Maternal & Child Community
can i?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

can i?

ok. i was born with 2 kidneys and in july 2000 when i was only 6 years old ( now gonna b 16) i had to have my left kidney removed immediately because my ureta tube or something like that was blocked and my kidney had became blocked filled with infection and the size of a normal football. The doctors say im lucky i didnt wait another 2 days or my kidney woulda exploded and i woulda died instantly from the infection that was within my kidney They closed off my ureta tube to that kidnet.  It might have had something to do with my being born 3 1/2 months early but they doubt it.Today im fine but i was wondering  is it safe for me to have children when im older? will me havin this kidney problem effect me being able to carry a baby?
They have done research on populations of young women who have donated a kidney, to answer this very question.  Since people who donate kidneys are 60% women, and acceptable donors have to be young and healthy, the question naturally arose as to whether it was dangerous for a woman who had given up a kidney to subsequently get pregnant.  Here is what they found:  "pregnancy after kidney donation does not increase maternal or fetal risks beyond that of the general population."  So although when you ultimately get pregnant (not soon, I hope), you should be sure your doctor knows your status in regard to kidneys, it doesn't sound like you are at any more risk than any of your friends of equal healthiness who have 2 kidneys.
Hi. I'm 16 and I've been living with one kidney my entire life. My neurgolist told me that i could live a normal healthy life. You just have to be carefull with certain things.
Some things:
-drinking
-horse playing
-smoking(im not sure why)
-having kids
    when you are pregant you and your OBGYN doctor will become best friends.
thats what he told me at least.

Good Luck
I have a very close friend who was born with a diseased kidney which was removed when she was a young adult. She has 2 beautiful little boys.  Both pregnancies were considered very high risk and she was closely followed by her doctors. She ended up in the hosp MANY times with kidney issues. But it is possible.   Good Luck in the future. You have plenty of time. :)