Maternal & Child Community
can you have a vaginal birth after 3 c-sections

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

see i have had 3 c-sections only because my first was an emergency, and they did not want to give me a choice of what i wanted to do, but i want to experince natural child birth can i do it???
i had a c-section too . and i will be going in for another csection. my doctor says that theres a risk and the most popular hospital in my area doesnt allow natural delieveries after csections because of recent deaths even. i really wanted to do it naturannly so bad, but i wouldnt take any risks.if you have had three csections, i really wouldnt do it if i were you.
I highly doubt you'll be able to deliver VBAC, since you had three previous c-sections its alot more risky, your uterus could rupture and it could be harmful for you and or your baby! they would be more likely to let you do a VBAC if you had one c-section and it had been a few years in between.
it is possible, however, good luck finding a doctor who will agree to monitor you.  look at the internation cesarean awareness network (ican) for more information.
three of my boys were natural and my last son was c section because he was transverse but I expressed to the doctor that I would like to have vaginal delivery and he said there should be no problem in giving birth for me because I've already popped out three before that way and he said we'll discuss it if I can make it to 35wks since the last was premature. My water had broken at 27ks but he was ok and transverse but then at 30 weeks the cord was coming down and that's the second reason for the section. My main point is -is that your body had to have had at least one prior delivery because you are at great risk of hemmoraging. You've already had three and it would be very dangerous for you to try to vbac now. Sorry, didnt mean to burst your hopes. We want and your baby well. Take care.  
i have suffered a rupture and i know how devastating it can be.  i have also suffered by never having a natural birth, when i deeply desired it.  there are risks in everything one does.  there are multiple studies showing that vbamc can be a safe option.  if this is something she deeply desires, i don't suggest that she she shut that off.  rather, that she research her options, the risks to her both for vbac after multiple c/s, and the risks of multiple c/s, because those risks increase with the number of surgeries and are serious as well, and come to a decision she is most comfortable with.  
i would add, that personally, i would not vbac after multiple c/s.  even though i would be heartbroken.  but i do know that other women have, and done so succcessfully, so i cannot make that decision for her.  
I just read my post, it didnt say what I was trying to say. I have four boys total, three were natural and because the last was with two problems they performed a c section. I am currently preggo again and hope to have a natural delivery. I'm 28 weeks and was told to wait till 35wks to discuss this.  Sorry, I hope that clears up what I was trying to say.
If you had 3 natural and then one c-section. I think you would be a good a candidate for a VBAC as long as you have a doctor and a hospital willing..... there must be a doc, and anesthesia immediately available while you are in labor. What were the problems that caused your previous c-section.
Original poster- I misread you have had 3 c-sections, normally docs will only consider VBAC after one c-section.

Going on five kids, I read yours as last post and you would be a good canidate considering your last birth. Hopefully you make it to term. Good luck!
Jamie,  I've had 3 c-sections, because I have a narrow pelvis,  and I understand how you feel.  

When my first was born,  I had this feeling of incompetence,  but also gratitude - because had I been living 100 years ago,  I would be dead from a birth complication.

I decided to become a volunteer labor coach at our city hospital because I was really driven to see it done "right".  I just wanted to be there,  to experience the normal vaginal birth process and be a part of it.  

It helped a lot.  What also helped was how certain my doctor was - after the first C-section,  he had a word with my husband and said in the future,  if I moved away or switched doctors,  and he wasn't around to advise me,  do NOT let me even consider for a moment a V-bac.  This is a progressive doctor,  very caring and compassionate,  but his absolute certainty that a Vbac in my case was a mistake was helpful in my getting over it.

Best wishes.   I really feel very strongly that you shouldn't attempt this, but rather,  try to find another way to channel your frustration.