the same thing about <5 being not pregnant levels.
i suspect that you might have been pregnant, but lost it. apparently it happens very frequently, only most people don't even know they ever were pregnant because their levels never get high enough to cause symptoms, and the hcg drops quickly enough for them to get their period on time. in fact, when i was researching when to take HPTs, i found it was often advised to not take them until your af is due unless you think you can handle knowing that you may have miscarried without knowing.
Most doctors don't consider HCG levels under 25 as a positive.  However, some forms of ovarian tumors/cysts can cause a raise in HCG levels and give "false positives".  So I don't think you were pregnant, but I'm not a medical professional.  Keep up your treatment and hang in there, I hope all the best for you.