Maternal & Child Community
colposcopy while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

colposcopy while pregnant

happy monday all! for those who don't know, i'm about 20 weeks pregnant. right befor i found out i was pregnant, i had a routine pap smear which ended up coming back abnormal. this is the first time this has ever happened. the dr. called and said i needed to be scheduled for a colposcopy, a procedure in which they remove abnormal cells for testing. they ended up moving the procedure until September once i found out i was pregnant, so that i wasn't taking any risks by having it done during the first trimester. so, now i am schduled to have it on sept. 15th and i don't want to. the reason for the procedure is to rule out cervical cancer, so, i was wondering if anyone ever had this procedure done and/or if i should do it while pregnant. everything with my pregnancy has been great so far (knock on wood) and i just don't want to take any chances by having this done.

any opinions/input would be great.

have a good day! <3
I had a colposcopy before getting pregnant and although the procedure itself was painless I did bgein cramping terribly a few hours afterwards. So be very careful with your decision as it will cause some discomfort.
Good luck with your decision.  I would have a long talk with your Dr about the pros and cons of doing it now.  And also find out if
waiting till the baby is born could be life threatening to you.
thanks for all your input. i think i should have a talk with my doctor about the consequences of waiting, as i am not comfertable with haveing any kind of procedure while i'm pg.

lib and jrs mom - from my understanding they go in and look with a highly magnified camera and should they find any abnormal cell, they remove them, and test for cancer. if they are cancerous, they would go back in and remove all the cancerous cells from the cervix, most likely after the baby. if you were still early on in pregnancy and they found you had cancerous cells, they would advise you to abort. the midwife did say though that there have been women who had the procedure, found out they had cancer, chose not to abort and  went on to have healthy babies. i however, am quite far along and like you said, could go into pre-term labor and i don't want to take that chance....at all. i really think i'd rather wait until after the baby. it just sucks i even have to deal with it.
I had a colposcopy done during my last pregnancy at about fifteen weeks.  I never really felt I was in danger and wasn't given much of a choice as to whether or not to have it done.  I just had some minor cramping afterwards for about 30 minutes(no fun when you're pregnant but my doctor said was harmless).  If I had known of any risks I certainly wouldn't of had it done but since I thought it was safe I went through with it and had no problems from it, my pregnancy proceeded perfectly.  I asked my doctor what they would of done if the results had come back serious, and she said that had only happened once to a pregnant woman and they did a biopsy, and everything turned out fine.  I don't think your doctor would have you do it if the risk outweighed the benefit.  Hope this helps
First of all, have they done a second pap smear (at least!)? They should do another one just in case that first abnormal result was just a fluke. Second, have you been tested for the HPV virus? This is what causes most cases of Cervical cancer. I had several abnormal paps come back so I had to have a colposcopy. I never got a clear answer why I had abnormal cells and the dr said that they were nothing to worry about after the colposcopy. I switched drs after that and my new dr told me that the colposcopy that was performed was completely unnecessary because I had continuously tested negative for the virus. Don't just let them do these procedures on you without getting all the info.
i'm surprised they would do this with you being preg.  did they say anything about the possibility of it causing you to go into early labor?  if, worst case scenario, something came back abnormal after the colposcopy, what would they do then?  would they wait until the baby was born?  if so then why can't they do it when you're like 35/36 wks so if you do go into labor the little one has a chance?  not trying to scare you or be a downer, just trying to help you with some questions to ask the dr.  good luck to you and your little one.
Personally, I would not do it. I also had a pap come back abnormal while pg and my docs left it at that until a follow up pap PP came back abnormal as well. I had the biopsy, which detected cancer, had surgery to remove the cancerous tissue, and have had no issues with recurrance since.

It is your choice and i think that your docs should respect that. Waiting until your PP check-up should not pose any major health risks. My docs already had an idea it was more than precancerous ce;;s or dysplasia, but they also knew I had suffered 3 losses before that pg and they were not going to jeopardize it by doing the biopsy.

