Maternal & Child Community
coffee and pregnancy test
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

coffee and pregnancy test

I have all the sympotms of being pregnant so I took a test on Saturday (last day of my period, which i completely missed) and it was negitive.  I did drink coffee all morning and no water.  Can coffee make a test go negitive even if it could be positive?  I am confused and need some advise.
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Im not sure about the coffee, but it could just be too early to tell using a hpt. Maybe try another test in a week. I took a test a day after my missed period and it came up negative, took another a week later and it was positive.
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
You said you took a test on Saturday, but did not mention the time of day.  Did you take the test with concentrated (i.e., first morning) urine, or when you had been drinking fluids all day?   Fluids will affect the test whether they are coffee or water, if they dilute your urine too much for the test to be effective.  Read the instructions that came with the test and see if you did exactly what they said to do.
Blank
I took the test later in the morning but not right away and I had allready had a lot of coffee.  I am 10 days late today.
Blank
202436_tn?1326477933
WHAT you drink is not going to have an effect on a pregnancy test...what will is the AMOUNT you drink.  By drinking too many liquids it will concentrate your urine therefore you will have a lower amount of HCG.  It's best to test with first morning urine as it is the most concentrated and will give you an accurate result.  
Blank
13167_tn?1327197724
I agree with everyone,  and in thinking about it,  I do think that drinking a lot of coffee might affect the test.  Not the coffee itself - but coffee is a diuretic and would cause your urine to be very dilute (clear),  you want the concentrated urine of first morning urine (darker).  
Blank
thanks for all the help...I will take another one to see if there is a difference.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank