Maternal & Child Community
cord around neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

cord around neck

Hi. I'm 38 and a half weeks, although ds is measuring 37.6 weeks (not TOO much faith in the the guy who read the u/s), and he said the cord is around the baby's neck, but loosely. Should I be worried? (I am anyways...) and I don't want to go to 42 weeks!
apple - do you have a doc,  besides the tech who read your ultrasound?  You're far enough along to deliver the baby by cesarean,  if need be.  

Best wishes,  and prayers for you and your little one . ..
At my ultrasound that I had a month before he was born they didn't tell me that the cord was wrapped around his neck. As I started having contractions it pulled tighter on his neck causing him to lose oxygen. I was rushed into a emergency c-section. Once the hospital got his oxygen back, he suffered seizures. He is now off seizure mediciation of Pheobarital. The doctors are hoping that the seizures are gone. After three weeks old they decided to give him a bottle. They waited so long because of a weak gag reflex. He is slowing only taking 20cc because he doesn't have a strong sucking reflex. He is still in NICU. My son is now a month old. I would tell your doctor that you want a c-section. I hope everything goes well. You do not want to end up in the situation that I am in now. I do not recommend it to anyone.  
I think you should insist to be induced right now, I lost my baby at 20 weeks to an umbilical cord accident.. I'm being induced  at 38 weeks (im 36 weeks right now) b/c my docs want to be sure it doesn't happen again, I wouldn't take no for an answer... I'm not trying to scare you, but this is a swerious issue...
they are not likely going to do a cesarean because the cord is around your babies neck. we deliver babies all the time with nuchal cords. after the delivery of the head, the cord is loosened and cut prior to the delivery of the body. during labor your baby will be monitored continuously and if they see the baby in distress they will intervine at that time. best wishes and early congrats!
Well, I have an appointment tomorrow but I can guess that I'll be told that since it's a loose loop I should just keep monitoring movement, but it's likely to work itself out in labor.

Now, at 19 weeks he did have the cord draped around the back of his neck, but not in a loop.

The thing is, they don't give me the option of induction or C-section where I'm at, unless "they" see it's an absolute emergency.
Hi, this happened with my last two boys, i went to 42 wks as i monitored the movements closely, i was induced with both. At both labours there cord did wrap around there necks tighter and there heart rates did drop. They were going to do a c-cection with both, but the midwifes were convendent that i could get them out in time. They both had there bloods taken from there heads (that was alittle painfull, as it took a long time) and also there heads had little clamps on while inside me.When fully dilated and pushing the a midwife put her fingures inbetween my babys neck and cord, to prevent it getting tighter. It was all very uncomfortable, but they came out fine, one had a little oxygen. Like the above poster said Rita, the staffe are all on stand by, they will intervine when they have too. My children were both fine after this, no bad outcomes relating to there birth.
I wish you all the best.
With my 1st when I delivered her, her cord was wrapped around her neck 2X and she is fine.  With my 2nd I had a prolapsed cord during labor which my dr. fixed by putting some fluid back into the uterous and it worked.  I am 35 weeks now and very scared too, but I am sure they see it often enough and that is why there is not a panic.  I would call and just make sure that they are aware of the situation and talk to the RN or Dr. in your office.  Best of luck
I had a very high risk pregnancy and needed to have a high tech 4 D u/s every week for my entire pregnancy.
I was told that the cord was wrapped around my DD's neck like a scarf.  If they monitor it closely it'll be fine.
When I was inlabor and pushing, her heart rater dropped because of the cord being around her neck and they had to give me an episiotomy right away and pull her out immediately.  
She was fine.  As long as they're aware, it will most likely be ok.
girl, I'd be really scared, but I guess it is more common than what we know.
You need to talk with your doc about the scan.  I have heard that it is very common for babies to have cord around their necks.  However, I think you are very justified in being nervous.

Prayers for the safe delivery of your wee one.
what id be demanding a c section right now.
did they tell you to monitor movement thats ludicrouse what so when the baby stops moving get concerned well i hate to inform you your not going to like what i say but i have to and i apologise when the movement stops its already to late go down to the hospital NOW demand to be seen put your mind at ease.
again i am sorry for being so blunt but its the truth im a midwife and i see it happen all to often goodluck.
I would just ask your Dr. and tell them your concerns.  With my son they never did say anything about the cord at the end when they did an u/s, I never thought to ask.  My son had the cord wrapped around his neck 3 times when he came out though, they had to cut the cord before they could deliver his body.  He was fine and tolerated the induction well, they said usually a baby will show signs of distress if there is a problem though.  Couldn't hurt to ask, it will help you feel better.  The cord could also move, as much as the little ones move around even at the end. Good luck and congrats!
We just lost our son my wife was 6.5 months pregnant. the cord was around his neck and body so tight his body had marks on it. always talk to your doc about it my is a NICU nurse and Im a firefighter it can happen my heart is broken.