Maternal & Child Community
cerclage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

cerclage

hi... a bit of hx... 2001 loss at 24 weeks due to PTL and possible IC... 2003... SCH at 11 weeks resoved in 1 week, PTL at 23 wks and 31 wks, lots bed rest and terbutaline, and have a 4 yr old healthy son... the second time (2003) I was watched like a hawk due to my previous loss, and during the weekly US funneling was observed at 4-16 week mark, and hence the bedrest.

Now, SCH at 6 weeks, 1 cm... one time a little red, but then for the past 2 weeks just brown, more in the morning and only when I wipe the rest of the days, but it's been peristant... also, on 25mg progesterone suppositories (level 10.4 at 6 weeks). TV US done at 6w4day and at 7wk and they both showed the SCH but a normal fetal pole and normal heartbeat. I am now 8w4days, and still the brown persists. My OB is recommending cerclage, and states due to my hx I have a 50/50 chance of carrying to term...

Should funneling be observed again before cerclage or just do the procedure? PTL was definitive, as I seem to go into contractions around 20+ weeks, starting at about 1 every 15 min or so, but persistent, and terbutaline subsides them... I am scared of cerclage given that it could puncture anmiotic sack, PTL, infection and all the other risks... Thanking you ladies in advance for your time...
Adriana
I had a cerclage placed at 12 weeks due to IC. I am 37 weeks and 4 days. It was great! I know I wouldnt have made it without it! The surgery to put it in only took 20 minutes. I had spotting for that day only. I never even knew it was there and never had another problem. Most people do get put on bed rest. I worked until week 19 then I was put on bed rest. I had the cerclage removed this past Friday and that wasnt bad at all. They actually remove right at the doctors office most of the time. I'd say go for it, but its your body. If you have any questions let me know. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
I had an emergency cerclage done at 21 weeks due to IC.  I was also funnelling.  Today I have a healthy 4 month old baby girl.  My labor actually started when they removed my cerclage at 37 weeks.  As my OB explained it, a cerclage can only keep the cervix closed.  It cannot prevent PTL.  In that event, the cerclage will have to be removed immediately.  The procedure to insert the cerclage is quick and painless and you never notice it's there.  To bring a healthy baby into the world.... there was no other choice for me. I wish you luck with whatever you decide :)  
I was on bedrest from about 17 weeks on and had an emergency cerclage put in at 22 weeks.  I was then able to resume almost all normal activities besides orgasm and heavy lifting and being on my feet too long.  It was a great experience and I know ny DD wouldn'tbe here if I didn't have it.
Good luck!!
I am so scared of all the risks involved, but it does look like I will go through with it... Did you have any complications? weird discharge or anything like that? also, I assume no sex (any no "anything" that would cause orgasm)?? Thanks for repying :)
i as well had a cerclage put in at 19 wks and was put on bed rest. i had the same feelings that you are going threw i didnt get much time to think to much about what to do, i just new of what could happen just think about what is best for your unborn child. when the dr told me i went in that same night and was ammitted into the hospital due to funneling and contrations and thin cervix. today i am 37wks and 3 days i had my stitch taken out at 36wks
i had infections but they also put you on pills to prevent it  from happening i think i had 3 infections. i was on complete bed rest and no sex alowed. its all worth it in the end you have a healthy baby.
im glad to say now that i did it because no one thought id make it this far.
hope all goes well with you, keep me posted on what happens.. good luck
ksanden
I never had any side effects or infections from the cerclage. When they removed it I actually had them show it to me because everything went so well that it was hard for me to believe iot was there. Good luck, keep us posted!
I started contractions at 12 weeks.  I started shortening at 16.5 weeks and then by 18 weeks I was 100% effaced and funnelling so I had an emergency cerclage placed.  I was told I'd be lucky to make it to 24 weeks.  After cerclage I was put on mag.sulfate for contractions for 24 hours (which sucked).  Then for the rest of the pregnancy I was on full bedrest, terbutaline, and procardia but still contracted every 5-10 minutes until delivery at 34w5d.  I had one instance while I was still in the hospital, post cerclage, where I had a spot (literally) of blood, but that was it...no other discharge at all from it.  Of course, no sex but.....we lived.

I would definitely recommend it if you're doctor is worried.

God Bless,

Nicki