Maternal & Child Community
children close in age

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

children close in age

I would like some different opinions on age spacing between kids, my dh would like to have another baby soon, we already have 2 kids 2 1/2 yr old and a 2 month old.  his theory is to let nature take its course, and if it happens it was meant to happen(i am still nursing and have not had a pp af yet).

he has a great job, and I graduate in December with RN, we have a great home, I would love another child.

but how much harder is it going to 3 kids?  is having them so close in age a problem or a start to a great friendship?

I know from the medical stand point that I want to give my body some time to heal and get back to normal
All my neighbors and cousins have told me it's a bigger adjustment to go from 1 to 2, then it is from 2 to 3 kids. Now I have no experience because I'm only pregnant with baby 1 but that is what I have been told. My cousin has a 1 1/2 year old and a 1 month old, and the 1 1/2 year old loves her baby brother and helps with as much as she can. she likes to be mommy, I'm not sure if thats how your 2 1/2 year old is but they can be great to help with getting diapers, throwing them in the garbage grabbing a blankie or NUK. me and my brothers are 4 years apart, and I always wish we were closer in age, my other cousin has a 5 year old son and a 3 year old daughter and they are the best of friends. I have always wanted my kids to be close in age, but we will probably wait until we have one out of diapers to have another because we will need to buy a bigger house (we are in a townhouse now) and because diapers are expensive, we probably would do better financially only having one in them. In the end it's up to you and your husband, if you think you can handle and afford it then go for it. And by the time number 3 is born your baby will be over a year so at least the first 2 would be able to play together and keep eachother entertained.
When you are ready is when its a good time, I didn't get pregnant again until a week or two before I stopped nursing and my son was a little over a year. My kids are 6,3,1 they all get along really great.
I'm pregnant with #2 and by the time I have this baby, DD will be 18 months.  I'm VERY nervous as DD loves my undivided attention.  My sister and I are 16 months apart.  Even though we fought a lot as teenagers, we are the best of friends right now and cannot go a day without talking to each other.  I do agree that you should let your body heal for at least another year or so.  My mom waited 5 years to have my brother and she says she's glad she did b/c we were already in school and she had time to enjoy being with him and spend some time with us as well.  It's truly a personal decision and I wish you good luck in whatever you decide to do.
I have 3 kids, with the oldest just turned 4. She turned 4 last week, her brother will be 2 next week, and the baby is 3 1/2 months old. I wouldn't have it any other way. they're close enough to play together, but yet understand the baby's just a baby. Plus, you get all the diapers and baby gear out of the way at once. It was very hard the 1st month adjusting, but it's all worth it. And I'm not going to say that I don't have bad days.....
I am still pregnant with #1, but I want my kids to be close in age! I would like to start trying for #2 when Max is around a year. I want 3 children and dh only wants 2, so IF we have a 3rd child, I would like that one to also be a year and a half or so behind my 2nd child.

My brother and I are 8 years apart. We get along great now (17 & 25), but when we were younger, it was like we were only kids. I entertained him and helped out alot, but we were never at the same level as far as playing toys, being involved in activities, etc. Plus, my parents had to pretty much re-buy all the baby stuff since so much time had passed between myself and my brother.  I've always wished there was another child in the family! My best friend in  high school was 1 of 7....I loved the chaos at their house! lol  And my mom now says how she really wishes that she'd have had 3 children.

I guess we'll see what happens! :) I think that after your baby gets a little bigger, you'll know what feels right for you and your family!
I agree, 1 child to 2 children is tripling your workload, but going from 2 to 3 is cake! I have 3 boys, all roughly 2.5 years apart and it has been the perfect age difference for us. I also nursed and am actually still nursing my nearly 10 month old. You eventually develop a routine and it generally goes smooth. I make sure to set time aside each day so each of the kids gets smecial mommy time without interuption from the others. We do alot together as a family, even if it is just going outside and hanging out or gong shopping. I still love the looks on people's faces when I saunter into the store with three young boys, I get lots of "Wow, you have your hands full" I just smile proudly and agree.

I am one of 8 kids, counting half and step siblings and we are all over the map. The two households I grew up in were very different. In one my older sis was 5 years older, I was in the middle and my baby brother is 5 years younger than me. That was a bit much, though my little brother and i are the closest today. In the other household, I had two older brothers, one was 9 mos older than me and the other was 3 years older than me. I was always fighting with the one closest in age to me as we were in the same grade. But i was quite close with my oldest one. I did not ever live with my older two siblings and my youngest sister passed away at birth. It seems through asking around, most agree that 2-3 years was a good age difference. But it works different for every family.

I disagree I ha dthe easiest time in the world going from 1 baby to 2 (they are just over 2 years apart), but had a really hard time going from 2 to 3 (the 2nd and the 3rd are almost exactly 2 years apart). i don't know if it had something to do with having more kid's than hands or what, but it was much harder than I expected. My sister=in-laws both say it was hardest for them changing from 2 to 3 also (1 of them has 3 the other has 5) although I have been told having more 3 is'nt really that much harder than having 3. I am currently ttc baby #4 so we will see. And don't get my wrong I loved the spacingwith my kid's and would'nt have changed it. I just did'nt realize how big a difference it would be going from having 2 to having 3.
My kids are 10 1/2 mos apart I got pregnant with my 2nd when my frist was 2mos old. they are the best of friends in the word and I would change the age differce for nothing.
I have 3 girls each 6 years apart and I love it.. they are 13 7 and 1 they are a big help to me and each other and are very close without any of the sibling rivalry that sometimes happens plus I was really able to spend the more time with each in the beginning instead of splitting my time as their siblings were in school when they were infants,  that being said it was not by choice they are that far apart but instead due to infertility but it has worked out well and hey I shouldn't have two in college at the same time!