Maternal & Child Community
"click" in heart

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

"click" in heart

My one-week old went to the dr today & i was  told that she has a  "click" in her heart. Not a murmur  but a click.  She will be having an echocardiogram soon.
Anyone else exerience this? Just wondering what it coulld be.
Hi!
Well, some murmurs do sound like clicks. Also at times there is a hole in the septum separating the right atrium from the left, or in the septum separating the right ventricle from the left. When blood passes through this hole, it causes an additional sound. Another possibility is a stenosis or a prolapse at he valves. All this will become clear on the echocardiogram. Also in a small baby, the heart beat is pretty rapid and maybe heard as a click. Take care!
Thanks, i myself have mvp (mitral valve prolapse) and wondered if that may be the cause of her click, too. Don't know if it can be diagnosed in a newborn...i was 13 when diagnosed.