Andi
I can tell you this. I have not had the exact thing done as you are having, but I had two major surgeries (removing my ovaries) done one in 13 weeks and one at 16 weeks pregnant and no matter how much I did not want it, I had no choice. It was a matter of my well being and even though there were risk that my uterus could contract and we could loose the baby, I survived and so did my littlee girl. The stuff they used to put me under is very safe and it does not harm your baby. I guess, what you need to find out from your Dr. is can you go on for another 4 months withouth risking your life? Or if it is cervical cancer, is 4 months long enough for it to spread around? The one thing is for sure, if you have to have any surgeries done while pregnant, the 2nd trimester is the best time. Good luck.
thanks amy. no they didn't do a second pap because they said i did test positive for the hpv virus. so i guess they are sure that is what has caused the abnormal pap and now the next step is testing for the cancerous cells.

i will have the colposcopy done, i would just rather wait until after i have the baby.
when i was 17 i had a pap smear and they said i had cancerus cells on my cervix they did a biopsy and by my next check up it was gone they said it was some weird flare up butits all gone ive had plenty of paps since then and nothing so dont be too worried about it
I, too, had an abnormal pap and colposcopy prior to becoming pregnant.  They biopsied the abnormal cells during the colpscopy and it was found to be just slightly abnormal and due to HPV.  They waited 3 months, did another pap (abnormal results again), did another colposcopy/biopsy and decided they should do a laser ablation surgery to remove the abnormal cells.  I scheduled a pre-op appt., but got pregnant before then.  My ob/gyn did no further testing while I was pregnant...explaining that I would have to start the whole process over (paps/colposcopies) after delivery.  I started over and ended up having the surgery in Dec '05 (it is possible, at any time, that your body takes care of the problem on its own.)  I've had one normal pap since the surgery (they want 3 im the year after surgery) but am now pregnant again.  So they've stopped all paps of course till after delivery.  I, personally, would wait 5 month until you're post-partum.  How much further damage can be done in that short amount of time?  My situation did get worse, but it was almost a year from the time my surgery was originally scheduled to the time I had it done.  I would be more concerned with the health of my unborn baby.  You need to do what's best for you in your situation.  Good luck and best wishes to you with whatever you decide.
My cousin had an abnormal pap in the firt few weeks of her pg.  They sent hre for a colposcopy..but not a culture.  As far as i know, by definition, a colposcopy is just the viewing of the cervix.  With her, they used special lights.  They didn't do the culture (removing cells) for fear of manipulating her cervix to dilate.  I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to do anything to your cervix while pg.  But, her's came back irregular.  They said they're not going to press any further than looking until after the baby's born.  They told her that the odds are it's related to the pregnancy and most times it disappears shortly after delivery.
Hello I just had one done during my last pregnancy due to HPV. I had my son 19 months ago. It really is no big deal at all it doesn't even hurt. It is just like getting a pap almost. The HPV and the colposcopy do not affect the baby or the pregnancy i any way. I would just let them do what they have to do. You and the baby will be fine. I also had to get another pap done 3 months after the birth because the birth itself can heal the bad cells. As per my doctor. There is no danger at all honestly. It sounds horrible but it really isn't. You really want to know what is going on in there believe me. I had to keep going every 3 months for a year to get a pap and it is gone. I get normal paps now. HPV is very common and most women don't know that they have it. I had a mild case and it went away. Good luck to you it will all work out okay.
Hey girl!! I am 22 years of age and I am four and a half months pg. This is my second time being pg but I had a miscarriage with my first one. I wish you luck and I know it sound bad but be sure to ask plenty of questions so you will have a good idea how the procedure will be.. I pray everything goes well...
I am 25 weeks pregnant and just had a copo done.  This was the third time I have I had to have one.  I was nervous about it now that I'm pregnant.  She said she would just do the cops and not the biopsy unless she had to.  Well I guess she didn't like what she saw so she needed to.  It didn't go well.  She only snipped a little piece.  She doesn't even think she got enough to biopsy and I was bleeding uncontrollably.  I was so crying and feel like I was gonna faint.  My Dr. and the nurse were putting stuff on the floor to soak up the blood(sorry).  All of a sudden the nurse came running in w/ a surgeon.  My Dr. said I was gushing so they need to give me a stitch or two!!!!  I was freaking I'm pregnant it's not like they can use any numbing treatments.  They got it to stop luckily before they stitched me.  My Dr. said she never wants to see a pregnant woman bleed too much!  I would think about it.  My baby is fine, but I will be waiting till I have her to continue any treatment!
my daughter 16 and was 12 weeks preg, went to doc on tuesday , he did a colposcopy and did a biopsy, after that was completed he did a viginal ultrasound and "said" the baby didnt have a heart beat, so a DNC was schedualed 3 days later. My daughter bout lost her mind. with 2 and 1/2 days her body started rejected the baby. He also had her on bactrum?? for a UTI, which clearly stated on the bottle not to use when preg or breast feeding but we thought the doc should know better so she took like prescibed 2 weeks before her miscarriage. I think its utterly immoral to let a woman walk around, get sp depressed knowing her dead child is inside of her. I was told from the hospitol he is affiliated with that he dont like teen-age pregnancies, (but i woulnt be able to prove that in court of law) nobody wants to get involved. but im just here to warn you. If the doc gives you a colposcopy there is a great risk of tricking the cervix into labor. trust me i know. i had laser surgery on my cervix for cancer cells and i wasnt pregnate but for 24 hours i felt like i was trying to give birth to baby that wasnt there. And i will sue the doc who made my child lose her baby. Justice will be done right by my daughter and the lose of her baby and not to mention her state of mind, for making her wait 3 days. Thats obsured.
Hi I am having a colposcopy as my smear came back with low legions on my cervix on friday and Iam 14wks pregnant, I also have to have an ultrasound on my left breast as they also found "2" 1cm soft lumps.Needless to say I am scared. Is is safe and is there a risk of miscarring after having a colposcopy? And wish me luck for both tests. Im happy yours turned out fine.
i had a appt to have a copo done after a pap test came back abnormal.i waited about a year bc i had no insurance and had finally saved enough to go to a dr.when i went to my appt,i found out im pregnant about ten weeks now.im really nervous bc were i waited im afraid its to late and could hurt my baby.what are my chances its not so bad
I'm 8 weeks pregnant and just found out that my last smear was abnormal.  I had the smear while I was pregnant and didn't know.  I've now been asked to go for a colposcopy and thinking I would rather wait until the baby is born to have biospy taken.  I'm happy with having them exam with the microscope, but not take any snips!  Ewwww!  Hopefully the baby will clear everything out when it comes down the shoot!  Good luck to everyone out there going through this same thing.  It's not nice being a woman sometimes!
I had an abnormal pap smear and ooked myself in straight away for a colposcopy. Had the procedure done, and the next day found out I was pregnant. The results of the colposcopy then came back as high grade lesions, and the Doctor said that I would need Loop Excision surgery, but seeing as I had now found out I was pregnant, treatment would be delayed until the baby was delivered.

