Maternal & Child Community
chances of getting pregnant with thyroid problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

The thyroid forum is full! AHHH!
I have been on meds to treat my hypothyroidism for about 6yrs and with normal adjustments of doseage over the years I have been fine.  Until now. I have been showing signs of being both hypo and hyper.  My TSH is 0.08 which is very low for hypo and I am confused if it is low or high for hyper. My dr. wrote Thyroiditis on my bloodwork results (what ever that means) I will be getting an ultrasound done on my thyroid and will be seeing an endochronologist as well to figure something out. My question is that my DH and I have been TTC for 5 months now and I am supposing that we haven't conceived as a result of my thyroid.  It hasn't effected AF and I have been 29days everymonths for the past 6months, I am supposed to O next weekend. Should I even get my hopes up and try to BD next weekend or are the odds stacked up against me?  I wish I could post this on THYROID forum but hopefully someone can help!  Thanks
I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and I have gotten pregnant.Actually I am 14 weeks along now and doing good.Last I had it checked it was high(meaning low)so my Dr is really watching it but other than that everything is fine.I tried for 1 1/2 years to get pg with this last pregnancy and discovered that I just was not BDing at the right time.Have you tried temping or using OPK's?I got pg using an OPK before.They work great.Good luck and I hope you get your BFP soon!!!
I haven't tried temping yet but have done the OPK.  I think I could have been trying at the wrong time.  I as supposed to O next Sunday so should DH and I BD Fri, Sat , Sun and Mon.? Does it help or hurt our chances if we BD 2x's on Sunday?  Thanks for the help!
Yes,that sounds right about Bding on those days but are you positive you are going to O that day?Alot of women that are ttcing think they O on a certain day or am Oing and they really O late or early instead.I would try using an OPK again or start temping so you know if you are really Oing.Try going to www.tryingtoconceive.com they have alot of great info.Click on TTC FAQS.It is a good idea to BD 2x the day of O but make sure you are really Oing first.I'm here if you have anymore qusetions.I am not a doctor but I have learned alot through my TTC experience.Good luck and tons of baby dust!!!!
Thank you soooo much for the help and for all the babydust!
I will start temping tomorrow and get a OPK to help as well!
Thanks again!
same here fluctuating thyroid levels have had 2 pregnancys within the year my daughter was born june 2005 got another due june 2006 as you can see i did not have any problems i was actually on birth control good luck
I told my Dr. yesterday that I might as well forget the BDing I had planned for next weekend...but now after all your advice I won't give up hope!  Thank you!
Don't give up hope!!Just BD like crazy and if you do get your BFP just have your DR watch your Thyroid closely.Take care and good luck!!I'll send you tons of baby dust!~~~~~*******
I have hypothyroidism as well, with lots of fluctuations (I think thyroiditis means that your thyroid is irritated or inflamed, which can cause fluctuations).  I could not get pregnant for six months while my TSH was in the 7.5-5.5 range and then when it dropped down to 1.72 I got pregnant immediately.  I have read that a TSH between 1 and 3 is the best for getting pregnant, but I have heard of lots of people having healthy pregnancies outside this range.  All I know is that 1.72 worked for me!
Hi, i have hyerthyrodism.  So your telling me that I have raise my tsh in order to get pregnant!  I am curious i just found out.  I have 6 miscarriages and never have been able to carry past five weeks.  Does it sound right what they have dignosed me with.
After reading all the post I am so stressed. Me and my husband are talking about having a baby in Dec 2008 and I am hypo. It makes me so sad to think that I can't have a baby. I know I have not started yet but I'm stressed. I have been on the same dose for about a year. I just moved and I am looking for a new Dr. Im so scared and have no one to talk to that understands. I want to know that I can have a baby.
hey...  i am hypo also.  i found out when my 2nd dd was about 7 months old...  and i have had 2 more children since then.  
I have Hashimoto's (hypo) and I got "suprise" pregnant twice!!! The first time my TSH was 3.7 and this past time it was actually 5 (too high, actively hypo) and there were no issues. I had to increase my synthorid 2x throughout the pregnancy and it was fine. Now, 6m pp my TSH was a bit low (.04) so then dropped me back down to my pre-preg dose.

Having a thyroid issue in NO way means you are not fertile. Just make sure your endo is up to date on the current info regarding pregnancy and thyroid issues.
I M hypo and we have been ttc for over a year with no luck however there is hope my sister in law is also hypo and her 4th  little boy just turned one. It can happen we just need a little patients and  to relax a little some time we can try to hard but it will happen. Good luck
Hi, I just stumbled upon this page, and thought i'd comment :) Just wanted to say that having a thyroid problem does NOT make you infertile. You can have a baby, it just may take a little longer. For starts it takes a great doctor. My story is... when I was a teen+ I never had cycles, I knew something was wrong, but didn't ask the doctor until after years of trying to conceive. When I went I found out that I had hypothyroidism and my doctors exact words was it's fixable but don't expect to have a baby anytime soon. Then she started me on meds the next day. I got the conception thing out of my head because she said it would take a while and didn't want to drive myself crazy lol SO I went back to the doctor a couple weeks later and found out I WAS PREGNANT. I asked how so soon, and she said she just happened to get my dosage of meds spot on. I was so excited :D I had a rough pregnancy, but I now have my 18 month old daughter. So don't give up, it's 100% possible. Just keep BDcing :D Hope this helps!