can your water break and no contractions?
I have a question for anyone with experience.  I have had discharge now for a few weeks and tehy have been monitoring me real closely.  But today I had soaked panties and a circle of wet on my shorts too.  At first I thought it was sweat but then realized it was only in the crotch area.  I am wondering.  Should it look or smell weird if it is my waters?  Should I be having contractions?  Is it safe to wait till tomorrow am to go to doc becuase I hate the idea of going to hospital on a sunday?  Should I wait and see if contractions start?  Baby is still moving.  But I think wow if she stops moving it is probably too late
any one with experience thanks
Call your doctor now.  You could have a leak, or maybe you will be starting contractions soon.  Nevertheless, you need to call your doctor and tell him what is going on, no matter if it is Sunday or Monday...on a more humorous note, I thought my water had broken and I called my doc, turned out I had a weak bladder!  Good luck and call your doc...
when my water broke it wasn't a drip-someone turned on the faucet and you can't turn it off--i didn't have any contractions and as i was scheduled for a c-section 3 days later they did section that nite--but what your describing doesn't sound like water breaking--i hope you did like others advised and went to hospital.
if you suspect that your waters have broke or there is a tear go to the ER. there is nothing wrong or bad....just after 24 hrs there is a higher risk of infection to the baby and so getting checked out immediately is important. i am sure you and your baby are fine and it is normal to not have contractions right away or have them be painful enough to notice. with my son i never had any pain or drugs and if he hadn't come out i would have never known i was in labor. if you feel like you might be leaking see the doc in the ER to make sure no infection sets in. good luck!!!!!

love....kimmie
Hi, Hon if you thinjk your water broke, or if you even suspect there is a tear you need to go straight to the hospital..call you doctor first and let them know you are coming. Sometimes a wierd smell, or coloring could mean the baby has passed meconium  (baby poo) which means they will likely want to progress you into labor, as it is not healthy for the baby th be left in this. It could also mean an infection, but either way (or even if there is nothing wrong :D) you should seek medical help, your baby is more important than making your doctor come in...remember he/she is a doctor for a reason....they don't have day's off. Take care and good luck!! I'll be praying for you and your family!
thanks
doc said same about the gush - he is watching my fluid levels anyway - so we'll see what he says today
he told me last week that I might go at any time - I was just worried with  no contractions
Ill keep you posted after doc appt
thanks
I did have a leak with my first baby and it wasn't a gush or anything. The doctor told me that it should smell almost sweet, not like urine or normal discharge, in case you want to check- and it should be clear, if all is well. But go get checked just the same. How many weeks are you?

I got up this morning to pee, and after I was done a gush ( it feelt like a pop sort of inside me) of liquid came out. I wasnt sure if it was more urine so I just got up. Ive had trickles since then. It is clear, with no fowel smell. But Im not having contractions? How long untill I do? Ive already called my dr. and she said to relax and once I do have a contraction, head to the hospital. But now Im starting to wonder if it really was my water breaking. Its been about an hour an a half since it happened.
My water broken at home and I did not realise that it has broken .and my baby was 42weeks, after doing c-section and the baby came alive within short time he gave up the ghost. so I want to know the cause, is it breaking of water or respiratory problem.
I was just in kroger shopping for my baby shower and i went to go pee and as i stood up some liquid came down i didnt have any contractions and when i smelled it it smelled like pee so should i be scared i always thought when ur water broke it had a distinctive look n smell

love jessica
my water did break without contractions so it CAN happen! it was a *pop* and then small gush. not a lot of water, but nonetheless. about an hour later there was another *pop*-gush. the midwife came and checked the pad. it was a bit brown (sign of meconium) and then she took some fresh water from me and it was sure enough green-ish (another sign). i had had no contractions so had to go to the hospital right away to monitor the baby. i found out there i was not effaced at all or anything! i spent 24 hours with hormones on my cervix to soften it and then had to be induced and spent another 12 hours in active labor. induction is NOT fun, btw :-)
so yes, you can break your water without contractions. call your doctor or midwife and let them know what's happening.
with my first child i was 37 weeks and my water broke in my sleep at 5:00 in the morning i thought i had peed to bed but it was a lot and it just kept comming out when i stood up to go to the bathroom,but i didnt start having contactions till like and hour or so later........and gave birth 4 hours after my water broke.......
My water was broke for 4 days and they help on the fourt day to deliver because i had 40 degree fever.After the deverly the give me antibolitica to prevent infection my daugther 3 days in inqubator now she is nearl 4 and having alot of problem. My question is do u guys thing because the doctors help me late make all this is happing to my chid. Problem walk at age 2 not walking good as yet having problems with eyes not peacking fluent cant concentrate on one thing for long.
My water broke a day before 40th week.  We were a couple hours from hospital and thought "oh no we'll never make it".  I didn't notice any contractions until 4 hours later...baby girl was great and everything went smoothly.  It was very strange though b/c my dh and I both thought once my water broke contractions would start!
My water broke at 33 weeks to the day i had no contractions they held me off until 34 weeks wen they gave me the pitocin and everything to start my labor they gave me an antibiotic the whole week tho that way the baby and i wouldnt get an infection
Hi everyone,,
Im 37 weeks pregnant and I want to know if my water breaks and I do not notice it,and I do not get any contractions is it safe for the baby to stay there for like a day or am i going to get contractions as soon as the water breaks?
I would never tell someone not to contact their provider when in doubt, but in general, your baby is just fine with water broken, as long as:

NOTHING is inserted into the vagina, regardless of how sterile said item may be.
Mother continues to hydrate, at least 8oz 8x a day
Baby continues to move normally
Water is clear, and has no foul oder
Mother has no fever - (check your temp hourly)

The biggest danger coming from your water breaking, is the introduction of bacteria which get shoved up toward your cervix with every vaginal exam. So if you do go to the hospital, and are having hourly checks, you're increasing your risk hourly - no wonder hospitals put a timer on women when our water breaks.
my water just broke diz morning and it didnt have an smell....and it was a lot of water coming out.it happeed twice .....by the way i didnt start having contractios right away..my water broke around 4 am and i started having contractions untill 10am
my water has not broken yet im not due for another month but i want to know if my water breaks and i wait for two or three days before going to the hospital will the baby die?
To answer your question you have 24 hours after your water breaks to give birth due to the risk of infection or other issues that could lead up to death. So ultimately, I would say yes it is possible. I had the experience that once we hit that 24 hour mark (I ended up with an emergency c section  6 1/2 hours after the 24 hour mark) due to both me and the baby being in distress. So not only could it hurt baby, but could hurt you as well. This is a great question which normally would be passed over due to being attached to such an old post. If you have any other questions, it would be great to have you make a new post. Welcome to the group!