Maternal & Child Community
can taking clomid while just pregnant harm my baby

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

hi just wondering if anyone knows anything about taking clomid while pregnant.
i have just finished clomid cycle one and started taking cycle two.
I saw my doctor on Friday, he confirmed that i did ovulate during cycle no 1, but said because i had got my period that i was not pregnant, and therefore continue on with cycle no2.
The problem is that my period was way lighter than normal ( almost 50%lighter). I did mention this to the doc, and he said not to worry cause things may not be normal due to the added hormones. Since seeing a doctor i have spoke to a friend who said be careful that your not really pregnant because she still had 2 periods while pregnant with her two babies.  Now i am concerned that if i am pregnant my round 2 of clomid may harm the baby.  I have done two hpt which were both negative but i dont hold much faith in them because when i was pregnant before (m/c 6w2d)  i was testing daily for 2 weeks with negative results before i got a positive u/s reevealed i was 5 weeks pg.
so now im really confused and cant wait to get a blood test because im at day 5 now and need to start clomid today.

can anyone tell me if they have heard whether clomid can harm baby in early pregnancy???
Clomid is harmful to take if you are pregnant.  My Dr. always did a pregnancy test (Blood HCG is very accurate even very early) and an ultrasound to make sure.  If your doctor tested you and is certain you are not pregnant, then it is probably ok to start.  If you are really worried, it may be worth skipping a month to be sure.  I know it is a tough decision, being so anxious to get pregnant. Baby dust to you !!!!!!!
he didnt do any tests what so eva, i know i should wait to be sure, but the waiting is driving me crazy, and i dont want to wait for nothing if im not pregnant.
It sounds to me like you had a period, so you probably aren't pregnant.  Plus, if you started your next cycle of Clomid, you should be far enough along to show a positive on a test. Your hormones are changing due to the Clomid, stress, etc.  That all affects your period.
hi all, i think everything is ok now... today is cycle day 7 for me and also day 3 in my 5 day clomid course, i awoke to find Af had visited once again, and got into a bit of a panic( thinking my clomid may be causing me to m/c again). I decided enough was enough with the waiting and the stressing so i took myself to the hospital(my doc is not available on weekends), to have a proper check up. The hospital eliminated the possiblity of pregnancy, and told me it may be just an overlap because my first show was too light.
Soooo alls good now for the time being, although a little disappointed about the neg test, relieved that i wasnt pg, so theres no possibility of problems because of the clomid no/2.
Thanks for your help and time, and now im going to concerntrate on stopping stressing!
My name is Holly. I am 20 years old. I am planning on going off the pill (i have been on it for 3 years now) in November. I hope to get pregnant right away so I can give the news to my in-laws and my parents as an xmas gift. Do people usually have problems conceiving the first few months they go off the pill? How does it work? I also want to lose weight before I have a baby. As it is I am not comfortable in my skin. If anyone has suggestions or would like to chat, please email me at butterfly_baybee2005***@**** I will respond to everyone!
Also, will you only conceive on certain days of the month? I can use as much information as I can
oh my god that is exactly what just happened to me and I'm freaking - my period started but super light and went to brown the next day, so I went to dr on day 3 to start clomid and now I'm on day 2 of clomid and one of my friends said to take the test because of how strange my period was - so I did and it says I'm pregnant, but I'm wondering if this is a false pregnant because of the clomid hormones or what - it's 11:30 pm and I dont know how I'm going to sleep tonight - I need to call the dr first thing in the morning - I'm freaking . . .
Just wondering what your outcome from 08/02/07 was.  I am due to take Clomid again (5th cycle) tomorrow but had a 'different' period this month.  It has now been 18 days since I ovulated,   A blood test should show up a pregnancy now? I feel I should take one just in case so that at least I know I cannot do harm?
hi
i'm also on clomid and a very pinky light period has started today 4 days earlier than my period is due. knowing that clomid is dangerous if you are pregnant, i'm not sure whether i should start on the next round of clomid tomorrow (my doctor has recommended that i take it on day 2 of my period)...... butterfly, are you definitely pregnant and what did your doctor say? what should i do?
sorry butterfly, i mixed you up with drysedalo to whom i mean to address my previous email. sorry butterfly......hi
i'm also on clomid and a very pinky light period has started today 4 days earlier than my period is due. knowing that clomid is dangerous if you are pregnant, i'm not sure whether i should start on the next round of clomid tomorrow (my doctor has recommended that i take it on day 2 of my period)...... drysdaledo, are you definitely pregnant and what did your doctor say? what should i do?
hi.i am on my 3rd cycle of clomid and i actually experienced the same thing u experienced.saw my periood on the 18th very light though and has since disappeared only to be spotting light brown and dark brown .I am worried cause of uncertainty of my situation and knowing fully well the harmful effects of clomid while pregnant.i had a pg test done this morning and tested negative so i am not sure if to skip the clomid or continue as i av approached day 2 of my 3rd cycle.please help me.wat should i do.so r u really pregnant?how did ur appointment go.pls i need to hear frm u to make my decision as we both av very similar condition.thank u  
Hello, i have a little bit of a different situation, i am supposed to start my 3rd cycle of clomid tomorrow but i am 4 days late getting my preiod (period). I took 2 preg tests and they both came out negative. I was going to start taking clomid again anyway but after reading the comments i guess i shouldn't. my last period was light compared to the time before. i don't know what i should do. my doctor doesn't know anything thats why he referred me to a specialist but you have to wait 3 months to get an appointment. what should i do?
ok so here's my story, i started my first cycle on 22 aug, my AF was due on 19/9/08 but nothing i finally started on 25/10/08 5 weeks late, all through those 5 weeks, i had preg symptoms i did countless tests and even a beta hcg, my level was 4, which apparalently is neither preg or not preg! but docs said iam not so took cycle 2 from day 5, which was 29/10- 2/11, now iam 11 days into my period and i still have it! now my first cycle i finished like day 7/8, so now iamconfused, does anyone think i could be preg? i dont know when to try now, we were going to do it tommorow, coz my other half is away alot we are doing AI but now iam stuck! any advice. sorry if that was confusing!!!

XXX
They say Clomid is harmful to the baby if you take it while you are pregnant.  What do they mean by harmful? What could happen to the baby?
hi, do you know anyone who have taken clomid for the first time and it works. this is my second clomid cycle and i am not even sure whats happen inside, my period only spotted and was very light and mostly none at all. can someone help me
Hi im 37 and have been TTC for over 3 years now, i have 2 months of Clomid 50mg done and 1 month of 100mg done also, and today i finish my 4th one which was 150mg of clomid. my Doctor says my bloods are fine but he keeps upping my dose. i am panicking abit because i am running out of time, i am due to have a laparoscopy done next month so hopefully that should shed some lite on it.
Do not take this medication if you are pregnant. Clomid is in the FDA pregnancy category X. This means that it is known to cause birth defects. It is not known whether Clomid pass into breast milk. Do not take Clomid without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
due to pcos, i was unable to conceive naturally. After a year of trying with no luck, I started clomid. I had a period while on my first cycle of clomid. I had a neg. pregnancy test two weeks after my period. I bought my second cycle and waited for my period to start, so I could continue to the second cycle. I was about ine week late, and had cramps. I decided to take anither test, and it was positive!! I really thought i would start my period, since I had the symptoms. I had a healthy baby girrl who is now 3. I am schocked at how fast clomid worked, considering my history of pcos. It really works so don't give up, and if you feel you are pregnant keep testing. Good luck to all