Maternal & Child Community
colic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

colic

i no this is the pregnancy form but i seem to get better advice on this then any where else. my son is 6wks old now and he is colic at night he crys for hours and theres nothing i can do to help it. ive tried gas drops/ mylicon drops. walking him everything you can think of nothing works. this is causeing problems in my relationship, my bf seems to think that he needs to be put down and just let him cry it out, i think that he needs to be held and try to find something to calm him down. he (my bf) thinks i am babying him to much, my son seems to only want to be with me than anyone else. he my son crys when giveing to others.. i dont no what to do. i feel at times that this is ripping my relationship apart and im scared of that, but no matter what i am doing im getting yelled at from bf and still i have a crying child im getting stressed out from this.
can you spoil a 6 wks old?
i did the same thing with my daughter and shes 4 now and she seems some what spoiled but they are kids what else to expect...
ksanden
  • colic (3 replies):
    is there a link between epidorals and colic
  • colic (5 replies):
    Hi my baby is 2 weeks old and is having colic. Is there ...[more]
  • HELP ME (5 replies):
    so my almost 5 week old son Jamin has screaming fits fro...[more]
  • BABY CRY (3 replies):
    Hi ladies i just wanted to know what could be the reason...[more]
  • When did your colic baby peek (17 replies):
    Ok, as most of you know Ryan is colic. He has gotten wo...[more]
ok...first off, you cannot spoil a 6w old baby!!! I would not let the baby cry it out at this stage...I cannot even imagine that! havin a baby with colic can be very stressful. Did you know that your baby can sense when things are tense? Like if you and your bf are fighting, the baby knows and will become stressed and get upset too. do you breastfeed? There were many hours that I had to walk the floor forever to get my dd to hush and go to sleep. It takes patience and time. They have no other way to tell you that something is wrong but by crying. they depend on their parents to make them feel better. If you are breastfeeding, watch what you eat, this can make colic babies even worse..for my dd it was anything with tomatoes in it (pizza, spaghetti, ect.) that made her real gassy, also stuff like broccoli and some fruits. It is really a trial and error when you breastfeed to see what baby doesnt tolerate well. keep giving the mylicon drops...i went to my local walgreens and bought some stuff called gripe water...by baby bliss. You dont have to have a prescription for it, the pharmacy just has to order it for you, or you can by sealed bottles of it from ebay...they are only like 12$. That was a miracle, it took dd gas right away. Maybe you should give that a try!
Colic is a horrible thing to watch your baby go through.  My now 17 month old was a real gassy infant and the mylicon drops seemed to make him worse.  But what did work for him was a swing.  It is the only place he would sleep for the first six months.  He hated lying down flat because of the gas and also hated to be on his stomach.  You cannot spoil a 6 week old baby and the baby wanting you more than anyone because he is hurting and you are comforting to him.  Kierstynsmommy is right about the stress thing they definitely pick up on it.  The other thing that worked for me was one of the small heating bean bags. It has beans in it and you heat it up in the microwave (Don't make it too hot) and wrap it in the babies favorite blanket and put it on his stomach for a few minutes.  It helps get the gas to move.  Does your baby have problems eating as well?  Does he throw up?  If so it could also be reflux which is most commonly mis diagnosed as Colic.  Check with your Pedi to see if this is possible.  Good Luck!! I know it seems like there is no hope but it will get better
I know exactly where you are.  I have been through 2 colicky babies and it can be a huge strain on your relationship and a lot of stress.  You cannot spoil a 6 week old at all.  I would talk to your Dr. about it and see if there's anything they can do to help or any suggestions.  My second son is just pulling out of it at almost 4 months old.  He would scream from around 8 pm and cry till 5 am.  I was a wreck and have another kiddo too, so I got no sleep or break.  My son would also be difficult all day long and only sleep if held and preferred me too.  We had to switch formulas because he was reacting to them and also when I nursed him.  Finally at 4 weeks we had him on Nutramigen and also meds for acid reflux.  At 10 weeks they added medication and it did help loads, but he still fell into the night pattern of crying.  It was smaller though and still started around 8 pm with fussiness but the real crying held off till closer to 10 or 11 pm and slowed after 2 am.  Its an awful cry too, more like a painful screaming cry.  My little one would have a hoarse voice from crying and would even throw up from it.  All we could do was hold him close, and I found a pacifier helped at really bad times.  I could not put him down, not a swing, not for a car ride, not on top of the dryer, nothing.  Just had to hold him on his side, closely and bounce or sway and shush him loudly.  Worked for both of them, but it still took lots of time, and even then I could not put the sleeping baby down or I would pay for it.  At least another hour to calm the crying baby.  We slept in a chair in the living room.  He still sleeps with me, had lots of issues with colic and RSV.  Make sure you can take a break away from baby when you get really stressed.  I also ran a fan and that would soothe, and a white noise CD that sounded like a lawn mower.  So sorry for you, it will pass, but talk to your Dr. about it.