Maternal & Child Community
cipro given during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

cipro given during pregnancy

i recently found out i was pregnant. before finding out doctor gave me cipro for uti, how dangerous to baby?
if you go to ciproxr.com it says that the safety effects on pg women have not yet been determined.
i would definately bring it up to your ob so that they know you have recently taken this.

good luck
~nanci
I had to take cipro further along in my pg with my DD due to a UTI. I do not know how safe it is in early pg but I can tell you that UTI can be VERY dangerous for growing embryo/fetus. When I took my cipro and asked my dr how safe it was she said "let's put it this way, the UTI could harm your baby more than the Cipro."

Hope that helps.
I took cipro for an uti very early on in my pg.  I thought I had a kidney stone so I went to the ER, turned out to be a really bad UTI.  They did a urine pregnancy test in the ER and it was negative (4 days before AF was due to arrive).  I only took it for 3 days because I was concerned what the side effects were and I felt pregnant even though the test was negative.  Turns out when I tested 7 days later, I was indeed pregnant.  I mentioned this to my dr. and the only problem was that with these types of Antibiotics, they absorb out much of the folic acid in your body and that as you probably already know can cause birth defects (i.e. spinal bifida).  BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN IT DID OR WOULD.  In my case, all seems well, I'm almost 27 weeks and all my blood work and ultrasounds have been perfect.