Maternal & Child Community
cradle cap??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

cradle cap??

hi,  Evy, is almost 4 months now, and yesterday I noticed her scalp is very dry and flaky.  It isn't red, or irrated, is this cradle cap?  she has a head full of hair, and I was told by relatives to use olive oil?  is this okay?  won't her hair absorb most of the oil?  any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I was told to use vaseline and to comb the hair with a fine comb.  DD never had too much and most of it comes out when we bath her.
DD has it bad!  She had it a lot worse when she was little.  Use plain old olive oil, comb it through massage head for like 15 minutes, rinse out with baby shampoo.  You really must rinse it out, otherwise the hair follicles get blocked.  I took this advise per a physician's assistant who is also a good friend of mine, and I have seen tremendous improvement since.
I think bath and body works has some special shampoo for cradle cap my sister in law used it on her baby and it worked pretty good she used olive oil alos
You can purchase a 'cradle cap' kit from the store or get one from your pediatrician.  No need to rush to the dr.  I would simply mention it at her next check up wich is most likely within the month, since they go every 4 weeks the first 6 months.   She'll give you something, or advice.  Do what she says.  
my daughter had it as well... the doctor told me "the three S's for cradle cap" to help cure it...

I cant remember what one of them was, but shampoo and sunlight are the other two.  if you live in a warmer climate, make sure you get some direct sunlight on the head.  

I didnt know about all the other tricks and I just used shampoo and sunlight and it eventually went away.