Maternal & Child Community
constipation in 4 and a half month old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

constipation in 4 and a half month old

okay so ds has been on pablum since monday and has not pooped since then..usually he goes 2 days and then will poop like crazy..i am getting a little worried...my mom said rice cereal constipates as well does barley but that i should consider oatmeal cereal for him to keep his poops regular...is there anything i can do to make him poop other than bringing him to the dr???
The cereals constipate.  His digestive system is still changing and the cereal is harsh for the baby.  Oatmeal is just as bad for constipation.  Try giving him 2 oz of water.  Not tap water, bottled water.  Just make sure it is room temperature.  Also you can take a thermometer and try to help him go to the bathroom.  The cereals make the poopie pasty which might be hard to get out.  
You might also try prune juice.  When my daughter was that age, we had the same problem and our pedi suggested we add a little prune juice to the bottle or cereal.  Just a little--like a tsp or so is what I added, I think.  You might want to check with your doc or nurse to confirm how much.  

Also, once your little one starts eating things besides cereal, the "P" diet helps constipation.  Food that start with "P" usually help them go (Peas, Pears, Peaches,etc).  I still give my 2 year old peas at least once a week---they are one of her favorite vegetables(really!)

Good luck.
My daughter was also constipated, first they tried Karo syrup 1 tsp per 4 oz bottle. This was wishy washy, not a real remedy. Unless he is eating alot of cereal for medical reasons. back off, this is the constipater culprit! Also... upon you docs approval try a little apple juice, worked for mine. Only infant formula of apple juice, contains much less acids. Call your docs nurse for help. They gave me a script for her constipation, but, the taste was so bad and the side effects even worse that we immediately stopped it. Be weary of anything un natural.
ditto wth the last poster(faithful) my daughter is 1 and half moth old and i took her to the ped. b.c the constipation and he said to use 1 to 2 tsp (try using 1 tsp first if u think he need 2 then try two) of dark karo syrup to two  4 oz bottle in the day.. this helped my baby girl.......maybe you can ty this also.. hope your baby boy feels better....
thats great ideas..i will wait till monday and in the meanwhile i have been giving him a little bit of water..i used to give him 1 ounce every 2 days or so but now i think i will stick with 2 ounces a day i mean since he is actually eating and not just drinking milk...and if it proceeds i will call his ped monday and see what he reccomends..thanksso much ladies
A couple of years ago i took a training on infant massage.  There are specific techniques you can use to help with gas, constipation, colic and reflux.  It is hard to explain because mostly i demonstrate these massages. from his belly button to groin cup your hands and move downward...like scooping water.  do this 6-8 times.  The pick his legs up and do the same technique. Rub his belly in a  circular pattern.  Always go clockwise.  If you go the opposite way you can back everything up.  Try this twice a day.  I am not saying it is going to work but i have had a lot of famlies that it does work for.  If you ever wanted any handouts or picture demonstrations i could send  you some.  Hope it helps.

Keri
thanks alot...i do the leg thing and do rub his belly..i didnt even know it was a massage i just noticed everytime we see the doc he does sumin to his belly but mind you my ds cries with him and doesnt with me...but he usually poops.withint a 12 hour frame..he didnt this time though..thanks alot
I am in awe, doesn't this send off alarms for you?This isn't rocket science. STOP FEEDING THE SOLIDS, don't try to work around the fact his digestive tract is not ready for it by giving him more garbage, stop giving him cereal or solids of any form. He only needs formula or breastmilk...period.

Good grief, that poor baby.
well as a matter of fact ive been told its normal for cereal to do this...when he was first born he was also always constipated and he still gets here and there...read all the previous posts but all children are different...oh btw... im happy to report he JUST pooped about 30 minutes ago lol.. to my worry I thought it would be really hard and it wasn't anything of the ordinary...so i suppose he was fine...
That's great.  I'm sure it's a relief.  I know I feel relieved when my son goes to the bathroom.  I also like that they are in good moods after going.  

AndiJ78 - as an FYI babies can become constipated from breastmilk and formula as well.  
his poop was really green which his ped said the iron is what makes it so green and too much of it can constipate...i started him 2 days before i saw the ped and i told him and he said good i think it was time due to his weight gain and whatnot...hes not a big guy but the doctor seemed to think it was good and to up his milk  depending on how much he needs...
As a mom, I would do anything to prevent constipation. The first indicator that the baby isn't ready for cereal is the constipation. His digestive system is not ready for it just yet. Giving water and juices just prevent him from getting the nutrition that he needs from milk or breastmilk. Yes, babies do become constipated from formula or breastmilk. This is a sign of an immature digestive system. Definitely not ready for cereal just yet.
Formula is constipating due to all the iron in it and it is quite uncommon for a baby to become constipated from breastmilk alone. I don't need an "FYI" from you, I am pretty well versed on infant nutrition.

