Maternal & Child Community
changing diaper

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

changing diaper

okay so my 6 month old is trying to take his diaper off as i am getting him ready for bath or dressing him up after...also, when i change his diaper he turns on his belly..i put him back on his back and say no in a firm voice...i dont yell at him but he looks at me laughs or smiles and turns over..my mom says i should just give him a little slap on his hand and say no or on his bum..i dont want to hurt him or make him cry cause i had control over him....like i dont want him to feel that I am weakening his person because I choose to weaken him by hurting him...like i was smacked as a kid...if i bit, i was bit back and stopped, if i slapped i was slapped back and if i did anything dangerous i was slapped..but yet again if i did something wrong i was often used the belt on and to this day i am terrified of a belt...i dont know what to do..any ideas?
i would not smack a 6 mnth old child.  they dont understand actions like that. i would just try talking to him or giving him a toy while changing him.  something to keep his mind off of it.
You don't ever hit a baby. Give him a toy while changing him, save something special to use only at diaper time.
ive tried the toys...i dont agree with hitting a child..even though here the law states that you can i guess hit your child but with reasonable force...but...what is reasonable force..i want to raise him to treat him the way i myself want to be treated and vice versa...i dont agree with hitting hence why I thought of asking some different ideas from you ladies...:) I've tried the toy ive tried a blanket, ive tried taking things away that are around...and then i tried the firm no...and refraining him, ive tried talking to him while im changing his diaper...i dont want to fear him because i feel it might become an issue for later in potty training..he may not feel comfortable...
You should never hit your baby.  This is a normal behavior for a 6 month old.  I agree with trying to use a toy as a distraction...I do this with my baby, who is almost 7 months old.  She recently started getting squirmy during diaper changes, and often pulls at her diaper, trying to take it off.  I try to be quick about the diaper change and I talk to her and tell her what I'm doing.  Also, if you are using a changing table, then you might want to start changing him on the floor.  It is much safer if he squirms too much.
Get faster at diaper changes.
i already change his diaperon the floor whenhe was small, i used to do it in his crib of course with a change pad...i still do, i always carry an extra blanket and change pad for in the mall IF i have to change him there, if i have the choice i will not.. but i change him on the floor and i open his diaper before i even undress him as well as get wipes ready and everything or a faceclothe depending...i do change it pretty quick and he still does it...its becoming an issue because it has been happening for a month or so now..
I am not a huge supporter of spanking, personally.  However, there is a HUGE difference between spanking a child and spanking a baby.  I don't believe that a baby should EVER be spanked.  They have no idea that what they are doing is "wrong" which in this case, its a completely normal phase.  I feel that if you were to spank a baby, it would purely be out of your own frustration, which is the wrong reason to spank.  This is just my opinion.
okay please anyone where did i ever say i WANTED to spank my child..i am telling you i dont ever want to lay a hand on my children..i think hitting yourchild is a form of control over them because you dont know what else to do..im looking for other ideas...
My son does this too. I can finish up the diaper change as he's squirming or twisting around, if needed. I never considered it a behavior that needed to be corrected though.
Are you serious? You say you don't want to spank, yet you quote the spanking laws in your state and try to justify it by saying you were spanked as a child. Do me a favor...call a social worker or your local CPS office and ask them exactly what reasonable force is involved with HITTING a 6 MONTH old infant because he squirms during a diaper change.

I agree, get faster at changing the diaper or give him a distraction while changing him. It only gets harder as they get bigger and stronger, you learn to adapt WITHOUT hitting them.
hello...im a child and youth worker i have worked with the local cps..here its childrens aid society here...a cyw is exactly like a social worker but we work with children teens n families yet remind me why with knowing everything i know how i want to hurt my child..i guess i will have to adapt...i thought there was something that could be done WITHOUT  hitting him...as u see i said child not baby...i dont agree with it but thank you for making me feel like a real horrible mother for asking a question...when im the one thatds never hit him...thanks alot
I don't think anyone is trying to make you feel like a horrible mother.  I was just expressing my feeling in regards to spanking, since you brought it up in your question.  

One thing that works for me, is tickling my baby.  She LOVES to be tickled on her tummy and her little feet.  If I do that while changing her, she is too busy laughing to wiggle around.
You have been given good advice that is why it baffled me as to why you posted the laws about it being okay to hit your child with "reasonable force"

As a Child Youth Worker you must realize how ridiculous it is to even contemplate hitting your infant for any reason.

Obviously on some level you have thought about doing this otherwise you would not have gone to the trouble of posting what you did. Once you start hitting it doesn't stop, you will find ways to justify it at every turn. It is a vicious cycle and it is best to not open the door to it.
Houseofgirls-I sing/sang to my boys and play peekaboo. The toys have also worked, I keep a basket of special toys in the changing table for them.
Exactly...finding things that your baby likes is what helps during diaper changes.  Also, since I have my 3 year old, she helps me distract her baby sister too.  All it takes is her talking in her little mousy voice, and the baby is all smiles!  
A cyw sounds like an interesting career.  Do you have to actually be a high school graduate, or is that optional?
house-good though ds as well loves to be tickled...i will try it..

andi-maybe you should read what i said again..i said i didnt agree even though the law etc...also if you read everything havent i justified exactly why i dont want to hit him...ive asked a few friends and they first said the spanking too..i figured maybe-not knowing everyone her that someone would end up suggesting it but that in facvt i wanted to stay away from it..i was hit as a child,,,i promised myself that when i had kids i would not lay a hand on them just because...or at all..
Did I mention that my 3 year old is NOT completely potty trained yet?!  She may not wiggle around anymore when I change her, but she is so big now, it is even more difficult to change her.
you are in the states though right? kids start school at 5 here cameron will be a few days of being 4 when he starts making us canadians rush em lol
i meant a few days shy of being 4 he will be 3 startung school//
My son isn't quite that age yet so I don't know how difficult it gets but he does pull his legs up to his chest and I feel like I'm in a wrestling match with him trying to get them down.  Maybe you should try the peek a boo idea, this way your ds has to look at your face and won't try to turn over.
i like that thank you
I thought i was the only one - litte ryan at 9 months rolls so much it is so hard to put the diaper on and he cries - it is the bitting that I want to get under control i also say no but he don't understand
bitting is one thing..i think too if you let them chew on your fingers as they are teething it kind of gives them the okay later on as they bite because its no longer chewing because they have teeth:S
I have to agree that hitting a six month old would not do any good anyways (I am not saying that you wanted to do this tho just that it doesn't make any sense to do).  They will not understand the meaning behind it.  A firm "No, No" should get the message across better.  I would try a favorite (or new) toy though.  Their attention span is so short it is hard for them to stay still for long!!!  I feel for you but you will work it out!!
thank you...he seemed better this evening which is good..
My son is the same way, as soon as the diaper is off - he takes off. I have found that giving him things that he does not normally get, like the diaper cream tube, lotion bottle, gas drops (all of which are sealed) and it distracts him enough to change him. He loves the phone and will press all the numbers to watch them light up.

PS - you know that you will never hit/smack your baby - dont let people make you feel bad about questioning it. It is not right and you know that, that is all that matters. God's speed