Jump forward to 5 weeks later, and an ultrasound has revealed that my baby stopped growing at 5 and 1/2 weeks and I'll probably miscarry in the next 2 weeks. Can't help but think that the colposcopy had something to do with it...

Then again, maybe it happened for a reason and I'm meant to get the LEEP treatment done now so I can be totally healthy for my next pregnancy *fingers crossed*
I am roughly one week pregnant and my doc is making me have a colposcopy tomorrow, i asked for a blood HCg test b4 so i could make my mind up and my doc said i have no choice i do not know what to do
I had one done at 7 weeks. I was told I had no choice and it was safe if the inside area where the baby is was not tested, only the outside area. Make sure you are HPV postive before this is done or there is no need. I lost my baby to the date of that coloscopy and now am left to wonder with only ultrasound pictures at 10 weeks. My babies heart stopped beating at seven weeks. The size shows it on the ultra sound pictures. I think that anything that cuts you and then makes you bleed lightly for a week is bad while pregnant. I wish I never did.
really if i had one done not knoing that i was pregnate and i am so supprised that this baby is still here i had this done at 6 weeks and i am 14 weeks now. my new OBGYN that i went to was mad at my last doc because i told him that my period the month before was not normal for me and that i wanted aniother preg. test done because the at home said negative. and he did not. the baby that i am having now if fine but think what it could have done. also if you are POS for HPV that being pregnate makes you immune comprmised and this can cause dysplasia(mild) and an abnormal pap as well. when you are pregnate your body can not keep it at bay. my doc said that alot of times when they do the pap again at 6 week post delivery that it has cleared up on its own. he said that he has seen that alot. i have the up most faith in my current doc and not so much in the last one that i had. i would hold off and see where all of this takes you.