Maternal & Child Community
can orgasm cause a miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

can orgasm cause a miscarriage

I had two early m/cs this past summer/spring so I was worried when I got pregnant again a few weeks ago that it might happen again, and today I started bleeding. I already had blood work done to investigate the other m/cs so am taking high doses of folic acid and baby aspirin as a result. Anyway, last night my husband and I gave in to having oral sex b/c I was avoiding all sex recently worrying about having another miscarriage this early on. We read that sex cannot cause a miscarriage, and we purposely avoided intercourse as thinking it's more invasive to a pregnancy, but I am bleeding now. Has anyone experienced this before and/or was told even oral sex can cause miscarriage early on in a pregnancy? Sad and confused.
Oral sex cannot cause m/c. Orgasm mill not caue m/c either in a healthy pregnancy. If you are indeed having a m/c, then there was nothing more you could have doen to stop it from happening.
an orgasm can lead to a miscarriage only if you have implantation problems.. I am reading a book on pregnancy problems and thats what it indicates.  my thoughts and prayers are with you

So sorry about your m/c's - i dont think an orgasm could be the cause but i would advise that you have your uterus lining checked - the problem could be that implantation is failing and thats why you are getting the problem. I read on this forum that Vitamin B helps to strengthen the utiline wall - please ask your Dr for advice.

Praying for you all the way from Africa!
Thanks for your reply. I've been taking a prenatal vitamin that has vitamin B, plus additional very high doses of folic acid after a possible abnormal blood result after the first 2 m/cs. I will follow up with my doctor, though there really were no answers to why I had the two earlier m/cs, so I'm doubtful they'll know more about this one. I was just embarrassed to ask them about the oral sex but hope it's independent given my history of early m/cs anyway. That's great you're from Africa. I'd love to visit someday though I haven't gotten there yet and I thought once I have a baby I may never get there, but hopefully someday I will have both - a baby and trip to Africa!
Sorry about your loss! But NO! Orgasms don't cause miscarriages. Its better to investigate the other causes with your Dr. and try not to take on all that GUILT( Iknow its hard). Many of us will tell you from experience it does more harm than good.
Goodluck in your journey
Orgasm can't cause miscarriage, though it can cause contractions.  (Technically, that is exactly what an orgasm is, but of course I'm talking about the bad kind of contractions.)

As you probably know, NO SEX.  None.  Including oral sex.  No sex, no heavy lifting, no exercise, etc.  Spotting/bleeding means you are now to be very careful in what you do.  

Also, oral sex just isn't the best thing in pregnancy because of the air thing.  Chances are nothing will go wrong, but I just wouldn't take that chance.  

My husband and I weren't allowed to have sex during the first trimester and it was difficult, but we got through it.  Remember that it is for a very worthy cause.
The only concern around oral sex during pregnancy is a possible air embolism if your significant other blows into your vagina...otherwise, oral sex, and sex in general, are safe unless advised otherwise by your doctor.
Thanks for everyone's replies. I just learned my HCG level from Monday and this am indicated the miscarriage already began before last night, and the bleeding happened during the night after sex last night. So, the point is hopefully the oral sex had nothing to do with it, though maybe it jump-started the bleeding a little sooner. In the future I will not have any sex during the first trimester to avoid any possible risks for miscarriage, but I feel better knowing this miscarriage probably already was happening before last night. I am sad about the miscarriage as this is the 3rd one, but I will try again. Thanks and good luck to you all.
some women who are on strict bedrest ( I was on moderate bedrest before for 2 different pg) cannot have sex, even orgasms b/c of the contractions it causes. Now I'm not sure what problems you have to have in order for the dr to tell you not to do this, but in a normal healthy pg it will not cause miscarriage. You're having the bleeding from a different reason probably and you should definitely check up with your dr about this one.
After two mc, I was told by my doctor complete pelvic rest, which means no sex, for the first trimester.  So only 3 wks to go, and so far no bleeding.  So weather it is helping or not I don't know but it really is hard, worse for him then me though.  But he is a very patient man.
My husband and I were 20 weeks into pregnancy.  Every time we had sex and I had an orgasm, I would get mild contractions and sometimes some very painful cramps.  One weekend we were very sexually active and then I started bleeding.  We got checked, the baby was fine..but the bleeding didn't stop.  3 days later we miscarried and I completely  hemorrhaged.  Needless to say, we were both devastated.  We will try again real soon and luckily for us, we got pregnant real easy.  But I wouldn't be comfortable telling anyone that orgasms do not cause miscarriage, because I believe in some situations it can.
Did you by any chance get checked for incompetent cervix?  I don't know much about your situation, but the timing in which you miscarried is the peak time for the cervix to open.  The orgasm could have stimulated contractions and caused the cervix to open further.  Just a thought, because I would hate to see you go through such a late miscarriage again if it is something that could be prevented.  Good luck to you and I am so sorry for you loss.
is it okay to for me to receive oral sex from my husband.  i just had a miscarriage about 2wks ago
this just happen to me this past weekend. I miscarried after this experience. I can't help but think it does cause miscarriages. I was doing fine up till this moment.
because of the air thing??