Maternal & Child Community
cesarean section at 37 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

cesarean section at 37 weeks

is it safe for me and my baby to have a cesarean section at 37 weeks. my doctor suggests that i have it at 37weeks because he is travelling out of town. i have had cesarean section twice and this will be the third time. please advice if it safe for my baby.  Thanks. Theckie
If there is a risk for you to have the baby naturally and there will be no doctor there to give you a c section instead then it would be ok. If the only reason is so that he will do the delivery then I would advise getting someone else to do it closer to your due date. His convenience is not all that counts and bub can do with all the time in the womb it can get. Good Luck
I agree with tan2girls. You should only have a csection if its medically necassary not because of the doctors convenience. doesnt he have a doctor that does deliveries when hes not there? With my first daughter my doctor wasnt even the one to deliver her it was the doctor that was on call when I went to the hospital. But no I dont think it woud be a huge risk to your baby but I think its a bad reason for a csection. And what if theyre a week or more off with your due date and your not quite as far as they think. then your baby could be a preemie and all because your doctor wouldnt be in town on your due date.
i think with 2 previous c-secs, it is wise to have a third. however, by scheduling you at 37 weeks, he is going against standard medical recommendations. Just in the past year a lot of attention has come to the risks of scheduling delivery before 39 weeks. The chances of complications with the baby such as breathing problems, feeding issues, infection, etc... increases dramatically in scheduled c-sections that early. I actually think it's pretty irresponsible of your doctor. I suggest you get to know his covering dr and request to have your section at a more appropriate date.
i think anytime a person is induced or sched a c section for  this reason is wrong.  tell your dr you will wait till the baby is ready and if he isnt around, well that isnt your problem.  he has dr's on call for him.  congrats!  
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/07/c.section/index.html

http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20090107/early-planned-c-sections-put-baby-at-risk

Just 2 links that describe the compelling study released in January of last year, I'm sure you could find hundreds more.
I had my son at 37 wks (my water broke)  He did have breathing problems at first and spent 12 hrs in the NICU.   Personally I would not have my baby at 37 wks due to the Dr's convenience.
My section was done at 37 weeks, due to some slight medical complications with me. I was taken into hospital at 36 weeks 2 days for monitoring and bed rest. My doc did an amnio to check my baby's lung function was okay before scheduling my c section. My baby was healthy but did have a couple of days in the special baby care unit due to low blood sugars and nursing was very difficult for the first few weeks. If you can wait another week or two there would be less chance of some of these type of issues following the birth