Pushing solids in a baby that already has experienced feeding issues is begging for problems. Take a minute to think about what you are doing to your baby. Why would you give him something that is causing so much pain and irritability? It is unecessary for him to be eating solids at this point. You are only substituting something with little nutritive value in place of something that provides complete nutrition. Sort of like filling someone up on plain iceberg lettuce instead of a balanced meal.
ok so im wondering if he isnt ready then it means that if he was to stop..and i were to begin him around the 6 month mark he would NOT be constipate. That every mom who has waited to put their baby on cereal until 6 months can say their baby was NEVER constipated in the beginning...??? could everyone who have older children and who have waited till 6 months guarantee this at 100%...cause now since this post...ive asked a few friends about this...one began her baby at 6 months and the others at 8 months(they were twins and a month premature) they were constipated...as well as ive asked another friend who has 3 children under 4 and she said all of her children experienced constipation the first week and to wait it out a bit unless ds is in pain but as ive mentioned he just hadn't pooped but did today..he usually goes poop anyways every 2 days and sometimes every day but he hadnt pooped in about 5 days...so after a week now that his digestive system could be getting better to stop him and then start it all over again...

im not saying he WAS always constipated on the formula..he did experience it when we brought him home and maybe 3-5 times after then....everytime it was always green poop...
As you know, Nadia is also 5 months old.  We are definitely waiting until the six month mark.  That is what the latest scientific evidence is saying is best for the baby.  The American Peds and the Canadian Peds society both say no solids until 6 months.  I am going to stick with that.

With my first, we were told to introduce solids at 4 months (she is 16.5) she has food allergies.  And migraines directly related to certain food groups.

I waited with Joseph (now 4) and he has no sign of any problems.  That is enough to sell me.

Yeah, I know lots of babies made it through being fed early, but now we know there is a better way to give them the proper start.  I just don't understand why anyone would feel the need to introduce solids earlier.

And I can honestly say that none of my kids were ever constipated on breast milk.  When I switched PJ to formula we had problems.  I nursed Joseph for 17 months and will nurse Nadia until at least 12.  Joseph was not constipated when I introduced solids.
My first suffered terrible constipation from both formual and cereal, at 4 he still has feeding issues.
My second, I waited off until 6 months, he barely touched cereal, we went very slowly and by 8 months was mostly eating table foods.
Never an issue with constipation.

Your baby, do what you think is right, personally I think your babies discomfort is a good indicator that maybe it's not quite the right time.
i thought i would update you all and just say ds has pooped 5 times today so far from about 1 to almost 7 he pooped 5 times and every time they were huge poops and decent..they were slightly a little harder than usual BUT not that much...he wasnt complaining of pain so...but it worried me..he has never pooped this much  unless he had diharea lol...but yeah he pooped..yay im soo happy for him
Karo syrup, molasses, and honey can give your baby botulism. My pediatrician told me this recently because my DD was having poo issues as well.

What she recommended was giving 1-2 ounces of water a day if your baby is a good eater (too much water can throw their electrolytes off!).

Also, it is normal for babies to go a few days between poops. Constipation isn't the lack of poop, it is about the consistency (hard pebbles). So don't worry if DS doesn't have another poop for a couple of days.
My son is 5 months old and his is eating solids. He has never had a problem with constipation at all. For awhile between 3 and 4 months, he could go less than normal, but never had any pain or trouble. Now he has a  poopy diaper about 4 times a day. If he would have shown problems such as consipation, pain and irritablity, I would have surely stopped the solids and waited awhile to re-start. (And did, in fact...I had him eating cereal way too early and stopped for a bit the restarted).

Max is a huge eater, he loves his food....but like I said, he's never had any tummy troubles (other than reflux that he's always had). I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, but please don't rush into feeding your little one solids if they are causing troubles! I know it can be fun to try new things, but don't do it at the expense of your baby's digestive system.
I wasn't saying "FYI" to be obnoxious to you, I was just stating that formula's can cause constipation as well.  My best friend breast fed her baby and he had constipation issues as well.  So I'm not trying to say you don't have knowledge of the nutritional system of a baby.  I agree that she shouldn't give her son the cereal so soon.  I also know that I tried it with my son as well too soon and it gave him problems with going to the bathroom.  I tried it and if she is comfortable with testing it out than that's fine.