can you still ovulate if you dont bleed each month
i was wandering if it is still possible to ovulate if you dont get your period? if so how does that happen? thank you for listening
You cannot ovulate if you do not have a period.  A period/ovulation is defined as releasing an egg from you ovary, which can then be fertilized.  If you don't release an egg, you don't ovulate.
I did not think that was completely true about not ovulating if you are not bleeding.  What about breastfeeding mothers who do not get periods for a while but have still ended up getting pg???  I thought my dr said I could still ovulate while breastfeeding although I think it may be rare.   Does breastfeeding do something different to your body where you can still ovulate without bleeding???  I am not trying to say you are incorrect I was just wondering.  Thanks   Take Care
well, i know that i was told by someone cant remember who could have been doctor but not sure that just because u dont bleed doesnt mean u dont ovulate. itis just i have all the signs and symtoms of being pregnant but havent bled for a year
i thought her question said 'can you ovulate if you don't have a period'.  if you don't release an egg, you have nothing to ovulate. lactating moms do continue releasing eggs, so they can.
i had blood tests done and all my hormones etc are working properly and are at the right levels i just dont actually bleed at the end of each month
Found this online: The one important exception to the rule that no period equals no ovulation comes when fertility resumes after giving birth. Other than post pregnancy, no period equals no ovulation.
Well, I'm don't want to get into the technicalities of her wording, but for me, I recently went through a phase where I had no period, but still got pregnant.  Last period: August 31.  And now I am 8 weeks pregnant (15 Dec 04) so tha'ts almost two months with no period. I have no idea if I ovulated or not during those two months, because I didn't have my period.  Although it seems to me that ovulation must be followed by a period if the egg isn't fertilized, the female reproductive system can do some pretty strange, unexplicable things, so I wouldn't write anything off.
From what I've read, when you ovulate, you most likely will get your period about 14 days after. The length of time from when you had your last period until the time you ovulate, can vary greatly from person to person, but almost everyone will get their period within 14 days after ovulation. Of course, if you have sex when you ovulated, you wouldn't get your period in 14 days, you would be pregnant! That being said, it is possible to ovulate after a baby's birth, a miscarriage, or while breastfeeding, even if you have not had a period, but if your egg is not fertilized you will get your period in about 2 weeks.

To make things more confusing it is possible to bleed with out ovulating. It is called anovulatory bleeding. This happens when the lining of your uterus keeps building and building for many days, usually 35 day long cycles or more, and then your hormones levels finally drop and you bleed, but you never did ovulate.

Sarah, do you know why you are not getting your period? What makes you think you might have ovulated? When was your last period? Do you think you might be pregnant?
1) Even if you have not had a period (bleeding) in a while, you CAN spontaneously ovulate, which, if the egg is then fertilized, you can get pregnant.  However, if the uterine lining has been building up for a long time without being "refreshed" by regular bleeding, sometimes implantation doesn't occur/is more uncertain.

2) Since (in a "regular" cycle) ovulation occurs before bleeding, you can ovulate post-birth, and be fertile, BEFORE you ever have a period.
let's just say it this way.....if you have unprotected sex and still have all your plumbing there is a possibility that you CAN get pg.

i think we all probably know someone that got pg without having a period...i know i know 2 people like that.
~nanci
when u were pergnant for those 2 months did u take any pregnancy test, and how soon did u find out u were pregnant
can you have a period and not have ovulated???
um, like this post is 2 1/2 years old!!
how long after going through a ZIFT (IVF) does it take for implantation?  And please don't tell me anything about DPO because I do not ovulate.  Please respond to htis only if you know the answer.  I would like to really know I JUST WENT THROUGH ZIFT PTOCESS.
Please forgive the mispelling of this and process, I didn't see it until after the mesage posted.  I am still waiting for someone to answer this question because I really want to know.
I can't answer your question, because I'm not a versed doctor.  I can tell you about my sistuation though.  My last period was June 13-16.  I had some light spotting July 9 only.  Therefore I haven't had my period in almost 2 months. I have been looking into conception, pregnancy, ovulation etc. since then and alot of what I have read has shown me when to calculate ovulation.  I began to ovulate yesterday.  No period. Now ovulating.  It depends on your history and where you are calculating from.  From the books I've read and the researching I've done you can not have had your period and then ovulate. However if you ovulate and then don't get your period you are pregnant.
I had my baby 5 weeks ago and now Im on my period i had sex with my boyfriend without a condom could i be pregnant?
yes you can be pregnant.I got pregnant 2 weeks after i had my son and now my boys are 9 and a half months apart.
i have pcos and i only get my period like 3 times a year i havent had it sence feb. is there any way i can get pregnant me and my b/f really want a child and dont know what to do
I had my uterus removed. And I was wondering do you still ovulate.  
my sister got her period every 2 or 3 months and she had her period one month and the other month she was pregnant.. i know wnow for sure if you still can ovulate with out your period but she got pregnant!!!
how would you know if your ovulating if you don't have your period on a monthly basis? i mean, i haven't had my period since february, and i truly question whether or not i am fertile. would the gyn be able to tell you?
If you were on depo and stopped when u were suppose to retake and haven't had a period. Can u ovulate during that time and can u still get pregant without a period???
can I get pregant I havent had a period since october 9 2007 and it is now febuary 21 2008 do I ovulate?
im 18 and havent had my period since october 12 2007. no spotting, no nothing since then. i know im not pregnant, but could i be, senseing that i dont have a period?
had 6 chemo treatments and havnt had my period for 5 months,  do I still ovulate to get pregnant?
what can make you stop ovulating?
My sister has never had her period - she is now 26 with a son :)
Even though she never bled, she still was ovulating and therefore got pregnant. She had a comprehensive work up at 15 and everything was normal. NOTE: you can ovulate and get pg w/o bleeding.
look, ladies, the quick answer is yes, you can still release an egg without having a period.  normally you release an egg, and if it isn't fertilized, the lining sheds and starts over again.  this is all controlled by hormones.  if you are not shedding the lining, something may be wrong with your hormones or scarring on your uterus, or it may be normal, but only a doctor can decide.  you can probably still become pregnant but you may have to have some pills (thyroid pills or hormone pills) to get your cycles regular again, or light surgery to remove scarring of the uterus, if that is the case.  The internet is full of misstatements so make an appt with your doc.
PS  There are tests to see if your LH (luteinizing hormone) rises each month to tell your body to release an egg.  Buy an ovulation detector kit ($14 or more) at the pharmacy and it will tell you how to use it.  Doesn't always work, but usually does.  You only ovulate one day a month, usually 14 days after your period starts, give or take a few days.
Im not sure if you are still trying but I only get my period 3-4 times a year and tried for 8 years to get pregnant... I was told it was going to be hard because I was not ovulating regularly, so I gave up.  2 and a half years after I gave up I found out I was pregnant, now I have a perfect baby boy who will be a year old this summer.  So never give up, if you have all of the parts, you CAN have your desired child.  Just relax and forget about trying, just enjoy your sex life and you may get the wonderful surprise I did :)  Good luck.
hi i ovulate every month but only get a bleed every 2 or 3 months,i came of femulen to try for another baby,my docter thinks i have post pill amenehea(not sure how thats spelt)and that it is posible to ovulate regularly without a bleed,i get all the sympums of a period the achy muscles,stomach ache feeling moody just not the bleed,the docters told me it shouldnt effect me concieving,i also had a scan of my womb and overies and blood tests which comfirm that i do ovulate,i do ovulation tests every month so i know when this is happening,i also take my body temperature each morning,and keep a chart
hope this helps
hope this helps
that's bull crap I was on metformin for 2 weeks I ovulated first and then got a period after not having a period for 5 years. My doctor said some woman will ovulate several times before they get there period.
Most of these comments are incorrect, I use an ovulation tool each month, and have ovulated but not bled and I'm not pregnant. So the answer is yes you can. Also my mother only bled every three months but was still ovulating every month and that is how she got pregnant with me and didn't know until three months because not bleeding was normal for her. It happens.